Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Buying used TD6 - Is it ok ?

Hi all, is there an ongoing problem with the TD6, enough to avoid buying a new used one ? There's so much conflicting information out there
    The SDV6 is a bit expensive for me. 50K ish budget 55 max
    Thanks
    George
    PS i like to have lots of toys. And tow a caravan, want the electric towbar and as many toys as i can get for my 50k , hence used is the only option for me
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

It seems as if the Td6 engine isn't actually suffering any real oil dilution, just a paranoid electronic nanny over-estimating how much fuel there is in your oil. MY18 vehicles and some MY17 vehicles received an update that may have resolved the issue. The only real ill effect is on your wallet since it causes you to change the oil more frequently than is really necessary.

I personally love the Td6 motor - I've been testing my oil fairly regularly to keep an eye on the dilution.
  • GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, however, if the nanny tells you to change the oil, in Scotland thats £6xx GBP a pop. If i need to do that more than i would with another engine, Ive read it can happen after a few thousand miles, if that true and its mandatory. Why would anybody want to buy one ? If there's other options. I do 12k a year. If thats potentially 3 oil changes , does that mean dropping by kwick fit and spending £60 outside the normal garage service ?

Thanks
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I'm running a 18MY TDV6, had 3 oil changes in the first 15000 miles, roughly 5000 / change. At the 15000 mile change car got updated with the N222 oil service update, have since done 5000 miles and car is still showing 11000 miles to next service, so assuming that the mileage to service doesnt drop off a cliff looks like I'm back to 16000 mile service intervals.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Get a MY18 TD6. They will have had some extra oil changes to clean out the wear metals in a new engine which is good. And the N222 patch either is already or can be applied to fix your driving style so you can achieve the normal service intervals from then on.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Labbix

Correct, JLR is amazing in fixing our driving style!

Thx God they are so smart and willing to help us Wink

No joke, once it has the N222 update it’s a fantastic car which shouldn’t give you too much trouble, not more than any other car with so much technology on board.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

For what it's worth I'd be buying from a Franchised dealer as prices can be good and you get the 2 year warranty if your had less due to it's age and lots of these cars have the five year service pack, so perhaps look out for that too. But if you can manage £55K then I think the SDV6 in HSE form is getting to around this figure before a little discount is negotiated.

The TD6 pulls really well and suits the car so will be a great choice but I'd say that the SD6 is worth it if you can stretch because the MY19 upgrades includes things like adaptive cruise control and the Range Rover style steering wheel buttons and the engine is fab. Very Happy

Hse Lux SDV6
  • GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 

This is from an older thread. Does nobody think this is real?

Disco John wrote:
    Davidlc, I do not think that we are talking about an AdBlue problem here. There is a need for more frequent filling with AdBlue, but that is 'just' a cost and inconvenience issue - maybe the price we have to pay for using diesel cars and saving the planet.
    The problem with oil being diluted with fuel in the 3.0L engine is a design failure that will result in the need for very frequent oil and filter changes and may result in long term damage to the engine. It is a result of the fact that the method employed to raise the temperature of the DPF for regeneration, is known as 'late fuel injection', which, in this engine, results in diesel, washing down the cylinder walls and mixing with the oil. Not only is the diluted oil less effective at lubricating the engine (this can be mitigated by frequent oil changes), but the effect of 'washing' the cylinder walls with diesel on a regular basis can destroy the protective layer of oil and lead to 'polishing' of the walls, after which they are unable to hold the thin layer of oil they need for protection. This could lead to high cylinder wall wear rates in affected engines and consequent early engine failure rates. Changing the oil regularly will not make this better. I do not know how big an issue this last factor will turn out to be, some posts in the DS forum seem to think it could be significant.

• GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 

I've found a nice 2L and 3L , good enough deals on both. Tough decision. Rolling Eyes
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I prefer the 2lt. That said, I’ve had a couple of LRs which apparently were prone to regeneration and I never had a problem, but then I’ve never seen a queue of traffic, so maybe it’s not so much driving style as what traffic you come across.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

The AdBlue usage is higher than LR make you believe in the brochure, but it is available here from petrol stations at quite reasonable prices. I'm sure you can in the UK as well, or get it from Halfords. It doesn't have to be expensive.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

If you have a service plan (or remainder of one on a used vehicle) Ad blue top ups are free from the dealer.

I had 14litres at 4000miles. It’s an 18litre tank.

On oil dilution (or not?), I have a TD6. Early oil change at 1800 miles. N222 applied and so far looks to be behaving much better. Service interval is still falling faster than mileage done but I accept that I do quite a few short journeys as well as the long hauls and towing. My annual mileage isn’t much more than 8-9k so for me, as long as I get to next annual service, I don’t have an issue. The one early oil change thus far was fine under warranty too.

Jon
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I had two service plans for two new LRs that I didn’t use, so I didn’t go for one this time plus with shopping around, I can normally get very good deals that outstrip the advantages of purchasing a plan two years in advance of actually using it.

The Ad Blu was on special offer at Eurocarparts a few months back. 10lts for £4.99 with free delivery. It’s an easy job to refill - just like screenwash - no black art!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I have a July 2017 Td6. It had first service at 6,900 miles (prior to my ownership at 12 months old). It then had an early oil change at 12,600 miles and the DEF update, I think its N241, and has now done a further 3,000 miles and is showing 13,000 to next service. If anything it's done more short trips since the DEF update but now appears not to think it needs early oil changes. So unless it suddenly drops like a stone it appears to have been resolved, despite the fact being a 2017 it cannot have the N222 update applied.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 

Thanks everybody, Appreciate the help
    Parkers used to have a service where you could download the standard spec and options for used cars. I found that useful in the past. You could download the standard spec for any model and it listed the previous options and costs. They have withdrawn that service - shame
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum