Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• maffffster
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Help and Advice

Hi All,

New to the Disco5 forum, I had a D3 for many years now and thinking about upgrading to a D5. I'll be buying second hand and will be towing a twin axle caravan.

Is there many big issue known problems with the D5 yet ?

Which is the better diesel engine from a reliability point of view ?

Any other information of things to look for would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance - matt
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The big known issue seems to be "oil dilution"....have a read on here, there's an almost infinite number of posts about it.

It only seems to be an issue with the TD6 engine. The SD6 doesn't seem to be affected.

If you're towing, you'll really want the higher powered SD6 anyway but it's only been in D5s since September 2018 so most used D5s on the market at the moment are probably the older TD6 engine.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

dont rule out the 2Ltr, as you are looking at moving from a D3 2.7, the 2Ltr ingenium has more BHP and Torque than the D3 had, and is lighter, so power to weight is much better than the D3. OK the 3 Ltr V6 is better still, but dont think you "have to have" the V6.

My 2Ltr seems to tow quite nicely on the first outing I have had with it, thats with 1800Kg 8Ft wide T/A 'van.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • maffffster
    United Kingdom 

Is the SD6 the same as the SDV6 in the range rover ? and i assume it doesnt have the same issue with the glow plugs and not being able to get to the back plugs with body removal ?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Yes, it's the 306bhp version out of the Range Rover Sport.

I've no idea about glow plugs. My D4 never needed any in 6.5 years and the D5 is only 6 months old

I don't think the D5 is designed in a way that would allow "body off" jobs; more likely "engine out" if necessary.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

D5 doesnt have a separate chassis like D3 and D4 did

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • maffffster
    United Kingdom 

Managed to get some time to look around range rover sport and discovery 5 - I love the look of the range rover but not so much this inside. It was nice to have a good look around the D5 and have play with some of the functions. Unfortunately theres a lot of TD5 available, which i think i should avoid. Otherwise i think i'll keep looking until i find one i like, within budget and spec/colour etc that i like - Happy with either engines just not TD5
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I presume you mean TD6?

There were a lot of so called "oil dilution" problems in the early days, and these were I beleive caused by over cautious software .

There have been several updates since then and my car is certainly behaving now.

Others have found the same and also had their oil tested and found to be OK.

Of course it is your choice, but I would not write it off just because of forum posts.

In the early days the D5 was also written off as being a rubbish tow car!! Thumbs Up

Last edited by jimbg on 12th Apr 2019 3:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • maffffster
    United Kingdom 

Good point well made Smile
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Regarding oil dilution on TDV6, mine had 3 oil changes in first 15000 miles, it then got the N222 re-flash, done another 6000 miles since and still showing 10000 miles to service. Based on my experience II would say that a re-flashed TDV6 should be ok, also remember, the D5 TDV6 has same peak power and torque as the last twin turbo D4's, and I dont remember anyone complaing about the towing performance of those.I did have a late D4 and think this one tows just as well, but remember to inflate the tyres to max load pressures as that seems to have a significant effect on stability.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • maffffster
    United Kingdom 

thanks for all the help and advice .... but today i brought this HSE TD6

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Nice
    Intrestingly a friend has just gone from a RRS to a D5 and prefers the D5

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum