Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Mac
    United Kingdom 

Evening all,
    I had half an hour driving TD6 HSE lux yesterday and also sat in showroom First Edition.
    The first thing that struck me was the quality of the materials and finish of the cabin, in my opinion easily Range Rover standard it was excellent. This was a pleasant surprise as I was underwhelmed with pre production cars, but it was pointed out to me at the time that pre production cars are apparently not built to same standards.
    My only criticism of interior, as others have pointed out, was second row seats were significantly lower than D4, I think I would find it uncomfortable for long distance, not a deal breaker for me as it will be the kids in the back not me!!
    The car drove well, very quiet, very smooth. Body roll was better than D4 but certainly no RRS. Again as others have pointed out the engine did lack some grunt, maybe it needs running in I'm not sure.
    Other observations;
    I personally like the driving position, others have commented that it felt more car like than command position, I can't say I noticed that.
    Cooled seats worked really well, never had that option before.
    Quality of cameras was significantly better than D4, also rear camera has its own washer jet to clean it!
    Infotainment was very quick to operate, although I didn't get chance to have a good play.
    That's about all I picked up in the half hour drive.
    Cheers
    Mac
  • Rstebbings
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

The wife commented that the read seats were of inferior quality (not as padded) as the ones in the D4, she also hates the back end (looks like a people carrier).
    Didn't pick up on the washer for the rear cam thou - time saver Thumbs Up

MY20 D5 HSE Lux - Carpathian Grey
    MY17 RRS Dynamic - Corris Grey
  • sportcoupe
    United States 

It IS a people carrier.
  • Scrumps
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Firenze Red

Hi,

Just popped into the Dealers to call our car forward - 3 weeks early!

They had a spare slot in the days test drive schedule for the 3.0 TD - so off we went !

Having just got out of my RRS2 AB I'm not sure what I was expecting.

Driving position - Fine - as comfortable as the RRS2 - seats actually feel to be a better fit - but my back's quite wide - felt well supported. Head rests are softer than RRS (Demo was RSE fitted) so we'll see what "standard" one's feel like.

Instruments - I think the "binocular" speedo & rev counter are a bit of a let-down after a full TFT dash - but perfectly functional - Information panel in the centre is smaller then RRS (due to fixed gauges) - but perfectly adequate.

Infotainment - screen nice and large - better than 16MY RRS2 and certainly better then 14MY D4. Didn't have chance to play but seemed OK.

Back seats - didn't try - that's for the visitors when pilot & co-pilot seats are full!.

Storage - loads of - deep front cooler will hold BIG bottles.

Drive - Seems to pick up it's heels quite well, pulls well (for a car with 91 miles on the clock) - seems to "hang on" to the gears compared to the RRS2 - inadvertently got near the red line without to much trouble on the A303 off a roundabout !!!!

Wishes/niggles:- Looking forward to (hopefully) deployable side steps - have them on the RRS2 - getting "up" into the D5 with short legs will ......annoy! (Load space fuse box - Fuse 39 is already designated for them!)
    Rear seat belts - the buckles sit 1/2 way up the side of the seats and rattle on the plastic on lumpy roads - Can't see what can be done with the middles seats needing to fold - Should have had more LR design thought.

All in all - Roll on 10th March - I think Mrs Scrumps will be very pleased.

Scrumps

Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
    17MY D5 HSE / 16MY RRS2 A/B / 05 Defender90 CSW
  • J77
    Scotland 

Well had my test drive today, spent 1hr with the car on my own, so had a good play around. Overall I'm impressed, loadspace looks smaller than I remember it and the rear seats are lower and felt uncomfortable and head height not fantastic but can live with it. The overall quality is fantastic, feels solid and well put together, even the cat flap in the boot felt sturdy. Performance felt good, sprightly and though there was a it of body roll I didn't think it was any worse than any other large vehicle in the range.

And now , why I cancelled. Twice previously I went in to cancel based on price. I wanted an S but can't get upgraded headlights or the 3.0, without these it's a downgrade IMO. So explained to dealer that I would take my deposit back. "Don't worry your a loyal customer and a deal on an SE would be on the table" Well today that deal is non existent, can't make it work, no discount on new car no movement in the used value of mine. So I politely asked for a refund, which I wanted 3 months ago and only kept the order going because of this allusive deal. I feel as though they have an extra car and don't need to discount the new one because they can sell it for full price. I feel used. Evil or Very Mad

As impressed as I was, to me it ain't worth more than what I'm paying for my D4. So big Blue has returned home where it should've stayed in the first place, I may buy side tubes as an apology. I should've listened to my instinct months ago. I'm not disappointed as such more annoyed.

To those who are waiting for there D5s enjoy, it is a nice car overall and those wanting Namib Orange it is fantastic in the flesh, seen it today shining in the sun, beautiful.

So there is an SE going begging that will be built and delivered before the tax hike Thumbs Up

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 

Scrumps wrote:
    Instruments - I think the "binocular" speedo & rev counter are a bit of a let-down after a full TFT dash - but perfectly functional - Information panel in the centre is smaller then RRS (due to fixed gauges) - but perfectly adequate

Agreed - will miss the TFT screen. I quite like moving the Sat Nav to the dial-area. Will miss this, and it's a shame when the technology is available.
  • J77
    Scotland 

I'm back

Original car coming, deal much more appealing for me, so everything signed and sealed just waiting for delivery to me, which at worst will be 25/3/17. build date still 10/3/17.

well chuffed Very Happy Very Happy

Pentland Cupar Bow down

• PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Good news J77

Dealer up offer?

Edit: just read the D4 post excellent 😊

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • bill wright
    United Kingdom 

Well done for hanging on in there. £500 for waiting 24 hours. keep on at 'em, and you could have the car for free at £500 per night. Laughing

MY15 D4 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone

Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Test drive done...

As we're currently in a 10 year old D3 with 151k on the clock, a D5 2.0 with 29 miles on the clock is going to feel very different. And it did!

Overall very impressed. 2.0 engine I'm fine with (D3 is 2.7) so a bigger power jump than if I was used to a 3.0. Driving position great. No grumbles from the 2nd or 3rd row passengers.

My only disappointment isn't to do with the drive, but the rear end styling. It's bordering on clumsy. But it will probably grow on me.

The one I have on order is due to be built 10th March and they are hoping for delivery before 1st April. But that's going to be v tight in my view. JLR and dealers want it by 31/3/17 as I think it's year end for JLR and dealer's Q1 targets will finish on that day. The cars have to be physically at dealers for them to register.

I don't buy that they're trying to please punters by getting in with the lower tax bracket. It's unlikely to make people canx their order in my view.

But v happy if I'm a month away from delivery!
  • J77
    Scotland 

My build date is the 10th and been guaranteed delivery before April.

• dlks151
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Had my drive in a TDV6 HSE Lux today and was pretty impressed by it overall. Performance is better than my D4 and the V6 has a nice note to it, gearbox is seamless, handling is excellent much more stable, and the stop/start is better for sure.

However, on the practicalities of ownership, seating in the front is fantastic, storage is not a patch on my D4 (door pockets smaller, rear storage compartments worthless), rear seating if way too low and offers little support, certainly not stadium seating as rear passengers look into the headrest, the rear doors offer really good access and grab handles on the B post are a great addition, the tailgate is a disaster to the extent that I'll need to park front end first at my work as the tailgate will hit the boundary fence as it lifts, the rear plank thing works of a fashion but could do with being 100mm longer/higher for me setting the guns out on, side steps are excellent as they are discrete and give me good access for fixing the fishing rods to the roof.

Generally pretty impressed, but more FFRR than Discovery, for this reason I'll be using my Defender more for the fishing and shooting trips as I just won't put the D5 into some of the places I'd happily put the D4, in fact I can see me replacing the D5 with the new Defender when it arrives.

Delivery is scheduled for 22nd March.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 

DiscoStu wrote:
    Scrumps wrote:
    Instruments - I think the "binocular" speedo & rev counter are a bit of a let-down after a full TFT dash - but perfectly functional - Information panel in the centre is smaller then RRS (due to fixed gauges) - but perfectly adequate

Agreed - will miss the TFT screen. I quite like moving the Sat Nav to the dial-area. Will miss this, and it's a shame when the technology is available.

Disco5 on the main screen, sat nav on the instrument cluster. Unfortunately the second isn't available on a D5 Sad

Click image to enlarge[/img]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum