Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Engine/gearbox/emissions....

It’s with some trepidation that I write this. It may very well be the last post I write as a JLR owner.
    So far my 2018HSE commercial has had
    3 oil services
    2 new electric tow bars
    Rear interior trims cracked
    Powertail gate doesnt fit correctly
    Gesture tail gate rarely works

These have all paled into insignificance after what happened on Saturday night.
    I was on my way to a serious emergency.
    I went to overtake a small car doing 30mph on a clear straight 60mph road.
    I moved out and accelerated. There was a bang. A red warning triangle appeared on the dash alongside a red engine light.
    The car coasted to a halt with no power steering.
    The gear box knob was going up and down and all the lights were flashing. A warning came up on the dash saying gears not available for selection.
    I was stranded by the side of the road for two hours waiting for recovery and eventually was provided with a replacement vehicle 24 hours later.
    My car has been recovered to the garage but due to holidays etc can’t be properly investigated until next week.
    Im now terrified of this car. I was on my way to a motorway and what if I’d lost all power in lane 3?
    I feel physically sick writing this and I’m so sad... I’m never driving it again.
    I’ve started the formal rejection procedure. It’s so disappointing.
    The car is saying it has an emissions related engine problem.
    I wonder if this is all linked in to the early service/oil/DPF Thing?
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

That does not sound good...... i dont doubt that it is anything other than Early service, engine oil dilution, but trying to get anything from anybody at the other end to even accept the termilogy Oil Dilution just isn't happening ! I understand fully the other side of your dilema as mine too has been back 3 times for an Oil & Filter change ! That is all they do by the way ! there is no investigation into what causes the early on set and mine has been diagnosed over the telephone as faulty warning light by the case manager asigned to me by JLR Customer Services.... What an absolute joke they are !

JLR have and still refuse to accept that Oil Dilution is an issue, Back to your problem though, were you still in service interval ? This is the important bit, as there was a Memo produced by JLR stating quite clearly that any failure outside of the servce indicator is NOT covered by warranty, Hence the reason mines been sat on the drive since 24th Nov !

I've also asked about my Tow bar ? they said it wasn't important but then said 5 have failed catastrophically whilst towing ?
    Shocked
    Which seemed quite important to me but hey, when theyre blaming you for everything else you'd might as well take a hit on a runaway caravan as well...

All i can do at this point is give you some feedback on how mine is behaving, the last time i managed 1,700 miles between services, less than 2 months, 95% of the journeys made were Mtwy of 100 miles plus and all averaged 53 - 67 MPH. The car becomes lethargic, gear changes become laboured and some times higher revving dropping to increase revs on a hill or flicking between 8th, 7th, 6th, this is then followed ahortly after by a shaking sensation to the car, ONLY WHEN STOPPED, side to side and an engine note that sounds like its missing a few cylinders... quite violently, you woulndn't want to be in too long as it would make you feel sick, theres a fairly noxious smell that comes into the cabin and smoke can be seen coming out of the wheel arches, under the car etc, if i hit the stop start button it re sets it and we can carry on. As soon as i park it after the shaking it throws up the SERVICE NOW message.

So, i'm looking at getting booked in 28th January, as they are busy, so 2 months without car, it's just sat there. They said dont drive it...... so i'm not.

I feel that if i drive mine over the threshold it will do what yours has done, sounds like your DPF has gone, probaly clogging up as mine is doing, youve opened it up to overtake and its sooted up or its been restricted to begin with, So either the DPF or the Turbo ?

Good luck with the rejection process, i've a feeling yours will be sorted before mine as it has to wait a month before it goes in. meanwhile i'm without a car !

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

At least for mine, oil dilution is not occurring despite the Disco's best efforts to convince me otherwise, confirmed through oil analysis.

Sounds like Mightymildred suffered some catastrophic failure in the trans that may have caused some collateral damage in nearby emissions bits? Do share the postmortem....
  • robpenrose
    United Kingdom 

Was the engine still running or had it died?

First crankshaft on here gone??
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Shhhhhhhh, don’t mention the C word. Whistle Whistle
  • Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 

Diagnosis
    Low fuel pressure. Blocked fuel line. Contaminated fuel.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I'm surprised by that diagnosis, what would have caused the bang you described? I can't imagine a blocked fuel line would do that.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 

Or maybe it’s a fuel pump problem causing low pressure.
    The jury is well and truly out!
    All I definitely know is I don’t want it back!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum