Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

In control pro remote start

Take a look at this and what are peoples thoughts

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6...-fine.html

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

It is true that in the UK, leaving your car unattended on a road with the engine running constitutes a traffic offence. (It used to be referred to as 'quitting').

If you are on your own property, then this should not be an issue. However, your insurance company may have a different view should your car be stolen (this is more of an issue for people starting cars with keys and leaving them in obviously).

Also, if you have a vehicle fitted with a fuel burning heater and use that, then I would argue this is an entirely different matter, as you are not running the 'engine'.

The fairness of the law is subject to opinion.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I appreciate this and get what the law says. However LR do not refer to well to this in their on line manual or in the paper verssion which I would have thought they should and would have

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

I understand your valid point that Land Rover do not point out when and where you may be able to use this function legally.

I suppose that their 'get-out' would be that they make the cars, and it is down to the individual to understand the relevant laws in the country they are using the car in. I'm sure that somewhere in the driver manual, there would be a sentence advising the owner that is their responsibility to comply with laws etc etc.

They give you towing capacity and a tow bar if you want one, but it is down to you to know you can't tow in the outside / fast lane of a motorway, for example.
  • Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 

The first time you set up the App it asks you to tick a disclaimer along the lines of "it's OK to do this in the country I am in"

However the InControl start does so with the car being locked and alarmed, you cant get into the car unless you unlock it / have the key on you. Once you're in the car you still cant drive away unless you have the key, without it the gear knob won't raise.

Lets be honest it is in the Daily Heil!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Absolutely correct Bogblaster. But if there is an issue regarding remote start, I can at least fire up the FBH, just can't do it out of signal range
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I remote started the car today to warm up for 15 mins because I wanted to sit in it and fit stuff such as phone brackets and dashcam.

When I got in the car was running and warm, but nothing else was working, no dash illumination, nothing on the display behind the wheel either and they wouldn't wake up by tapping or swiping.
    I had to stop the engine and start it manually while I was inside the car and then everything started working.

What I'm taking a long time to say is I'm thinking that even if someone smashed the window to get in I don't think the car would be drivable if its just running by remote command?

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 

If you’d tapped the brake pedal it comes too life!
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Dodlestonian wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I remote started the car today to warm up for 15 mins because I wanted to sit in it and fit stuff such as phone brackets and dashcam.

When I got in the car was running and warm, but nothing else was working, no dash illumination, nothing on the display behind the wheel either and they wouldn't wake up by tapping or swiping.
    I had to stop the engine and start it manually while I was inside the car and then everything started working.

What I'm taking a long time to say is I'm thinking that even if someone smashed the window to get in I don't think the car would be drivable if its just running by remote command?

To "wake it up" you have to press on the brake pedal. Almost anything else shuts it all down. And if you don't have the key with you, nothing will wake up and it will shut down.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • robpenrose
    United Kingdom 

Does the D5 not have a FBH like the D4? Can’t you just use that to warm everything and save engine wear etc?
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

ForlornMTL wrote:
    Dodlestonian wrote:

To "wake it up" you have to press on the brake pedal. Almost anything else shuts it all down. And if you don't have the key with you, nothing will wake up and it will shut down.

So that's really my point - someone who smashes a window wouldn't have the key so the remote start doesn't allow them to steal the car.

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

robpenrose wrote:
    Does the D5 not have a FBH like the D4? Can’t you just use that to warm everything and save engine wear etc?

It's an option, not standard.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

robpenrose wrote:

DEfinately not an option on mine Whistle

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Chopsy wrote:
    I understand your valid point that Land Rover do not point out when and where you may be able to use this function legally.

Disco5 InControl section of the manual wrote:
    NOTES
    Some markets may prohibit the use of remote engine starting. The driver is responsible for knowing if this function can legally be used.

There's the get out Wink ...private land is obviously excluded in the UK but it would apply on the highway.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum