Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Drrick
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

SD4 tuning options

Afternoon all,
    My wife has a 2.0l SD4 D5, and really dislikes the pickup when going on the throttle. I know the car / we would benefit from the 3.0 SDV6 but it wasn't a viable option when we were looking. So, anyone heard of any options for tuning our setup?
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

If you have any warranty left, just don't.

There are issues you could experience with that engine. If you tune yours, LR will not fix it under warranty and that could cost you a lot.

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Drrick
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Fair enough. Thought I'd ask anyway.

I think it's a deal breaker which means I'm on the hunt for a replacement car. Disappointing as we've only had this one a few months. Being predominantly driven in town, it means a lot of stop-start and jumping out of junctions. Clearly this combo of the D5 (lighter it may be, but its still a beast) and the SD4 isn't working and in some instances is fear inducing.

Real kicker is that we chopped a really good value RRS in for this D5, and a case of buyers regret is kicking in. Really quite annoyed.
  • chicken george
    United Kingdom 

On disco sport there is a way to reset the learning gearbox. This can reduce such problems, someone might know if this can be trjed on D5?

Chicken George, Land Rover owner for decades , and proud buyer of British products.
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Try DMS Automotive, they give a warranty with their remapping. They aren't cheap but a lot less cost than changing. Not sure if they do your engine but worth a call.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

On the D4 I used to use the Sand and Gravel setting on the Terrain Response if I needed a fast getaway. I'm told it works on the D5 as well but I've not tried it yet as the SD6 is pretty quick as it is. The other thing I had to do in the D4 was use the paddles at roundabouts as there was a noticeable lag in the gearbox if you tried to immediately accelerate after braking. Again that was a standard issue on the D4 and D5 seems fine.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I found that sand and gravel on the D5 is quite different from on the D4. On the D5 it seems much slower from standstill compared to the D4.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

That's a pity. It was a great trick on the D4.. The 3.0l has lots of pull already so maybe its been calmed down a bit.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

I suppose one alternative is to get a petrol D5 - ours accelerates like a rocket if you want it to

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

It does indeed TazDaz, but i think my rocket is bigger than yours Thumbs Up Laughing Laughing Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

check out the PedalBox i've seen some users in the fb page install them and they are really happy with how the accelerator now responds. mine is on the way i'll let u all know how it goes. really looking forward to it tbh

18MY All-new Discovery HSE SD4 Loire Blue & Black Pack
  • D5Dodge
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Farallon Black

I’ve never wished my 2lt would take off faster but if needed I’d just put the gearbox into S then back into D when under way..
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I dont think its the speed the 2Ltr will go at (as its not slow), but more the big pause you can get just prior to it taking off that can be an issue (and I think this is what the O/P is refering to)'

I get it occasionally (but not always), and the pedalbox mentioned above seems a good solution

Also - what year is your D5, as the 2Ltr is 240BHP, and up to the end of MY18 had 500Nm of tourque, but after dropped down to 440Nm, (still with 240BHP) so yours might be lacking that extra bit of grunt (as its the torque thats needed to shift the weight)

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum