Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chatuge
    United Kingdom 

Newbie asking for advice on SD4 HSE Lux

Hi All... This is my first post. I'm looking to switch from 12 years of driving X5's into an HSE LUX SD4. I've driven it twice now and quite surprised that the engine isn't underpowered. It feels like it suits the car. I am scared to death though by the reports of bad build quality, corrupt software and bad electrics. The car I'm looking at is an Ex Management MCP car (I've seen the V5 and it shows MCP so I'm led to believe it was a car leased to an employee). Its done 12K miles, and was registered March 2018.

Can anyone give me advice as to if some of the early gremlins from the D5 will still be in this car/build year?

I've already found that the curry hooks broken, and the eject button on the climate control needs pressing ten or so times before it'll flip down the compartment!

Anything else I should watch for?

And Oil Dilution - Is this anything to worry about on SD4?
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

I have a March 2018 build SD4 HSE ...not a problem in the last year ...had a software update but that was my choice just to get the carplay and android auto feature.

I have had 4 x D3/4 with V6's in the past and I find the 2.0 excellent by comparison. Yes the 4 pot is noticeable in 1st or 2nd but once you are moving you wouldn't know it wasn't a larger engine, the 8 speed ZF is very well suited,

No reported dilution in the D5 240 2.0 that I have come across.

Enjoy Thumbs Up
  • Chatuge
    United Kingdom 

Thanks DG. I've heard of dealerships also being rubbish too but I'm using Harwoods Kent and they seem very professional and honest (so far!)
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Hi Chatuge, slight topic drift, but given your extensive X5 ownership did you test the G05 X5 for comparison with the D5? Just interested in your thoughts and reasons for moving from a X5.

I tested the 30d G05 for 24 hours a week or two prior to my 48 hour test in a SDV6 SE D5. My own opinion was that the D5 blew the X5 away, and that was without all the luxury of the HSE models - versus a very well specced X5 that would have listed in the high 70s I suspect.

I'm coming over from BMW as well, albeit a fast tiddler - 440i GC.
  • Chatuge
    United Kingdom 

Hey Equilibrium, So I haven't driven the G05 yet. I've had 3 x E70s (35d, 40d, 40d), then I've had 2 F15s (50d, 50d).

I've got a few reasons to move away. I've always enjoyed healthy discounts on the X5. The last one I bought was an F15 X5 M50d. The list price with options was something like £82K but I got it for £73K.

The new G05 has NO discount yet! Therefore for me to spend £70K ish I'm looking at a 30d. Secondly, I used to depreciate my cars on my business but I can't do that now so I want to buy second hand so that I don't lose my own personal money with no way to offset.

The performance of the 30d compared to the 50d is not THAT different but the suspension setup most definitely is. My 50d has a strut brace, adaptive suspension etc. So I can use the power better.

I don't fancy going backwards in an X5, but going for a Discovery SD4 is SO SO SO different that it feels like a change rather than a step backwards!? Make sense?

I'd prefer the the V6 to the SD4 but I don't want to buy brand new and I don't want to have problems with the oil dilution as we only do around 6 miles a day in it!

We were "townies" when we had X5s but have recently moved extremely rural and my wife horse rides. I'm fed up with the colour coded everything getting damaged by all of the mud and stones that are being thrown at it from living out here. The disco seems to have less fancy bits to get damaged.

Inside-wise the D5 is bigger yes... we will miss the HUD from the X5, and the iDrive as I still believe that BMW have it licked better than any other manufacturer. and i'll miss that 50d engine - its honestly just the most amazing piece of SUV engineering I've driven.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

That all makes perfect sense. As you say, the 50d is a different proposition with a lot of M-lite kit going in there along with the power.

I've never driven an older gen X5, but the G05 with air suspension is probably quite a change. Whilst comfortable, I didn't feel that the BMW air suspension is as well-honed as the D5. It's kind of difficult to quantify or explain, but whereas the Disco has a natural progression to it's roll response, the X5 seemed more inclined to lurch/change roll angle more suddenly.

Not what I expected and actually made the D5 the better driving experience for my tastes, not that I can claim to have really explored the Sport and Adaptive modes on the X5, I largely stayed in comfort. The general feeling of straight-line stability/solidity felt better in the disco too.

That the M50d sticks with non-air suspension indicates that the driving prioirities remain very different, understandably, for that model.

Love the D5 driving position too, just what you need in a big vehicle IMHO.

As you say, iDrive has the JLR system licked, no real competition there. iDrive would have been my biggest reason for sticking with the brand, it's really streets ahead.

On discounts - I managed 8% on a well-specced X5 30d, without haggling beyond the initial offer (due to the D5 becoming the preference). Also was offered a little over 10% on a stock car. On the forums people are talking of best deals around 14-15%, also on M50d. I managed 11% on my D5 - SDV6 HSE Luxury with a few options, which is much better than I expected at the outset.
  • Chatuge
    United Kingdom 

Hey Equilibrium. Did you get offered those discounts on G05?!?! Wow! Thats unheard of. BMW usually won't discount a thing at the start of a new car!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Yes, the 8% and 10% were straight up offers to me - factory build and genuine stock car (I saw the spec sheet) respectively. Both from the dealer I got my F36 from, who are great and straightforward.

The mid-teens were told to me, one guy told me the dealer that offered him 12% and he's now saying he's up to 14.8 (iirc) which I assume is at the same dealer. I never approached that dealer or tried to push 'mine' up as I did not wish to waste everyone's time once I was set on the D5 - but pretty sure they are genuine as well.

As you say, very good for a BMW SUV that's just been launched. Apart from impulse campaigns and right at the end of life, I don't think the F15 was generally available with much higher discounts.
  • solihull
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

My few pennies worth. I switched from a BMW X5 3.0 in 2005 after taking it on a 8/10 off road event where I realised the Landrover Discovery 3 was simply the best offroad car. This was especially true when it was pouring down with rain and the mud was flowing.

I saw the same when I upgraded to the D4 in 2012, it was just the most amazing offroad car with on road manners.

Now I have had the D5 2.0L since March 2017. Again the same, it is an awesome vehicle on the road and offroad, nothing compares to it, particularly on tough off road courses.

3 Discoveries and the first 2 did 90k miles with no problems and the D5 on 30k+ with no issues other than the rear camera which took them ages to fix.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum