Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• arsi
    Finland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Tow bar not available

I have the electric deployable towbar and this was second time I used it.

After use I was folding it from the touch panel and before it was fully retracted there was a warning tone from the rear panel and message 'Tow bar not available'.

I went to see what happened and tow bar is now hanging loose below the rear bumper. From the rear control panel it starts to move the bar but after a while it stops and gives warning tone.

Touch panel now only says that 'Tow bar not available'.

There is/was no obstruction that I can see. Tow bar just is not able to fold.

I can move the tow bar by hand but it does not lock in either position.

Is there any method to reset the functionality? Just pressing the rear panel button does not work. I have tried this now a dozen times. Short and long presses.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Just seen a VW Tiguan with same issue whilst in holiday in France left the owner stranded and unable to move caravan not a good place to be
    Was also told by my supplying dealer to avoid the electric deployable tow bar as they can leave you stranded sorry probably not what you want to hear

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Mine has done this!
    Had to be completely replaced two weeks ago.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

The towbar does not have a separate reset routine. If it loses its position just a normal press makes it reset and calibrate itself. If as you say yours is just moving and not managing to get to either end properly it sounds like it has suffered a failure. You will most likely need to get it replaced by the dealer.
  • Roddison
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 SE Fuji White

Ours has just failed and became 'loose' whilst we were towing a trailer with a race car in it down the M1
    AA recovered the trailer and I must say they couldn't do enough to help......the car is going into the dealer on Thursday.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Thats the reason why we always go for the fixed one. I remember the dealer was querying me why we never went for the deployable? I told him about the failures and other issues, which he played down. Basically told him point blank that not interested, as was really pushing me to change my mind. Not sure if they were getting a bonus on selling the deployables or that if they were quicker to fit than the fixed/removable ones, but the deployable was alot more expensive to be dealer fitted, £2k plus compared to just under 1k if fitted at the factory if I correctly recall.
    So I suppose it was just about profit, pushing for the deployable Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

When we brought ours I was going to go for the deployable one but was advised against it by dealer as they have had lots of issues with deployable ones failing and leaving people stranded.
    Intrestingly when in france at the start of August a VW Tiguan pulled in that was 3 months old. When he unhooked the caravan the tow bar went from the upright deplyaed position to hanging down and not usable.
    VW assist did not want to know and told him it was nothing to do with them but a caravan problem.....................He was not impressed. Eventually the AA came out (Yes in France, a British van and fitter) and stripped it down to find a sheared locking pin, new tow bar required and still VW assist would not help other than arrange for the car to go into a French dealer for repair.

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Craigp
    England 

Had mine over a year now no problems experienced. My only criticism would be that the alarm for deploying and retracting isn't loud enough I sometimes find I have to draw passer by' s attention to it operating. Laughing
    Also on a serious note I do like knowing the nose weight. Which i don't think is available with a fixed bracket.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

No nose weight not available but having said that there was a post on here saying the nose weight gauge was not very accurate, anything up to 25 kilos out.
    Personally I use a nse weitgh gauge before setting off
    Intrestingly I was told that Volvo are going over to totally electric deployable bars with no other option available, not sure how true that is but intresting if they do go that way

• Craigp
    England 

It only gives you a range so I'm happy if it's between 100 and 150kg.
  • arsi
    Finland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

New tow bar now fitted and working so far.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum