Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Newton
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Water Leak

Having taken delivery of my 66 plate D5 on Friday from main dealer in Bristol I wander out Saturday afternoon with the family for a look and play with the toys only to find drivers side footwell is full of water Crying or Very sad Censored Idea
    So having eventually got the dealers attention they've taken her in and feedback tonight is that its a windscreen seal issue. I understood that the problem was result of an air bubble in the bonding compound being glass and body work. Can't say I'm completely convinced as in my experience the contact patch of the bonding compound is quite wide and I just don't see that it is credible that an air bubble would lead to the sort of leak I'm seeing. I'm very surprised that a leak like this would manifest itself after 2 years. Has anybody else any experience of this?
    Dealer told me that they had had similar problems with 2 -3 other D5s and that LR was now looking into the issue.
    They've said they're now trying to dry the vehicle out so I'm concerned about damage to the head lining which unless its removed will be very difficult to dry if its got a felt type sound insulation medium.
    Any advice Question
    Takes me back to my first defender nearly 30 years ago and even that didn't leak that badly.
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Hi we've got a Discovery after 12 months we had a leak on the passenger side they replaced the windscreen and put new carpets in. That was September, got the car back and still love it. Ask for new head lining and carpets if needed.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Hissinsid
    United Kingdom 

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread1491.html

Also if its an “approved used” I think you have 14 days just to hand it back and say no thanks.

D5 2.0L HSE gone Oct 2018 and gladly forgotten.
    Not one day of trouble free motoring.
  • Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

When I dropped my truck off today for a software update, dealer stated they would be looking for potential windscreen leakage. Mentioned a service bulletin from LR directing them to do so on all Discos. Further stated, if it’s leaking, 90% of windshields break on the Disco when they break the seal to address leak. This will require another service visit as they will have to order the replacement.

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • Newton
    United Kingdom 

2 weeks on they've got the truck dried out but are now struggling to start it as damp has got into the electrics. Apparently they've fixed the leak, removed the windscreen and resealed it. Must say I struggle with the idea that a bonded windscreen starts leaking after 2 years but apparently dealer has seen several and LR are looking at the problem.
    Bit frustrated I had to nag them to drop the head lining to get it dried out and am pushing for replacement as I think its very difficult to see what damage has been done to it long term as a result of its soaking.
    Was told the electrical damage affects the main dash entertainment system, the amp, parking sensor module, a further module they weren't clear on and a couple of wiring looms.
    Just a tad frustrated.
  • Newton
    United Kingdom 

Just got so much better Twisted Evil Censored
    Have now been told that they think they need to replace the main body loom! Made specific to the vehicle - last one took 2 months to deliver apparently - had similar conversation with BMW Mini about a wiring fault.
    Even then they're not sure that there won't be further problems.
    ARRRGGGHHHHHHHH Censored
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Newton wrote:
    2 weeks on they've got the truck dried out but are now struggling to start it as damp has got into the electrics. Apparently they've fixed the leak, removed the windscreen and resealed it. Must say I struggle with the idea that a bonded windscreen starts leaking after 2 years but apparently dealer has seen several and LR are looking at the problem.
    Bit frustrated I had to nag them to drop the head lining to get it dried out and am pushing for replacement as I think its very difficult to see what damage has been done to it long term as a result of its soaking.
    Was told the electrical damage affects the main dash entertainment system, the amp, parking sensor module, a further module they weren't clear on and a couple of wiring looms.
    Just a tad frustrated.

Apparently they tested the waterproofness from the wrong direction:

Quote:
    "Land Rover has a test where the vehicle is put into a water tank at up to 30 per cent greater depth than it claims, all the doors are opened and the vehicle left for an hour, before the poor test engineer has to wade back in and check the vehicle will restart and crawl its way out of the flood."

• TechnoTurkey
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Newton wrote:
    Just got so much better Twisted Evil Censored
    Have now been told that they think they need to replace the main body loom! Made specific to the vehicle - last one took 2 months to deliver apparently - had similar conversation with BMW Mini about a wiring fault.
    Even then they're not sure that there won't be further problems.
    ARRRGGGHHHHHHHH Censored

I'd be rejecting that vehicle now.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

You would think that if they know there is a problem with possible water ingress, they would at least make the connectors/connections waterproof in the first place. Would save them the hassle of ripping up all the panels and replacing the whole wiring loom in the event of a leak.

My brother had a problem with his brand new D4 a few years ago. Blamed his Aux lights which he was adamant were not at fault and were on the car from new. The problem started after 6 months.

Anyhow cut a long story short had the car in for a week and replaced the whole wiring loom. Lo and behold, the problem was still not rectified.

As he had suspected it was only after the software update was he having issues. Even mentioned it to the garage who dismissed it. Needless to say he was not happy as they were adamant it was his Aux lights which were causing the issue, even though he had properly installed them with relay switches and the correct gauge wiring and heat shrink wrapping all the connections.

So after next software update all was fixed. Seems LR were quick to blame the so called non LR approved accessories and not admit it was their wrong doing in the first place.

Note to self do not splice into the wiring Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Water Leak

I have a 2 year old D5 which has gone through many of the same problems as others. I had it serviced mid week, and was just congratulating myself that it was the first time I had to put it in for only the service - nothing else needed fixing. Until this morning when I opened the drivers door and found the seat wet and the headlining was wet above the windscreen and down the windscreen door pillar !!

I took the car in to the local LR dealer and they called LR assist to provide a replacement as the body shop could not take it in for a week. I now have a 19 plate RR Sport Autobiography until my DS5 is fixed. The local dealer service department are excellent - shame about the D5 being less so. Not sure if I will be keeping it much longer now. Don't understand how a leak can start when it has been perfectly watertight for 2 years !!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Almost certainly the sealant or lack of around the windscreen, my MY17 failed after 2 years.
    No idea why it took so long to fail, but they took it out and reinstalled in a day and has been fine since.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Newton wrote:
    Just a tad frustrated.

Reject Reject Reject

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Newton wrote:
    Just a tad frustrated.

Reject Reject Reject

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I had a small leak in my windscreen at the top to the left of the rearview mirror...developed in its 2nd winter and it only occurred during car washes with high pressure water. Dealer replaced it under warranty with no discussion.
  • Phill
    United Kingdom 

I have the same problem on my FE. Windscreen seal failed 2 weeks ago with water ingress into the drivers side footwell. First I knew of the problem was when the info screen went blank, followed by other display screens etc. Luckily the car started so took it to the local dealer where all electrics died when I demonstrated the blank screens to the technician. Now have a RRS on loan for the duration of the repair whilst they sort the leak and fit a new windscreen and main body loom etc. Dealer says the last one they replaced took 4 weeks to get and fit the loom and replace the water damaged parts.
    Can't fault the service and support from the dealer, which suggests it may be a common issue but not happy about what the long term effect will be from water damage.

UPDATE!!!
    Still waiting for a replacement wiring loom from Land Rover - apparently these are made to order and are vehicle spec specific. Car was a FE so no variants...
    Anyway to cut a long story short I have decided that I don't want to risk the effects of water damage when eventually I get the car back so am in the process of chopping it in for a new Velar.
    Really liked the Disco but no longer need a 3L V6 so opting for a 240D. Hope I have made the right decision.
    Dealer has been really helpful and to be fair so have LR. Have had a RRS PHEV on loan for past 8 weeks which is excellent. Pity PHEV is not available in Velar yet.
    So its goodbye to Disco's.
    Good liuck to everyone who is experiencing water ingress from windscreen - it'll be a long wait to get it fixed

Last edited by Phill on 6th Sep 2019 12:24 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum