Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Laney26
    United Kingdom 

Parking ?

Hi guys thanks for the add šŸ˜€. The D5 has been my dream ever since it was released and Iā€™ve finally had the go ahead from the hubby that I can buy one woohoo. So a couple of questions if itā€™s no bother? My 1st one is parking, how hard so you guys find it on a day to day basis Iā€™ve driven a Hyundai Sante fe for the last 5 years so not a small car. Last week I got a disco on loan for 48 hours and i love everything about it but yikes the parking scared me a bit and when I did park could hardly get out the doors. Will surround 360 cameras help or do I just need to grow a set and get on with it lol. Any tips ?
    Secondly we are looking at either a 2017 HSE lux or a 2018 se with cameras what would you advise am I better getting the extra warranty over the luxuries and the kids going mad for TVs in the back lol.
    Many thanks for your time I am so grateful for any advice you can give itā€™s just been my dream for so long and now Iā€™m finally there donā€™t want it to make a daft mistake
  • mcunnin
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Hi the parking is not that hard. My wife drives mine all the time we have an HSE lux with the self parking feature but nether of us ever use it. When my wife drives she says the thing she dislikes is having to park. Not because of the size or ability to see or anything like that she just dose not like to leave it next to other cars encase she comes back to a dent or scratch. but honestly after a week or 2 you wont worry abut parking. As for the TV and the kids I thought it would be a great idea well now Im not so sure. we can get in the car to go 5 min to shops and the back seat shouts can we get the TV on. Well if you say no that's it the end of the world. In my wife's car with no TV its easy so just think about it LOL.

2017 HSE Lux 3.0L Santorini Black
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I will always park it out of the way. It takes a second for some moron to dink it with a door or bag.

With a D4 I had, in a Tesco car park, I actually had a white van park next to me with tons of spaces all around. The driver opened to door on my car whilst I was sat in it.

I got out to remonstrate and he just ignored me and went into the shop. Iā€™ve never been so close to keying someoneā€™s vehicle, but resisted the temptation.

I suppose if the damage had been significant, I could have taken his number and demanded he give me his details on the basis that if damage was done, heā€™s under an obligation to provide them no matter if itā€™s a supermarket car park or not.maybe I should have gone down that route. If he failed to do so, call the Rozzers.
  • greg-g
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Corris Grey

I have the standard front and rear beepers, rear camera plus the 360 deg cameras.

Using the mirrors, beepers and rear camera I can get into really tight spots. I never use the 360 cameras for parking, itā€™s too much hassle.

The width is a bit of a problem in some parking spots.

There is an option for reverse mirrors that tilt down when in reverse, they could be handy. They were on a loan car. The other option I would like but donā€™t have is the blind spot monitors. They were brilliant on a loan Discovery Sport and just OK on a loan Evoque.

I have an intermittent fault with something that disables all the sensors that should hopefully be fixed tomorrow, but without them Iā€™m really stuck.

MY19 D5 SD4 SE
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If you are normally ok with parking, then it shouldn't be much of an issue.

As already stated above, I always advocate parking out of the way for the sake of a few extra paces. Some car parks, particularly older ones, have very small marked spaces. Newer ones are better at marking up for modern sized cars.

Multi storey car parks can be an issue - again mainly older ones - with height restrictions. Know your vehicle height. Also some of the barrier entry exits can be fairly tight until you get used to size of car, particularly when they position them on a curve.

Avoid reversing into spaces if you need to use tailgate as it is fairly big.

I have self park functions but never use them - after all, you would have to be parking between vehicles. Dipping side mirrors are handy to see kerbside when reversing.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

In relation to surround cameras, personally I did not find mine much use - more of a distraction really. I'm sure some would disagree. You will get rear camera on all cars I think. Prob more use.

As to which model, it is a difficult choice and very much depends on what options you want / need. Hse lux is nice spec but you could be paying for stuff you don't need or won't use. If you are buying approved used the I think you get 2 yrs warranty - check. You will see on this site that the D5 can have issues, and nothing with Land Rover is ever cheap, so it would have an impact on when I sell mine - lrob approaching end of warranty, unless it is viable to extend it.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

its also quite a long car, so even in reasonable sized parking spaces that I have got back as far as I can get, the front is always further out than the cars around me.

Even after 2 D3's and 2 D4's, which were very square so you knew where the corners were, with the D5 being more rounded, I am more cautious/carefull when parking it

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Laney26
    United Kingdom 

Thanks so much guys for taking the time to reply really appreciate it. Iā€™ve decided if itā€™s the only thing holding us back is my fear of parking I should just go with it and learn by experience šŸ˜. Jump in feet first as they say. The space is just too good to pass up on with 3 kids and 3 dogs ( and a husband haha) and I just love being so high up . Eek so excited now to hunt the deal šŸ˜
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

We have had both D3/4's and now D5. My wife has driven them all and has no issues with parking in any of them.
    If you get one you can get aftermarket side steps which offer some protection against car park dinks as they stick out slightly further than the boday work.
    Only real issue when parking is turning circle, the turning circle is poor compared with many cars and can be an issue in tight multi storey car parks.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Laney26
    United Kingdom 

Thatā€™s a great idea and they will come in handy for the 3 year old to climb in as well thanks. Yeah o struggle with the turning circle of my Sante fe in some multi stories so I know whatā€™s coming šŸ˜‚
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

In my 48 hour test drive, I tried to put the parking difficulty to test and generally tried to go down roads in Bristol where I would expect it to feel cumbersome. I was amazed how easy the disco is to place, thanks in large part to those huge mirrors and to the driving position. I backed it into a couple of spaces that I would have found awkward even in my ā€˜littleā€™ 4-series.

It was easier than the X5 that I borrowed a couple of weeks earlier.

Multi-story was the only thing I didnā€™t try, but thatā€™s not a regular use for me and we can easily use our second car around our home city if we find one of the car parks is awkward.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I think you will be fine with the front and rear park sensor plus the rear camera only. I dont think the 360 cameras will add much more really. The auto park is quite cool and I do end up using it whenever I can mainly for the fun factor! But the car is easy to park just be careful with the rear tailgate if you park close to something else and try to open it as it swings out wide.

On the rear seat entertainment, honestly I think you are better off saving that money and buying 2 Ipads if you want. The RSE rarely works properly and it always slow and glitchy from my experience and from other people I have talked to about it.

When I considered the model range I settles for HSE and the HSE lux only added rear screens and opening sunroof which mainly didnt bother me much so HSE gave everything else I wanted. I think SE might be a bit bare with optional extras. If you can aim for atleast a 18MY HSE since thats when the full LCD dash was introduced.
  • Laney26
    United Kingdom 

Thatā€™s awesome advice thank you so so much šŸ˜€
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

It's a big car and parking spaces haven't got any bigger recently. It would be tough to park without the gadgets, but I have found the front & rear cameras invaluable and make it surprisingly easy.

As the car is about a foot wider than the parking meter bays round here and the roads are narrow, I have found the surround cameras really useful for getting close to the kerb without kerbing the wheels. They are also good for checking you are in a bay front & rear and not encroaching on double yellows etc.

Andrew
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum