Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

Front camera as dashcam

Finally a carmaker started to use the front camera as a dashcam. I always wondered why they didn’t. Credits go to... Tesla.
    When will the herd follow? Wink
  • Coffeecup
    United Kingdom 

with cameras all round my Disco 5 I would thought that it would provide very good dashcam footage in the event of an accident - even a rolling 10 minute record would work (with ability to perm store a chunk after an accident).

I think it's a real safety opportunity missed by Land Rover not to add this sort of feature.
    Laurence
  • Labbix

Non of the makes have it, only Tesla from now on and only the front camera.

For sure a missed opportunity
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I agree, but there would have to be the option of turning it off. Not everyone wants what is in effect a telemetrics in the car.

I fitted front Blackvue with absolutely no problem. All wires hidden, connects to the aux socket in the top glove compartment. Haven’t looked at putting the rear in yet.
  • Labbix

I have the blackvues as well, but not fitted yet, as not sure am keeping the car.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I’d bung in the front camera.

I put the Blackvue camera to the left of the mirror, ran the cable to the top and it fitted in between the rubber and glass. Then I ran it down to where the join is in the A pillar and down to the triangular plastics near the passenger door. Popped that and went to the back of the top glove box. Drilled a small hole at the back of this and ran the cable into same. Then I just connected up the aux socket.

It switches off automatically and engages when you open a door, start etc. Still keeps you within warranty as it not hardwired.

If I ever take it out, I can put a rubber cover on the hole I made. Think it was 10mm drill I used.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I installed my Blackvue pretty much the same except for not drilling a hole into the top glove box. Cable runs from the A pillar down to the glove box lid. Can't see it at all with the lid closed. One day I will hardwire it into the fuse box.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Labbix

I bought the battery pack as well, so I will hardwire everything. But first I have to see how I install the back camera (I think Road Runner has done it already)
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

My NextBase power cable is routed similarly to how others described but further down into the fuse box area behind the lower glovebox. I used a micro2 piggy back fuse holder to plug into fuse 53 if I remember correctly. It wasn’t in use but had ignition switched live which is what Is needed. It’s actually harder to find an earth under there so ended up with a croc clip onto the aluminium cross beam between the two glove boxes. All hidden and easy to remove if needed without any tools!

Jon
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

That’s a good idea.

I am paranoid about knocking the vehicle out of warranty. I had a similar hardwire solution to you in a D4 and sometime after had ignition problems. The main dealer concluded it was due to the hardwire and charged me £280 for investigating the matter. I argued the toss, but got nowhere.

I the pulled the hardwire and the car showed identical symptoms a week later, so I kicked off. Bottom line was a faulty ignition button, so I got my first service for free to compensate instead of a refund.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

My blacvue is hard wired to a powemagic which is connected via piggy back fuses to the board behind the glove box and uses an existing earth screw connection on the bar just above.

All wires completely hidden and no drilling at all. No reason for it to affect the warranty as no wires have been tapped in to or intereferred with in any way.

It can all just be unplugged and removed when necessary. Thumbs Up

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

At 10mm the hole at the back of the glovebox cant be seen plus you could bung on a rubber grommet if you wanted. I just preferred it to piggybacking fuses.

I’ve also got a Powermagic, but it’s unnecessary at the moment. Iam quite happy with it operating the way it does from the aux socket.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum