Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

New found thirst !!

15,000 miles = 4 DPF 'oil dilution' oil changes.
    To & from work drive 12 miles each way mainly A road - 40 to 60 mph.
    On average once a month 100 mile trip each way to airport - all motorway - 70 mph.
    Vehicle stated MPG 37 - own calculated fill up to fill up 35 MPG.

Was told by the dealer & LR that with that MPG I am not driving the car hard enough.
    That's what causes my oil dilution issues.
    Have been told I need to run at about 2000 rpm to get & maintain a good DPF temperature.

So 2 fill ups in to my new driving style -
    Keeping to the speed limits (obviously) I have kept (as best possible) to the 2000 RPM advice.
    This means running in 'sport' mode to allow the car to be held in at best 6th gear.
    I am now at 24 MPG !!!

Will have wait & see if I get oil dilution issues still - normally for me about 2500/3000 mile intervals.

In summary it seems get near to the combine MPG quoted & get oil dilution issues.
    or
    Drive it hard (hopefully) avoiding oil dilution but have far lower MPG - somewhere down at the quoted town driving figure.

Another question - why have we got an 8 speed gear box????
    At 70 MPH in drive (8th) I am at about 1400/1500 revs?
    7th puts me just below 2000 RPM at 70 MPH
    6th puts me just over 2000 RPM at 70 MPH
    If 2000 RPM is the 'optimal' RPM - we don't need 8th, might not even need 7th?

So completes another rant !!!!
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Surely they (LR) are seriously taking the peewee? Shocked
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Interesting observations and I can understand where you are coming from.

Just another thought. Apart from the inconvenience, how much does an oil change cost. Is it cheaper to drive normally and get 38mpg and pay the oil service, or save on the oil service but pay the extra fuel cost of driving everywhere in sport at 2000rpm?

Pencil and paper (and calculator) at the ready......
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Out of interest, what speed is the car doing at 2,000rpm in 8th?
  • HDFB110
    United Kingdom 

2000 RPM in 8th equals 85 MPH + (where allowed !!)
  • Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Hi.

What engine and how old is the car? Did you buy it from new?

I've just bought the new 3.0 litre and they were really pushing me for the service pack, which includes 2 oil changes between services.
  • HDFB110
    United Kingdom 

3.0 TD6
    About 18 months old.
    I bought it as an ex-manager/demo car.
    I too have the service pack (5 year)
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

HDFB110 wrote:
    2000 RPM in 8th equals 85 MPH + (where allowed !!)

It makes no difference, I clocked just under 2,000 miles on the French Autoroutes travelling at 80+ and the distance to next service still dropped rapidly.

Probably not as fast a drop as in the UK though.
  • Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

I thought I’d originally avoided the oil dilution issues on my 14 month old TD6, had service indicator reset at 8,000 miles and then service at 10,500 miles, where I had full software update and N222 patch applied. Since then, it’s got way worse- on a trip from Scotland to Holland and back in Oct, averaged 32.3mpg, drove 1257 miles at an average speed of 47mph, but lost nearly 5,000 miles of service range. Now completed just over 2,000 miles since service and only have 8,000 miles to next service left! So on a long run, it dropped roughly 4miles to every 1 mile actually travelled - apart from a blast along a German autobahn at 115mph where it dropped at a 1-1 ratio! It’s just flawed and the sooner LR accept that and stop blaming it on driving style, the better as many owners are likely to walk elsewhere at this rate! ,
  • Labbix

As I still am without my D5, a month now at the dealer, I can’t compare yet, but first I was informed about the N222 update, and shortly after that they had done the N222v2 as well, meaning something was still not ok with the original ‘patch’. Maybe now they finally were able to write some decent software, as that’s what it is. Let’s hope for it!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Sw1gs wrote:
    ... then service at 10,500 miles, where I had full software update and N222 patch applied.

When I checked TOPIX, N222(v2) only applied to MY18, Could that be why it isn't giving the desired effect?

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Re: New found thirst !!

HDFB110 wrote:

Was told by the dealer & LR that with that MPG I am not driving the car hard enough.
    That's what causes my oil dilution issues.
    Have been told I need to run at about 2000 rpm to get & maintain a good DPF temperature.

You don't need to drive it like that all the time. The DPF fills with soot over time, and when the pressure drop across the DPF reaches a certain point, it triggers an "active" regeneration which is where the bulk of FIO comes from in a well-running diesel.

I would say if you want to try to avoid early service notifications, then once every two weeks or so just take it for a long drive in manual mode with the gears selected to keep your RPMs above 2,000 for about 45 minutes or so. That will likely produce exhaust temps sufficient to reduce the active regeneration cycle frequency. That should save fuel vs doing it all the time, while still providing peace of mind.

That said, several owners (myself included) have tested their oil and found the vehicle is dramatically overestimating its own FIO content, so it may not be an issue at all.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum