Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• frwamati
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Flat sitting Roof Rail Disco 5

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a very flat sitting Roof rail bar for the Disco 5 - i want to create a roof lamp lightbar like the SVX has is on the press pictures.....

This roof rail bar should be as low as possible. I have tried the Thule 9583 Wingbar which would work for the fitting and for being as low as i want it - the only problem is that the widest possible type of 9583 is approx. 10 cm short to fit the LR Disco 5 roof rails.

Is there anything else availbale on the market?

Cheers
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I'm not sure which Wingbar type you mean that are too short, but I have Thule Wingbars fitted to my flush roof rails:

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Google being my friend I think I found the type you mean, they wrap around the roof rail with a rubber strap. In which case they would only fit towards the front of the car as towards the rear, you wouldn't be able to wrap a rubber band around the roof rails as they are flush fit from the rear doors to the back of the car.
    If that doesn't bother you then you could look at Rhinorack Stealth bars - see here

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

The problem with mounting a lightbar to a crossbar mounted at the Discovery's built-in mounting points on the factory roof rails is that it's too far back - the roof would shadow it somewhat.

Consider the Land Rover "Versatile Roof Rack" VPLRR0153. The front of the rack has aero bars so it would be quiet, but that could complicate mounting, and you may not be able to open the sunroof.

I would consider mounting a slim lightbar such as Rigid's SR-series under the front edge of a roof rack system that installs in place of the crossbars to move the light forward. Rigid's are under 2" tall and they have a combo spot/flood pattern.
  • frwamati
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

thanks for the reply....

unfortunately Rigid has nothing that fits the D5 in lenght......

Any other ideas?
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Front Runner have a rack and various lighting options, but it may be more than you want to add to the roof

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/lighting.html

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

frwamati wrote:
    Any other ideas?

Rhinorack Stealth bars, see link in my previous post. I've seen those on a D5 so I know they fit.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

frwamati wrote:
    thanks for the reply....

unfortunately Rigid has nothing that fits the D5 in lenght......

Any other ideas?

There are multiple length options in Rigid's SR Pro series.

If you mount them to the underside of the fronf of the rack, I would buy 2x 10" and mount them similar to how the SVX has separated its two sets of lights, or alternatively 1x 28" and center it. The 28" is a spot/flood combo and over 17,000 lumens, so plenty bright enough for any offroad application. 2x10" are each over 7500 lumens, so better for a flood application but still very useful for off-road driving. I think Lucky8 mounted the 40" Frontrunner set on their Frontrunner rack system; Rigid has a 40" SR Pro with over 25,000 lumens in a spot/flood combo.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Did you ever sort this?

I have done it (twice now).

One with the roof rack, and now once with an led bar on its own.

I have the roof rack for sale (with 4 led spots) if you are interested.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum