Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• arsi
    Finland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Power fold mirrors stopped folding

It was -24C this morning when I entered the car and pressed the start button. Engine fired with a couple of cough and for the first seconds it was clearly struggling to keep on running.
    It was only after I reversed off from my yard that I noticed the mirrors were still folded against doors.

I tried to unfold them pressing the two mirror buttons on the door but nothing happened. I stopped the car and was able to manually unfold them by turning the mirrors by hand.

Afterwards, when I parked the car and locked doors, mirrors did not fold as they have done. I manually fold them but they do not unfold anymore when I unlock nor fold when I lock. They have just stopped to work.

Probably just a blown fuse due to freezed motor/gears in the folding mechanism. Is this just my problem or has anyone else experienced similar. I have not seen or heard this in any other vehicle with folding mirrors.
  • Notxal
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I've had mine frozen, it had rained then froze overnight. After a short drive I used the door arm switch and they then thereafter functioned OK
  • Milky400
    United Kingdom 

post resurrection...

is there a way to stop mirrors folding upon locking to prevent them freezing? there was on my previous Velars

Thanks
    Mark
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

short answer...nope. My 2012 Volvo there was an option in the menu's to activate or not the folding mirrors, JLR have chosen to make them fold all the time. It is an equal pain when towing mirrors are on, they have to be mounted correctly or they impact the door.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Milky400
    United Kingdom 

That’s a right pain in e backside. I don’t understand the logic when they allow it on other models, also I must cause unnecessary wear too.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Hmm, if the manual is to be believed the dealer can configure this.

Quote:
    The door mirrors can be configured by a retailer/authorised repairer to automatically fold when the vehicle is locked, and unfold when it is unlocked.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

I might be mis-remembering this, but I think mine didn't fold when I first got it, and thought that was a backward step from the D4. Sure I found a menu item for it as they fold now.

ETA - Just been out to the car, but have to say can't find anything on the menu's! I did, however, find the tailgate had unlatched itself overnight.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

From the iGUIDE. It appears dealers have some way of enabling (and surely, hence, disabling) automatic folding.

Left door mirror adjustment.
    Right door mirror adjustment.
    Press both buttons to fold and unfold the mirrors.
    Press the appropriate button to select the relevant door mirror to be adjusted. The button's LED indicator lamp illuminates to confirm which side is active. Use the joystick control to adjust the mirror's glass.
    The door mirrors can be configured by a retailer/authorised repairer to automatically fold when the vehicle is locked, and unfold when it is unlocked.
    The door mirrors can be adjusted for up to 5 minutes after the ignition is switched off, provided the driver’s door is not opened.
    Garage mode
    If the mirrors are folded in before the vehicle is locked, the mirrors do not unfold when the vehicle is unlocked. Garage mode prevents the mirrors being damaged when unfolding. For example, in a tight garage spot.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Liam
    Netherlands 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Hey guys, just got my new to me 2017 Disco 5. Very happy overall, but a few minor niggles. Will normally be fixed under JLR approved warranty, however my dealer is 100 miles away.

One of the issues is the mirrors not folding when pressing the buttons . The adjustment works fine. Anybody have an idea about the correct fuse? I can't seem to find the right one in the owners manual.

Thanks,
    Liam

Current wheels: 2017 Discovery TD6, 2006 Defender 110, 2004 Mercedes E55 Estate
    Some earlier cars: 2015 D4 SDV6, 2004 D3 2.7, 1991 911 and a bunch of BMW's
  • Liam
    Netherlands 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Any ideas? The dealer replaced the control module, but that also did not solve the problem. At the moment it seems the dealer also has no idea, so they have contacted JLR UK.

Anybody run into a similar issue?

Current wheels: 2017 Discovery TD6, 2006 Defender 110, 2004 Mercedes E55 Estate
    Some earlier cars: 2015 D4 SDV6, 2004 D3 2.7, 1991 911 and a bunch of BMW's
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum