Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR wrote:
    Thanks, however, if the nanny tells you to change the oil, in Scotland thats £6xx GBP a pop. If i need to do that more than i would with another engine, Ive read it can happen after a few thousand miles, if that true and its mandatory. Why would anybody want to buy one ? If there's other options. I do 12k a year. If thats potentially 3 oil changes , does that mean dropping by kwick fit and spending £60 outside the normal garage service ?

Thanks

If you get one that doesn't have the N222 update or isn't eligible for it, you don't actually have to change the oil when it tells you. I took my last oil fill about 2,000 miles past when it said it needed it, tested the oil, and it probably could have gone to 10,000 miles with no problems.

You can also change it fairly easily yourself. Invest in an 8L fluid vacuum pump and do it on your own in between major services - the vehicle has a vacuum tube built in for this purpose (looks like a capped off dipstick tube), and the oil filter is on top of the engine, so you don't even need a lift, just a level driveway. No mess - you just need to make a trip to a waste facility that will take the stuff you suck out and the old filter.

Once I'm out of warranty I'll switch to Mobil 1 ESP, but in warranty I'll only use the Castrol they recommend, which in some independent lab tests on a virgin sample came out thin for its weight with low levels of additives. I think the Mobil 1 will likely make it the full service distance, but they probably didn't pay JLR to certify their product like Castrol did.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Once you suck the oil out and do a change does the car recognise this and reset the dilution warning or do you have the alarm standing still until you go to LR and get it reset??

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Thanks for the help on that.

When i was in my local LR garage looking at options they talked me into buying a new one.

it was more money, less toys, more warranty, went home and went over it all with the wife, phoned the day after and tried to get more out of it. Nothing doing

Agreed to the deal the following day.

I don't have unlimited funds, small compromise & happy.

I'm also kidding myself this ones a keeper, which i tell myself every 2 or 3 year lol

I'll report back all my experience with the SDV
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Russell wrote:
    Once you suck the oil out and do a change does the car recognise this and reset the dilution warning or do you have the alarm standing still until you go to LR and get it reset??

If you're servicing just the oil, you may not want to reset the full counter, just the oil counter.

1) ignition on (press button, no brake - don't start engine)
    2) Open Hood
    3) Open Driver door
    4) hold brake & accelerator for 10 seconds
    5) Let off brake & gas
    6) Turn off ignition.

This procedure may reset both the oil service and the scheduled service interval for the rest of the vehicle. There was an update that separated the oil service interval reset from the scheduled vehicle service interval. I'll edit the post if I find the updated info for just the oil service reset.

To date I've had the dealer do everything since it's still under warranty and I'm trying to get a good baseline on oil life.

Last edited by DieselRanger on 31st Mar 2019 4:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR wrote:
    Thanks for the help on that.

When i was in my local LR garage looking at options they talked me into buying a new one.

it was more money, less toys, more warranty, went home and went over it all with the wife, phoned the day after and tried to get more out of it. Nothing doing

Agreed to the deal the following day.

I don't have unlimited funds, small compromise & happy.

I'm also kidding myself this ones a keeper, which i tell myself every 2 or 3 year lol

I'll report back all my experience with the SDV

Enjoy! I'm a bit jealous of the SDV6 as we can't get it yet in the US and I think 300hp would be perfect for this vehicle...
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum