Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I had 3rd service, 10000 miles yesterday. I complained, said I needed to know what is going to happen as this is unsustainable. They said oil change is warranty and that a new software update is coming end of month, which will cure it. Can it??
    I have also written to LandRover asking what they are going to do.
  • Labbix

I don’t have the service plan, as here you can not take it, but so didn’t pay for the oil change, and was never asked for. But I wouldn’t have paid neither as too many errors on my vehicle, most software, but even hardware: AEB, fridge, speakers not working from start, no WiFi or hotspot while ordered and I can go on. I’m absolutely baffled with the non existent JLR HQ customer support until now and with the obvious non existing quality checks when leaving the factory. To give an example: I could buy, but not here locally, with a huge discount a brand new FFRR because the factory messed up the outside painting (wrong colors of body and chassis, really ugly) but even this passed the factory’s ‘quality checks’, they admitted no one had seen it, truly unbelievable, a shame I was asked not to put pictures of it... says enough I suppose
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

My dealer has told me to protect myself from the cost of early services I'd need to purchase the service pack, and I have 90 days from the date of delivery to decide if I want to. So far I have not. I was planning to look into it further....

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Since digging into the problems I've had with Oil Dilution I have now been told by LR customer services that they now realise there is a problem with oil dilution depending on the driving style of the driver.I have now been told that oil dilution can/may be expected at the 5;k mark so if you have the service plan you can expect/have four oil and filter changes free of charge between each regular service and after that expect to pay £300 for it.
    They didn't tell me how many 'Phase Four' up grades to expect but I've had one and booked in to have another this Friday because I keep loosing my Sat Nav, telephone connctivity and the Radio plays silly bu***s. and lose the ability to selecy the USB option. I'm beginning to think I should have boughta KIA Sorrento.
  • Craigp
    England 

Im sat here reading this whilst in Hatfield LR waiting for my 3rd oil change since new 13500 miles. Although they are going to wash it .
  • Craigp
    England 

Just returned from having a oil change. It seems their expectations of distance between services have revised somewhat Rolling with laughter
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

I'm really regretting buying mine and have asked LR customer services what would be a reasonable period of time to expect a vehicle to be rejected and ask for my money back, no reply yet !!
    I am seriously considering buying a Sat Nav from Halfords as back up as mine can't be relied on so far and when I lose the vehicles Sat Nav the telephone connectivity goes too so I have to get out of the car, walk some distance away and use my hand set ,lets hope it isn't pouring down with rain Sad
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mine is still off the road waiting to get a service booking!
    I think it is absolutely key that anyone with oil dilution/early service issues, must write/email (don’t just phone) to JL customer services and make a formal complaint. Otherwise they can say they didn’t know.
    I’ve phoned and I’ve now written and had automated response to say they are concerned and someone would phone me within 3 days to discuss. That was 2 days ago.....
  • stick
    United Kingdom 

EmcC, I believe you can reject up to six months under the consumer rights act, so you probably need to decide pronto.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Thanks I'll look into that after Friday's up date.
    I have since been quite impressed with the KIA Sorrento.
    Even my son's Dacia Duster has a better camera and Sat Nav than what I have at the moment and it only cost £15 k with a five year warranty too.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Qwertyd5x wrote:
    Mine is still off the road waiting to get a service booking!
    I think it is absolutely key that anyone with oil dilution/early service issues, must write/email (don’t just phone) to JL customer services and make a formal complaint. Otherwise they can say they didn’t know.
    I’ve phoned and I’ve now written and had automated response to say they are concerned and someone would phone me within 3 days to discuss. That was 2 days ago.....

When i took mine in, with a get this rectified now attitude that comes with spending a vast sum of money on a vehicle that does not function correctly, the service manager was baffled as to why i hadn't booked it in advance? I some how struggled to explain that it had done blown thro 6,000 miles in 8 weeks and not stuck to it's 12 month regime as i had expected. When he handed me the keys back i then tried to book it in 2 months later for another oil change, which really confused him. I was two weeks out, that round of 16,000 miles interim lasted 10 weeks tho not 8 as i had figured.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • LukasW
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

A question for those who had their oil tested for FIO:

How big sample do you typically need and is it possible to suck it from the fill tube?

I am contemplating to have the oil independently checked before it is changed by the garage especially given the last time they just reset the counter (ehm "applied a sw patch") and I suspect the car estimates the dillution just from the last reset and the actual one might well be twice that. But I would prefer not to play with the release valve under the vehicle.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Keep in mind this is a US lab, but Blackstone Labs only requires approximately 3 ounces / 90ml of oil to test for many things including TBN.

You should suck it out of the tube that would be for the dipstick, if it had one - that's what it's for. I don't believe it's very easy (or even really possible) to thread a tube down through the block via the fill port. Blackstone sells a small extractor and tubing as well, which the sample bottle fits onto for a mess-free extraction.
  • LukasW
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Thanks. The "would be for the dipstick" tube is this one at the upper left corner with the black cap? (I'm confused a bit by the fact it's bent):

Or is it located somewhere under the plastic cover of the engine block?

Btw I haven't opened the hood many times before, so was quite surprised how empty the engine bay is and how much space there's in front of the engine. I know it's designed to accommodate an inline 6, but I was impressed nonetheless.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Yes, that's it, far upper left. It's actually a tube that goes all the way down into the bottom of the oil pan, placed there explicitly for vacuum extraction - basically a soda straw. My extractor has a rubber fitting that fits over the mouth of that tube - no need to snake an extraction tube all the way down into the oil pan, but you can if you need to. There are no obstructions in that tube so when the vacuum extraction tube stops going in, it's at the bottom.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum