Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• danr123
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Firenze Red

width restrictions

Hello everyone

Picking up a d5 tomorrow woohoo.

Whilst reading some articles I came across an article about newer cars becoming larger and too big for parking spaces. Then another article with a list of cars too wide to pass through a 6'6" width restriction (a well known consumer site) The d5 wasn't mentioned but the dsport was one of the cars mentioned that is allegedly too big.

I never have had problem getting the d4 through most 6'6" width restrictions. Having looked on the LR website it the d5 appears to 6'8" wide. May be my conversion is off but side by side the d5 doesn't look any wider than a d4. Can anyone confirm if the d5 will go through a regular 6'6" restriction. I'm not referring to those ones that were put in place by council contractors who are too tight to buy a tape measure and we all know of at least one or two of those ones in various places around the country Smile
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The D5 is 7'4" (6'9" with mirrors folded). Shocked

You risk getting nicked if you ignore 6'6" width restrictions. Annoyingly, this also includes the outside lane in a lot of motorway road works

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • danr123
    United Kingdom 

Hi many thanks for the info.

I managed to get the d5 through a 6'6" restriction round the corner from me. It was much tighter than going through it than it was in the d4 and I ended have to use the drive assist cameras otherwise the front passenger side alloy would have been modified by the kerb. Lucky it was quiet so i lined it up and then got out and had a look before going through mirrors folded.

I won't be attempting some of the smaller ones Shocked
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

So how much wider is the D5 than the D4?

I find some narrow width restrictions VERY tight in the D5 and only do-able with the cameras monitoring front wheel position relative the the kerb, and with millimetres either side!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • danr123
    United Kingdom 

It wont be long before central govt and local councils wake up to the cash cow potential of anpr camera enforcement for width restrictions, while we can drive through some of the 6'6" ones now once they are on anpr enforcement they will be removing the physical barriers and fining people instead all in the interests of road safety and reducing pollution of course!
  • cedzz
    United Kingdom 

Why has the D4 got two different measurements, or am I missing something?
  • UrbanSplash
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Silicon Silver

You can get a D5 without air suspension?!
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

cedzz wrote:
    Why has the D4 got two different measurements, or am I missing something?

two different wing mirror variants

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I followed a D4 into a carpark in Iceland and realised the D5 was somewhat wider. D4 squeezed through the curbs and got a ticket I thought nothing of it and followed through and had a real hard time squeezing past the ticket machine I had to mount the curb on the other side to get round it which then gave me a heart attack about hitting the roof!

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum