Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

The navigation system on the D5 is crap! It's by far the badest system I've ever had in the last 20 years, both fixed and portable... I've given up on it and won't trust it anymore - especially on long trips. Evil or Very Mad

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I have to disagree, now the sat nav is working I find it very good.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Must admit, i'm with Russell here.

Had a lot of sat nav systems, in BMW's, Merc's, VW's and LR's. None of them were perfect, and now and then you'd find yourself being routed onto a very small road, or maybe even a road that didn't exist (especially my ex BMW X6!). The D5 sat nav isn't perfect, but it is the best i've had.

Even the apps you can use on your phone, such as CoPilot, Waze, Google maps, Apple Maps, etc aren't perfect, but at least LR are updating their maps regularly and with my car, it seems to be relatively bug free.

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

No problems when driving back too Scotland from London a few months back.
    In fact I think i would still have been going round in circles if the car did not have a sat nav Laughing
    Took us straight back home from South London with no wrong routes as such.
    Only gripe is speed camera alerts which are a bit of a hit and a miss at times as it sometimes misses a camera and on other occasions it will alert you too the same camera Rolling Eyes
    I think as Scotland's road network system is no where near as complicated or congested as England's is, that
    going by some of the posts on here it looks like the more populated areas are having sat nav issues with taking people on the incorrect routes etc.
    No issues as such up here though thankfully.
    Heading too Birmingham on the factory tour later on in the summer so will report back then.
    Interesting too see how it navigates around the Spaghetti Junction. Rolling with laughter

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Craigp
    England 

I'm afraid I'm I am also in the other camp(not as good). It seems to want to take me on some very small roads which is fine when I'm not towing. No way of saying A roads only. Can't cancel with voice or tell it to go home. Mine may be different from the HSE but certainly not as good as the D4 in my opinion.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
    What I do not understand is it's insistence on returning to a duff route!

A local road shows 800 yards of heavy traffic because of a road widening scheme.
    I drive along a parallel road to pass around it, but at every opportunity the system tries to direct back onto the traffic laden road!

What is that all about?

Well today the sat nav agreed with me and took the sensible route!

Not sure if it is because it figured it out after I had ignored it's rote at least a dozen times or because I have just updated the maps?

Mind you the road I have been using is an A road and nothing has really changed.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

My ICTP satnav improved dramatically a few months back with one update or another. When I first got my D5, the routing was abysmal - during the 2017 eclipse, it would stubbornly try to route me back into the mix, while Google Maps found a route 2.5 HOURS shorter. Hours....!

Now, it dynamically reroutes almost as fast as Google, likely only slower because my phone is 4G LTE vs the vehicle's 3G connection. And they each return the same route including around traffic. If I depart my projected route, ICTP will reroute and suggest the same new reroute as Google does.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum