Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• annabelle
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Santorini Black

Anyone with cracked Alloys ?

I have just gone to have a tyre repaired and apparently it is due to the alloy being cracked. There is no sign of damage to the tyre or the alloy on the outside so not attributable to a pot hole ( not that that should be a problem anyway ! ) . Would be interesting to know if I am alone .....
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Wow! I thought it would take a hell of a pot hole to cause an alloy to crack!? Was the tyre repair due to a pot hole? I guess its difficult to know if both the tyre and alloy both suffered damage due to the same situation?

Don't think i've any issues with alloys, and (touch wood), nor my tyres yet.

But these roads in Hampshire are laden with pot holes, so I guess its only a matter of time! Laughing

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

It’s very easy to crack an alloy if you have low-profile tyres that are under-pressure.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Which alloys

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

As I posted before, the bigger the alloy wheel is, e.g 22's, the weaker the overall structural integrity is. Coupled with rubber band low profile tyres which offer less shock absorption from rougher road surfaces.

If compared too a smaller, stronger 18 inch wheel on normal profile tyres which have more shock absorption, then these will take a more severe battering than the larger rims in theory, before anything goes wrong like a cracked rim or puncture.

(I suppose it's like trying too snap a twig with your bare hands. A longer one is easier too break than a shorter one).

Apologies for stating the obvious but that's the best example I can think of Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum