Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Jevs
    United Kingdom 

New to Disco5

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum for a while during my search for a replacement of my Disco 4.

I've just taken delivery of a new HSE SD6 with notable extras of electric towbar, TR2 and surround cameras. (One of the last ones out of Solihull FA2).

A keen caravanner living on an unmade bridleway and up a hill , the Discos are one of very few vehicles that will pull my 2 tonne twin axle Swift to my house. ( low ratio a must in the summer with loose gravel).

I'm busy putting on some miles before April when I start towing (not clear how many miles is sufficient). The handbook mentions not to rev too high, vary speed and not to labour the engine during the first 1800 miles, but nothing specifically about towing,

What an awesome vehicle it is ! I'm still getting to grips with all the tech and I can't work out yet how to set-up the Tow Assist.

Look forward to contributing as well now that I have what I believe is one of the best luxury tow cars !.

Jevs.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Welcome Jevs, I agree it's a belting car but it'll take a while to learn everything Laughing
  • Craigp
    England 

Welcome Jevs wrt towing I waited until i had at least 20 miles on the clock before i considered towing. Picked it up late evening drove home around 15miles and set off 1st thing to Scotland around 250 miles pulling a twin axle. Laughing
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

You will love the car and it is great for towing, tows our Elegance with no issues, only problem is keep and eye on speed as it can creep up esily Embarassed

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Regarding wear-in of the engine and drivetrain - the old maxim is a good one:. "drive it hard but take it easy." Vary the RPM across the range, give it the beans a little but don't redline it, and don't set it on cruise at a constant speed for a long time for about 2,000 miles. A bit of light trailering should actually help, and an oil change about halfway through the first interval is a good idea to get initial wear metals out - especially if you tow.

Most engines get a little time on a test stand before going into new cars these days but it's not enough for a full wear-in.
  • gavinadams
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

My SD4 2.0l HSE will arrive soon.
    The idea of an early oil change makes sense to me.
    What are people’s thoughts on when?
    My understanding is that The SD4 service interval is 34000km.
    So after 5000km, 10000km, 18000km?

D5 MY19 HSE SD4 Loire Blue - Ebony seats / Ebony headlining - Dark Satin brushed aluminium trim - 7 seats - Heated and cooled front seats - Privacy glass - Black roof rails - 360 cameras - Capability plus pack
  • Craigp
    England 

The early oil changes are built into my engine. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Considering the level of wear metals in the oil test results on this site I would be inclined to change it at 6 months (or half of my annual km's) then continue on the 12 months/26,000km that LR recommends for my TD6. The car has had 2 additional oil changes due to my driving style causing oil dilution at 3 and 6 months.

At the 6 month oil change my driving style was fixed by LR with the N222v3 software patch and it looks I am good to make it to the 12 month mark without any further oil changes. I will continue the annual oil changes as per schedule from now on.

If I had a SD4 that only needs a service once every 2 years, I'd be inclined to change the oil at 6 months, 12 months and then continue as per LR schedule. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car after the warranty period.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I second @IndusD4 's opinion - within the first 5-8,000 miles or so, and then don't reset the counter - let it expire on time and do it again on schedule. An oil analysis at each of the first 3-4 oil changes will give you an idea of how it's wearing in.
  • gavinadams
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

IndusD4 wrote:
    Considering the level of wear metals in the oil test results on this site I would be inclined to change it at 6 months (or half of my annual km's) then continue on the 12 months/26,000km that LR recommends for my TD6. The car has had 2 additional oil changes due to my driving style causing oil dilution at 3 and 6 months.

At the 6 month oil change my driving style was fixed by LR with the N222v3 software patch and it looks I am good to make it to the 12 month mark without any further oil changes. I will continue the annual oil changes as per schedule from now on.

If I had a SD4 that only needs a service once every 2 years, I'd be inclined to change the oil at 6 months, 12 months and then continue as per LR schedule. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car after the warranty period.

Thanks Ron and DiesakRanger
    I do about 15000 km per year.
    So the 6 month and 12 months to clear out metal shaves seems like a good idea.
    I’ll be keeping the car for at least 5 years.

Cheers

D5 MY19 HSE SD4 Loire Blue - Ebony seats / Ebony headlining - Dark Satin brushed aluminium trim - 7 seats - Heated and cooled front seats - Privacy glass - Black roof rails - 360 cameras - Capability plus pack
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum