Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Bike rack recommendations please.

We have two adult bikes and a caravan. Currently, we thave a couple of Thule racks that fit on the roof bars. This is a perfect solution - until you want to use a ferry! The ferries have a height limit of 280cms. My bike on the rack is about 283cms and, believe it or not, this caused immense problems last year, as the upper deck had to be cleared and raised before we could get off! So, I am looking for another solution. l am presuming that I have to look for a front fork mount so that the front can be lowered by a few inches.

Other than putting the bikes in the caravan, which is a non-starter, I was hoping that someone may have approached this from another angle and could offer some advice.

Thanks

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Lower the suspension to access height just until you get to the ferry ramp then raise it again. Thumbs Up

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The LR roof bars sit very high. If they are what you have, you could shave a few cm off with a different brand of roof bar.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

JonM wrote:
    Lower the suspension to access height just until you get to the ferry ramp then raise it again. Thumbs Up

I looked into this yesterday and measured the Actual difference between access and normal heights. It was about half ot the distance specified in the manual. It was just an inch!

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

JonM wrote:
    The LR roof bars sit very high. If they are what you have, you could shave a few cm off with a different brand of roof bar.

Yep, I thought about this as well but having spent loads on the bars and Thule racks, I didn't want to disgard them especially as I only plan to transport the bikes once or twice a year.

Thanks

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I know your original post was from last year, but I now have the same dilema after switching from D4 to D5. I had a witter 4 bike towball flange mounted rack on the D4, but the D5 has the electric deployable towbar, and I cant seem to find a rear bike rack I can use whilst towing the 'van. Maxxraxx seem to to te only one and are bloody expensive. From ths pics on their site I'm nore sure a 'van with Alko stabiliser hitch head would clear.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • gavinadams
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I know this is an Australian product but I’ve seen then these on the draw bar of some camper trailers.
    It can also be mounted on the tow hitch and I thought the design was very versatile.

ISI bike carrier.

There are a few example pics on this link.
    http://www.isi-carriers.com/customers/isi-...omers.html
  • Craigp
    England 

Unfortunately uk draw bars on caravans tend to be alot shorter than continental chassis so dont lend themselves as well to this type of bike rack. No experience myself just seen it discussed on other forums.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

May be worth talking to them especially if you only want to carry two bikes, they may well be able to do one for UK vans

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

The roof is a long way up to put and get your bike, and if you have an expensive bike, bugs ruin the finish, and roof bike racks create a lot of drag and noise.

Hitch racks...the only way to go. The bikes are in the slipstream of the vehicle, and you save the roof for other accessories such as a roof box or gear rack system.

Yakima
    Thule
    Kuat

I have a Yakima DoubleDown 4.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum