Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Flatcoat
    Scotland 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Battery Dead, AC Dead, Rear Lights stay on

Left the car for 4 days at the Airport Carpark. Came back to a completely flat battery. Opened the car with the manual key, then got the bonnet open after manually opening the other doors. Boost started the car and drove home (30 miles). AC wasn’t working and the screens keep turning on/off and rebooting.

Got home, turned the car off and still not enough power in the battery to restart. DEF fault, Gearbox not in park fault and AEB lights not functioning. To cap it all I turned all off got out and the rear lights came on and would not go off until the battery was Dead again......!!!

Land Rover assist due at 08.00 hrs

Rough tough go anywhere in any conditions....... NOT.

Car had its 1st service two weeks ago with Software updates.? Could it be these that are causing the issues..??
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

ouch lts hope its just software, Make me nervous about my first service though

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Left mine for a week with no issues

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Actually left mine for nearly two weeks twice with no problems, but there had been no major soft ware updates. Flatcoat, I see you pull a trailor, is this maybe a factor? I suspect not

• DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Could be something as simple as a duff alternator

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Mine did the same but drained on my drive overnight. It was the day after it came out of the garage in the summer just after a raft of upgrades. Not enough power to open the doors. It hasn't done it since but I think it was down to the ICTP not shutting off when the door pull should close it.
  • Flatcoat
    Scotland 

LR Assist took 20 mins to start the car this am. Initially only taking 9 amps charge and eventually started once the acceptance rate increased to 30 amps. Alternator working fine. Battery completely drained flat.

At least I found out where the Battery is..... never would have found it otherwise.

Drove 35 mile to drop car at Dealer and pick up the LR Assist 3.0 V6 Diesel F-Pace S.... nice. Thumbs Up

Disco no issues on the drive in and started fine several times once at the Dealer, typical.

Something killed the battery, but I don’t think the Dealer will find out what. Here’s hoping I’m wrong.

Nice idea about the InControl Screen but why never before.?
    Could something be happening when the car goes into “Sleep Mode”...???
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

They didn't definitively work out what caused the total battery drain for me either, the ICTP shutdown issue may have been separate. To be fair no major issues since that with later versions of the software.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Auto computer brains go stupid when battery voltage gets low - the other faults were likely spurious. Have had a couple vehicles that set strange codes and shortly after that the battery went flat. Our Volvo's battery almost even caught on fire once due to some short somewhere. Went to start it, dash lit up like a Christmas tree, all kinds of bings and bongs, and then a pop and sizzle under the hood. Got a shrug from the dealer and a new battery. Only ever happened once.

Aside from a reading light being left on, it could be a bad solenoid on a fan control or a bad thermostat, maybe causing the cooling fan to kick on after you walked away and not turn off, but I would think they would see a code of some kind. That happened on my Audi - kept having to jump it and only figured it out when someone came in to work a few minutes after me and mentioned it sounded like my car was getting ready for takeoff.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Re: Battery Dead, AC Dead, Rear Lights stay on

Flatcoat wrote:
    Left the car for 4 days at the Airport Carpark. Came back to a completely flat battery. Opened the car with the manual key, then got the bonnet open after manually opening the other doors. Boost started the car and drove home (30 miles). AC wasn’t working and the screens keep turning on/off and rebooting.

Got home, turned the car off and still not enough power in the battery to restart. DEF fault, Gearbox not in park fault and AEB lights not functioning. To cap it all I turned all off got out and the rear lights came on and would not go off until the battery was Dead again......!!!

Land Rover assist due at 08.00 hrs

Rough tough go anywhere in any conditions....... NOT.

Car had its 1st service two weeks ago with Software updates.? Could it be these that are causing the issues..??

If the battery is that flat/dead/discharged then and alternator will not re-charge it, reason being an alternator needs a voltage to excite it and get it to work, flat battery means no voltage to excite and as such it will not work
    Give the battery a gentle charge to bring it back up to the required voltage and this may cure your issues but it will not explain why battery went flat in first place.
    Do you have a dash cam?

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Craigp
    England 

DieselRanger wrote:
    Auto computer brains go stupid when battery voltage gets low - the other faults were likely spurious. Have had a couple vehicles that set strange codes and shortly after that the battery went flat. Our Volvo's battery almost even caught on fire once due to some short somewhere. Went to start it, dash lit up like a Christmas tree, all kinds of bings and bongs, and then a pop and sizzle under the hood. Got a shrug from the dealer and a new battery. Only ever happened once.

Aside from a reading light being left on, it could be a bad solenoid on a fan control or a bad thermostat, maybe causing the cooling fan to kick on after you walked away and not turn off, but I would think they would see a code of some kind. That happened on my Audi - kept having to jump it and only figured it out when someone came in to work a few minutes after me and mentioned it sounded like my car was getting ready for takeoff.

Cooling fan in Scotland Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

If ones fitted its certainly not standard.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Left mine for 3 weeks + outside at Heathrow and no issues (I know this is no help) just thought Id say.
  • Flatcoat
    Scotland 

I don’t think it was a cooling fan issue,.....! The journey Home was -3C which was most probably the reason why the alternator didn’t re-charge the battery over the 30 mile journey as I was trying to turn off Front & Rear screen heaters, screens, AC etc etc.

All too much for the system.

• Flatcoat
    Scotland 

Diagnosis back from Dealer...!!!

New Rear Junction Box (I assume fuse box.?) required Thumbs Up
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Welll better than a software issue I suppose

• Forum Permissions