Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Slug
    United Kingdom 

Anybody fitted 275/55R20 tyres?

Hi
    Just wondering if anybody has fitted 275/55R20 tyres to a D5?

BF-Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 is now avaivable in that size and I'm wondering if it would fit with rubbing.

Cheers
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Yes fitted General Grabber 275/55/20 AT3's No problems at all.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

Any particular reason you went for the 275”s rather than the standard 255”s given that they are both available with the Grabbers?
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

Any particular reason you went for the 275”s rather than the standard 255”s given that they are both available with the Grabbers?
    Also did they fit the standard 20” wheels?
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I have 275/55-20 Cooper Discoverer AT3.

I wanted an AT tire with little more sidewall, and the AT offerings in the OEM 255/55-20 size were sparse to nonexistent.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Slightly bigger sidewall and there was no price penalty for the wider rubber. `In fact I got a good deal on set of 5.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • BruceT
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

I see the LR Experience vehicles have 275 55 R20 fitted also.

Would it cause any issues If you run one 255 55 R20 and 3 275 55 R20 in an emergency for a short distance. Like when you get a flat?

Thank you
  • Labbix

Dr. Evil If it’s only for a short distance I don’t think so as multiple brands supply a much smaller wheel as a spare... which is actually a bit strange as according to the law (at least in Belgium) you have to have the same size of tyres on one axle, but even here the smaller spare is common practice.
    Edit: did a quick check and there is a law (from 1 December 1975) that a spare tyre might be different for a limited time (and limited is not further specified), but only if you drive at a lower speed.
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

Thank you.
    I am more worried about possible damage to the drive train.

Also, where I travel i usually carry two spares so just wanted to avoid having to purchase 6 tyres.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

If you're only driving short distances at low speeds, then the size difference should not damage the drivetrain. The difference in outside diameter between OE 255/55-20 and 275/55-20 is about an inch. So if you think you'll be far from home and will need to get on a motorway to get to a tire shop or home, you absolutely should buy a new spare as well.

You may suffer a fuel economy penalty also due to higher rotational mass and higher rolling friction depending on tire construction.

Note also that Goodyear is now making the Wrangler DuraTrack in 255/55-20.
  • Numb Thumbs
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Fuji White

I have just fitted 275/55R20 Terra Grappler G2's. The standard size, 255/55R20 is almost impossible to find outside capital cities here in Oz so I went with the much more common size. No issues and the spare fits happily.

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs Wink
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

Thank you Numb Thumbs.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum