Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

JLR Future? Question for UK members

First off this question is not to be taken negatively towards the UK or JLR. You can see how many Rovers I’ve purchased and I own Tata stock, yes, I invest in companies I believe have unique products in the marketplace and whose products I personally utilize.

Question: Is JLR going to exist in the future as a U.K. based manufacturer?

With the massive right down that just was announced, which was basically one half of market value, will we see most manufacturing transferred to Eastern European countries, with things like the name and special vehicles being the only remaining British assets....much like the Disco and upcoming Defender

What, when, how do you see the Brexit uncertainty impacting JLR specifically?

As I initially stated, this is not meant to be negative, I haven’t sold my stock and will be visiting America’s greatest and most important partner in early summer. Thanks

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I would imagine that every UK Land Rover owner would like to think there is a future for JLR in its mother country. Unfortunately JLR appear to be doing its utmost to alienate all who supported the brand of late.Brexit has had an undue influence on the Company's direction and decisions but that does not excuse the events we all witness on an almost daily basis. I feel sorry for the dealers that have invested millions in new showrooms and infrastructure, who must now be wondering what will happen.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

I've visited Solihull factory several times in the past six weeks.
    Yes they're moving production of the D5 to Slovakia which is a shame but all of the space vacated will be used to produce newer vehicles etc.
    Brexit or no Brexit, no deal or whatever, it seems to me these are not the main issue.
    The problem is indecision. Our politicians seem to be more intent on scoring points and bickering than getting things drone.
    Most influential companies are multinational and they make decisions today based on five year and ten year plans.
    If you were in the boardroom today intending to invest in a new factory or production line where would you place it.
    In the UK where we have no idea what the future holds or somewhere (anywhere!) else?

I know what I'd do.

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

The truth is that LR decided to move to Slovakia before Brexit was ever muted. It exactly right that Multi-Nationals are just that they dip toes in many countries and sell to most but I totally agree with the view that businesses need certainty and that they have multi year and even multi decade plans. They are also very, very mercenary and answer to share-holders and will go where they can produce something to a given standard at the lowest price. How else does Dr. Ralph keep his job and protect his bonus. Crying or Very sad
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Spot on Blackdog
    As you say the decision to move D5 to Slovakia was taken years before Brexit.
    They did this to make room for production of new models.
    They're currently busy with electrifying their vehicles self driving, and of course new defender.
    Last time I was there the guys weren't sure where defender would be assembled but they were sure that significant parts of it would be made at Solihull.
    Exciting times, I just hope our politicians can get the Brexit decision sorted before we lose what's left of our manufacturing base.

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I couldn't agree more Thumbs Up

Completely off topic but as you are from the same neck of the woods as me where do you service your car and do you rate them? Service at Chester is woefully slow and a bit hit and miss.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Judging by the articles of late, JLR is doing OK in the US, but it was an ill-timed or ill-considered decision to stay all-in on diesel in Europe post-Dieselgate, plus a trade war with China that is utterly pummeling the luxury car market there for all automakers. China is the largest car market in the world, with the US a close second.

When (not if) the trade war with China ends and their economy gets back on more confident footing, assuming that doesn't happen during another worldwide economic downturn, China's market will pick back up again and I would expect JLR's fortunes will turn around.

Whether JLR can survive in the meantime is the question.

Sadly, as in America, trying to build cars at volume in the UK is an expensive proposition. We too have seen much of our domestic brand production move outside our borders to Mexico in order for automakers to increase margins on less-profitable models while foreign automakers have moved here (to poorer parts of the country where unions are disfavored) to do the same by saving money on shipping costs. American automakers, with a few exceptions in a few models, have largely dropped their sedans and have turned to SUVs.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

China is not only the largest car market in the world, it is also the worlds largest electric car maker.

BYD based in Shenzhen sold 247,811 electric cars last year, far more than Tesla and is is backed by Warren Buffett.

China sold almost 1.3 million hybrid and pure electric cars last year, up 62% on 2017.

JLR have hybrid and electric cars in the pipeline but due to arrive for several years yet.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

And whatever car arrives whenever, JLR must improve their attitude to customer service, otherwise once lost to other brands they may never return.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum