Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Tempted
    United Kingdom 

What were your other contenders?

Hi,

Been reading the forum a fair bit as I thought I'd finally decided my next purchase was going to be a D5 HSE Lux. I say thought, the more I read around here, the more problems I found - in particular the oil dilution problem. I could probably live with the other things, although a fair few sound pretty irritating.

My budget doesn't stretch to a new model with the SDV6 and so it isn't looking too bright at this stage. I don't buy on finance, so brand new wouldn't be feasible. It's a real shame, because other than the engine being down on pace compared with my current 3L BMW, the features, looks and pretty much everything about it were exactly what I wanted.

Anyway, I wondered what other vehicles were on people's shortlists? The Q7 drives very well and has a great engine that still manages to be semi economical, but the looks don't feel particularly special. The XC90 looks great, but the engine is a bit of a disappointment. Decided I don't want another BMW right now, so have discounted the X5.

Pleased to meet you👍😉
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Former Beemer owner but then had two D4s and was very unsure over what to replace it with. I considered everything, but what got the closest was the Merc GL (the BIG one), as I figured it was close to replacement so hopefully ultra-reliable, and the deals were huge, and they came LOADED with kit and had the best boot space going.

Looked at an Audi Q7 but the dealer was very unhelpful - said it was about 9 months wait for a new one. I also just found it a bit bland to look at. The X5 was about to be replaced, and was gonna be too small boot-wise.

But in the end, I was won over by the D5. Test drive was ok, but it was very different to my D4. But I took a gamble... And I have to say, it's the best new car I have ever owned. It's made every mile I've driven more fun, and the whole family love it.

A very capable car, and it looks great too.

So I'd strongly advise going for one and I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you can, get one with the digital dash dials as they are a lot of fun and anyone who has been a passenger has been very impressed with them. Just did 700 miles over 28 hours in it last week, fully loaded, and it was ultra-comfortable too.

Read some posts on here about people who had the oil dilution problem and have had it sorted, so just be careful what you buy 2nd hand - but sounds like there are some good cars out there now.

Do come back and let us know what you get...

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

There's nothing wrong with a MY18 TD6, since the N222v3 patch on mine it doesn't suffer from quarterly oil changes any more.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Re: What were your other contenders?

Tempted wrote:
    Hi,

Anyway, I wondered what other vehicles were on people's shortlists? The Q7 drives very well and has a great engine that still manages to be semi economical, but the looks don't feel particularly special. The XC90 looks great, but the engine is a bit of a disappointment. Decided I don't want another BMW right now, so have discounted the X5.

Pleased to meet you👍😉

Pleased to meet you too Smile I'm barely further ahead in ownership terms, just placed my order a few weeks ago. My other contenders was a long list, similar to yours in places...this took me over a year...

XC90 was the initial favourite, 4 cylinder engine was the obvious drawback and the local dealer was awful in arranging a drive. Never happened and it dropped out of contention.

Cayenne - drove the Mk3 Cayenne S (440bhp) and really liked it. It came unstuck on price. A reasonable spec was £80k plus and that was still missing like-to-haves however I cut it.

Q7 - didn't drive, just a bit dull IMHO, but everyone says a great car and I liked it to sit in. Wife would never have one.

RRS - loved it - had a SDV6 HSE Dynamic for 3 days and a PHEV Autobiography for two. PHEV would have been my choice in the end. The dealer, though, managed to plant the Discovery seed that grew several months later.

X5 [G05, new model] - like you, i said i didn't want another BMW but the G05 tempted me. Had a 24hr loan of a 30d very well specced (Merino, etc.). Nice, but didn't drive as well as I hoped. The air suspension is not as well resolved as JLRs IMHO, and it just felt like it didn't know whether to be comfy or sporty. I didn't explore any mode other than comfort though. Much noisier than a Disco or RRS.

X3 - just because the dealer persuaded me to have a 24hr test drive in a 30d. Didn't like it one bit. Most of the disadvantages of a big SUV without the advantages. Also, so rough and noisy after my 440i.

The D5 was never a contender at the outset. Right at the end of the process, a few days after the X5, I had a 48hr test drive in a SE SDV6. Absolutely smitten - awesome car and package and I cannot wait to get mine.

Nearly forgot - Tesla Model X. Interesting experience, but £80k and up for an interior made out of egg cartons and panel gaps by a toddler. Ok, I exaggerate, but you have to be really committed to electric to give up every other advantage that the competition has.

Happy car hunting...I've enjoyed it. This will be the family wheels for a long time so it was important to do it properly Cool

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Some photos of the RRS pair

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

And the X5/D5/Cayenne, plus an interloper X5 M50D alongside 'my' D5

• Tempted
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the responses. I guess it's somehow reassuring to see others have still selected the D5 over some of the options mentioned. Nothing else I've sat in has made me feel in any way special and so that probably tells it's own story.

I've been reading further about the oil dilution issue and it does seem folk are getting to the bottom of it now. It's just really difficult to commit to what will be a ~£50k purchase, based solely on forum posts. Some people may not have had adequate time with the new updates to form a reliable opinion etc. It would be good to know if the MY17's can be resolved by a software update as that opens my options a little more as I want all the fancy black trim etc which a lot of previous owners don't spec.

I'd go to a garage and pick their brains but it sounds like they'll deny all knowledge, or not know anything about it Confused
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

My car is a Match 2017, so one of the first.

I have had every update that has been available applied to my car and it is fine now.
    If you bought a 2017 I would make 100% sure that all updates including non mandatory were applied.

Sign up to Topix and make a list of all the "desirable" updates and demand that they are applied as part of the deal, including the ICTP system.
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for that, just signed up. Looks pretty confusing at this stage, but I'll work it out.

Would I be right to assume independent car garages would be a no no for such a purchase? As always, you pay more than necessary at a dealer, but that would at least mean you get the 2 year warranty and the ability to demand SW updates.

As a side note, how long have you run your MY17 for to be happy it's now fixed? Or would it have become apparent in a matter of weeks by checking the miles to oil graphic?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

A 2017 would still be in warranty so a dealer should apply the updates, they may not be very keen though?

I have not had an interim oil change for over a year I would say, long enough that I do not check any more.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Mine has had the update as well and so far is looking good with regards to the oil dilution but time will tell.
    As for updates, if its under warranty and the service is carried out by LR dealer they should do all the updates.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum