Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

New to the forum and the D5

Hi all, Had many Land Rovers (predominantly L405's) but just about to take delivery of my second discovery and first D5. It's a used car and is nearly four months old. It's a Corris Grey HSE Lux SDV6 with HUD and low miles and a few other bits. Will be looking for advice no doubt in the near future so thanks in advance Laughing

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Welcome Thumbs Up

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I will second that, this is a great little forum.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

BlackDog Thumbs Up I'm relatively new to this site ( after quite a time on D3 version) and although it can't by virtue of D5's all being in warranty still, offer the same assistance as D3/D4.co.uk I hope eventually it will. But to date there has been plenty of assistance generally on D5 ownership issues.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

Really appreciate that guys. Thank you
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

Well by way of update and hopefully to assist anyone out there lurking who hasn't made up their mind I thought that I'd give my honest impressions having had the car a few weeks.

I'll start by saying that I get itchy feet when it comes to cars and change often as a rule. In 2013 I bought my first Discovery, a D4 HSE Lux and really enjoyed it but after a year (that's a long time for me) I bought my first L405, a Corris Grey, TDV6 Autobiography. Over the next few years I had another four Full fats including both 3.0 litre and 4.4 SDV8, an Audi SQ7 and a VW Touareg. Last month after being without a Land Rover for 9 months I decided I wanted to return and considered another Full fat, another SQ7 and of course the one that I finally plumped for the Disco.

I have to say that I am genuinely delighted with my purchase. In fact more so than I had expected. It reminds me of my old D4, which I have always thought was the best value for money car that Land Rover made and I'm left thinking that this new one is too. It's twenty to thirty thousand pounds cheaper than a similar age FFRR and for the life of me I can't understand why. It's just as big as my Range Rover, slightly more comfortable, almost as luxurious, very refined and very definitely a lot quicker than the 3.0 full fats and it feels as quick as the SDV8's that I owned. The interior quality is really good too and even if it's not quite Range Rover it's certainly no disappointment.

The audio system is really good. I've had the 1700 watt Signature system in one of my full fats and it's difficult for my ears to tell them apart. The tech is a big improvement and I personally find the HUD great and much more feature packed than in my pre-face-lift Range Rover. One downside to the tech is that no matter what I do I can't get the smart phone app to include the smart seat adjustment screen on the InControl app.

It's not perfect though; some obvious things for me would be the option to have a five seater, with the accompanying extra storage area that would come with it. A double sun visor would be useful for those sunny drives and some netted storage in the boot would be handy. Whilst I do like the winged headrests they aren't quite as good as in the Full Fat, so they could be thicker with more range of movement on the wings but I suppose I'm nit-picking.

To summarise where I am at the moment would be to say that I'm very contented and happy to be in the best value car that Land Rover makes.
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Great car, welcome to the forum. I've had my Discovery for about 18 months and I still love it Thumbs Up

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Excellent review Blackdog Very Happy
    Good hearing from a previous FFRR owner, and the comparisons.
    From what your saying the D5 is nearly on par with its big brother Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

Thanks guys. It’s appreciated.

I honestly think when all things are considered, that this car would give the full fat a good run for its money. Sure there are something that the Range Rover does that would edge the Disco and in that same vein where the Disco edges the Full Fat but honestly, nowhere that I can think of do I feel like it’s more than a percent or two difference between the two. And for that comparison I’m talking about the Autobiography in the FFRR because even the Vogue SE now doesn’t get some of the essentials like Addaptive Cruise Control.

I had a new shape RRS Autobiography for a month whilst one car that I eventually rejected was being argued over and I have to say that I grew to dislike that car. It was plenty quick and handled better as it too had the SDV6 and had obviously stiffer suspension but it was too stiff for me and lots of things were paid for extras. In my opinion and for my needs the Disco is a very much more pleasant car to live with than the RR Sport
  • nickground
    United Kingdom 

Blackdog, really great feedback. Like you I have itchy feet but have tended to stay with LR. As a result I've had 4 L405s including two supercharged. My perennial D3 is now getting very long in the tooth and I have been offered a D5 HSE Lux by my 'helpful' local dealer. Your experience and comparisons have made up my mind for me. I'll be ordering that D5.

D5 HSE Lux SDV6
    D3 2005
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

Hi Nick, have you been on any other LR forums as your name is familiar? Is the Lux you are after the SD6 because I'd certainly recommend it even if they are a fair bit more than a similar age TD6?

I really don't think you'll be disappointed. It's early days for me I realise but this is a really good car. It's almost as posh as an L405. It's pretty much as refined. The new SD6 feels as quick to me as the SDV8 in the full fat (okay not like the 5.0 SC). It's got more usable kit than a 3.0 VSE for £20K less, is every bit as big and makes you feel just as good. Without doubt it's the best pound for pound car in the Land Rover range IMHO.

Let us all know what you think when you've had it a week or two Smile

Hse Lux SDV6
  • nickground
    United Kingdom 

Hi Blackdog, yes was a regular on the fullfatrr forum but not been there for a little while as I have had a dalliance with an Alfa Quadrifoglio and an RS4 while satisfying my LR itch with the D3.

I had two FFRR SDV8s before the 5.0SCs. I was looking at getting a used SDV8 when I went to the showroom and then did the math on the D5. The deal is close to being done on a brand new HSE 306bhp rather than the nearly new Lux.

Hopefully I have a two day test drive booked from tomorrow and on your feedback I am really looking forward to it.

D5 HSE Lux SDV6
    D3 2005
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

I too was a member of the FFRR forum so that's obviously where I remember you from.

I think you'll be impressed. I honestly don't feel like a second class citizen driving it, in fact I'm really chuffed with it. And when you park it people just see it as a big work-horse, rather than something that causes a bad reaction in some people who haven't perhaps been able afford such things and don't believe others should have them too.

It won't go like your Alfa or your RS4 for that matter but it's quicker than you might think. Enjoy your test drive Thumbs Up

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Great thread Blackdog. Your comment on image is a key reason why we were very tempted with a D5 vs X5 and RRS. Then I drove the D5 and realised it was the best choice for many other reasons too...
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

Nice to hear that Equilibrium. The new shape X5 is a nicely made machine with top end tech but it’s not something that I’d be rushing to buy. Same for the RRS as it’s taken the same path which is to focus more towards the sporty end of the market. For me big SUV’s should be comfort biased, quick enough in a straight line and enough creature comforts and tall. And tall doesn’t go around corners quickly I know but who needs to get there fast, I’ll just leave ten minutes earlier and enjoy the ride.

Good luck with your new purchase, I’m sure you’ll love it and I see from a different thread that you managed an 11% discount which is great stuff. 👍

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum