Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Nigel Tracey
    Switzerland 

Deposit value: 3-4 month lead time

I'm pretty sure that the early guys had a low order deposit scheme which makes sense as some have waited 12 months or so. Does anyone know what is typical as a deposit against a new D5 with the quoted 3-4 months lead time ?

Perhaps it's dealer specific as they set their own commercial terms and conditions ?

Thanks
  • Phil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I gave a £1000 deposit back in October and picked it up last week, Very Happy

I think the £1000 is pretty typical in the UK, unless any other members have a different experience?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I have never given a deposit on the 2 RRS and D5 I have ordered.
  • Nigel Tracey
    Switzerland 

Interesting...

I asked if the dealer had any stock cars coming in as the delay may be less and I'd pretty easy about spec and colour, too many options on that list.....

But they asked for a deposit of around £8k Shocked

I've bought 4 new (all stock vehicles) D3, D4 and RRS from them over the years so I was a bit surprised, never order a factory car before.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Deposits are a strange thing., if you are ordering a car not yet released I do not see it gains you very much.

For instance with the D5 I went to the Paris Motor Show to look at the car and came back and placed a firm order.

I was in the first handful to do so and was told I was one of the first orders. Putting a deposit down months or years in advance does very little and I was then ahead of all those as that had not confirmed a definite order.

With a car in production I guess t depends how the dealer views you and how much they think they can extract from you!

Most deposits are refundable, it is indeed a bit of a game!! Thumbs Up
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I gave a returnable £1000 deposit in November to secure my order

...... supposedly Rolling Eyes

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

My initial deposit was £500 last March. Another 2 deposits later of £500 and £1000 respectively and still nothing too show for it. Seems the later the deposit was payed the earlier the customer got the car. Obviously the dealer was wrong in saying that it secured priority delivery if deposit was placed sooner than later. Cobblers Crying or Very sad
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I think it depends on the dealers volume and allocation. I was 17th in deposit order which I stuck down about 18 months ago. I jumped up the queue a bit due to cancellations and being ready with a firm order and I am about in the right kind of range given the deliveries they have had. The queue though is only for the cars in an individual dealership so many have had cars earlier that paid far later and if I really wanted to be ahead you could find a shorter list at a different dealer. To be fair I know them and knew that I had total flexibility in what to do with it and that was more important, I wanted to avoid a long wait rather than being front of the queue and if I didn't like it I could get the money back or choose something else.

I wouldn't imagine such a big deposit should be necessary unless you have an unusually exotic spec that they would consider difficult to move on if you get cold feet, and I get the feeling they are not too concerned about having the odd "Stock" car to move on.

Also the production priorities will change and it seems higher spec and bigger engines are coming through earlier, but other factors will also drive this like delays on a given option.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I was 9th on the delivery schedule slot when I checked. Definitely March 1st delivery I was told. Well so much for higher premium models getting priority. First Edition is still on order. Been on priority 3 weeks plus and still not moved from the compound whilst others who ordered well after me eg in October (7 months) later got theirs on 1st of March. Now been told I should have the car by next week as it still needs checked. 3 weeks too check it, it's a joke. Am just wondering how many others are in a similar position to myself. Apparently alot of RR owners are not happy as their March 1 St deliveries have been put on hold as they are rushing out the D5 orders at the factory as they are being given priority, hence the chock a block excuse I was given. Factory is virtually grid locked with unfinished D5s apparently Big Cry

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 7th Mar 2017 9:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Me Big Cry Big Cry
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Join the club mate Thumbs Up

When were you expecting delivery and when did you pay your deposit??

Oh well at least I will have the Last Edition/ First Edition when It comes but if cars been off production for 3 weeks and still not checked I have a gut feeling something is wrong with it. Maybe it's an omen. Big Cry
  • J77
    Scotland 

My build date is Friday so who knows when I'll see it.

It's a weird and wonderful system, I ordered last June, £500 deposit others at my dealer ordered before me and they've been caught up with the missing engines. Mine has remained static throughout, lucky I guess.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

When are you planning/hoping to pick it up Jamie ?
  • bill wright
    United Kingdom 

£1000 deposit last July and that got me an invite to a D5 Open Day at Lode Lane. No priority in the LR queue though. My order was the first placed by Taunton ( allegedly Laughing ) and I'm still no nearer the truth.

MY15 D4 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone

Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Well at least you got something out of it! Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum