Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• stingray
    Wales 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Discovery to be built in Slovakia

Heard on the news this evening that all Discoveries are to be built in Slovakia from early next year. Not sure how I feel about that. Better to get one of the last of the UK built or wait for the imports?
    Any thoughts?
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

My thoughts are you won’t be able to tell the difference (unless you strip it apart and look at stickers on components)

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • RB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I would expect an initial drop in build quality whilst they bed production in and get all the staff up to speed, however after 6-12 months I would expect similar if not better build quality

It still won’t help with the underlying technical woes of infotainment etc though!

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • Sodbury D5
    United Kingdom 

Does it make sense to move production of disco which shares platform with RR and RRS? I would assume they could all go down the same line as they share so many parts?

This just doesnt make sense unless the new Defender is also being built on the RR/RRS/Disco platform as that will be built at Slovakia also.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

They do all go down the same line, take a factory tour and you will see RRS D5 and FFRR all on the same line and intermixed.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

Maybe they need the extra capacity and the 1 line cannot handle it all, also labour rates will be cheaper, so they can reduce the shifts in the UK

• rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

I wouldn't expect any difference wherever they are built, at the end of the day they must pass the same QA checks I would have thought.

The biggest issue would be the loss of jobs for people at the UK plant.

• DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Any jobs lost, while very regrettable either way, are likely to be temps rather than perms and it should only be temporary while there is retooling in areas where hybrid \ electric capabilities are being ramped up significantly.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Motor Authority states the move is to reduce production costs on the Disco to bring price down, increase footprint across different labor bases to level out fluctuations in wages, while freeing up capacity at Solihull, presumably for a new EV production line.

1,000 contract employees have already found out they're losing their jobs because someone leaked it from internal documents weeks ago.
  • max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Cheaper work force is one consideration, but also Brexit. British companies need to stay in the EU.

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I can't honestly see the price coming down, as it's just went up for MY18 by at least 2k.

Charging £100 for the full size spare now, and when we ordered it last year it was free Shocked

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Sodbury D5
    United Kingdom 

Presume this means the Defender replacement is built on same platform as D5/RR/RRS in that case as that is definitely being built Slovakia.

Seems odd though to have one platform being built in two countries that are so close together. Maybe JLR platforms are so modular and interchangeable that this makes no difference.

James
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I had heard that the new DEFENDER would be built on the aged D3 / D4 platform ? Seems odd that the Disco should move but the RRS and FFRR will stay, maybe they are yet to announce the imminent move of the other 2 and are waiting for Brexit to kick in and drop that out with the fallout from that.

Could well be the whole facility is being moved and the original site will be utilised for R&D, head office and PR related bumff.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Sodbury D5 wrote:
    Seems odd though to have one platform being built in two countries that are so close together

You’ve never had a tour of Solihull, have you? JLR have had increasing, record sales for 7 years in a row. They want to build more but have run out of room. Plan - build one of the Solihull models elsewhere.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum