Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Panel containing jack

Has anybody else noticed the loose panel where the jack is held ?
    I took my tools out today to lower the spare wheel to check the pressure and noticed how easily the panel came off.
    When I went to put it back I thought it was a bit proud so tried pushing it in a bit more but the whole panel goes in and then springs back out so the whole side panel is proud/puffy.
    I looked at the catch on the panel that comes off and it just flicks up onto the other side panel, there doesn't seem to be any fixing points for the whole side panel.
    It stays up but it is almost just leaning against the side !!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

My jack panel cover fits OK - there's a little turny-latchy-thing that looks like it's supposed to hold the cover in place but it doesn't work. Unfortunately my battery compartment cover never stays in place unless I've got the cargo area full of stuff. Neither seems to fall off even when bouncing over rocks and things, but the battery compartment cover especially seems to just fit very poorly, with one corner that won't stay seated.
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

Coincidentally, I set all my tyre pressures today and did the same. The panel is a little flimsy and the plastic rotating catch doesn't feel 'commensurate' with the value/status of the vehicle.
    That said, mine stays in place ok. If yours isn't sitting correctly, check that the lip on the lower edge is in the right slot on the floor and also that the tools/jack are side-by-side. If one is atop the other, it may foul the cover panel causing it to sit forward.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Just had another fiddle and it fits but doesn't seem to have anything to hold it in place, the little fiddly thing at the top of the panel turns round to hold against the main panel which is flimsy as well.
    I must admit I have been over some bumpy ground in the past and it hasn't come away. it just doesn't look man enough to be held tight.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Had my local garage look at it and it is now sorted.
    The problem was the small cover is held in place with the fiddly thing against the main side panel and on mine that was loose too.
    The side panel is held in place by a bracket at the top which slides from left to right opening holes which the side panel 'Blobs' fit into and then the top slide is pushed across to hold it. The 'Blobs' are not just push shut 'Blobs'
  • benlawers
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) S Namib Orange

It appears that the jack doesn't quite fit in or out of the hole in the trim. Presumably the jack etc. is fitted prior to the trim at production and the design people didn't allow for the angle the jack needs to be at when it's pulled out, ending in a mess of bent trim and added annoyance which nobody wants when they already have a puncture annoyance to deal with. Big Cry
  • matt-westover
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

EMcC wrote:
    The side panel is held in place by a bracket at the top which slides from left to right opening holes which the side panel 'Blobs' fit into and then the top slide is pushed across to hold it. The 'Blobs' are not just push shut 'Blobs'

Ok so am having a nightmare getting the larger of the two panels on the boot to fit.

Don’t understand where the loose long piece of plastic goes? Does it fit to the large flap or onto the body?

Help would be appreciated? Big Cry

Current - 2018 Discovery 5 3.0 SD6 HSE Luxury Carpathian Grey Dynamic Pack
    Gone - 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury Corris Grey // Gone - 2007 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornaway
  • STOAT
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

This article may help:

https://www.disco5forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4491#p7107

The image below is taken from repair manual. It shows the inner side of the panel and how the long plastic extensions (yellow) retain the trim panel. Slide the locking mechanism back to release, forward to engage using screwdriver/stick approach referred to above.

Still really fiddly but maybe visualising the quirky design will help.

2017 D5 HSE Grey
  • matt-westover
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Stoat, thanks so much for the reply. Now it makes sense.

But to be honest - typical Land Rover, what a totally absurd design for a simple carpet flap.

How many people will take it off once and then it will just flap around for the rest of its left time, as they have no idea how it goes back together.

Current - 2018 Discovery 5 3.0 SD6 HSE Luxury Carpathian Grey Dynamic Pack
    Gone - 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury Corris Grey // Gone - 2007 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornaway
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I spent an hour trying to figure it out, I think someone on here pointed out how it fitted. What I’ve done is put a thick cable tie onto the latch which I can push to take it off and pull to put it back on. I little bit of the cable tie sticks out to make things easier.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum