Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

D5 does the Western Isles!

Just back from a two-week family trip up to the Outer Hebrides. Done the journey many many times - a few pics may be recognisable - but this was the first time in the (MY 2019) D5.

Had a vehicle health check at Harwoods Croydon before we set off, when the car was at 5,600 miles on the odometer. They also kindly topped up the AdBlue FOC as the range was down to 2k, and gave it a full valet (not on a LR service plan, so can't argue with that kind of service). Anyway, got back tonight, and the odometer is now reading 7,798 miles, and the AdBlue range is still reading 6,213 miles until it needs a refill. Pretty impressed by that AdBlue economy!

Anyway, the car performed faultlessly all the way there and back and was supremely comfortable. Great road holding, presence and acceleration on the fun sections north of Fort William in the very early hours of the morning. Sublime views for all four of us too.

We left from Surrey at 4am on a Thursday morning, and made Glencoe for 3pm with three short stops. And left Glencoe the next day at 5am and made the Uig ferry terminal on Skye for 8am with no stops. Our kids (5 & 3) travel really well - no RSE, but never seen the need when an iPad each is far more flexible!

Mostly kept on road during out trip, plus a few bumpy tracks and our usual trip across to the tidal island of Vallay, just off the north coast of North Uist - with our friends following closely behind in their Rav 4. Was nice to have some company for the trip across the 'water' (just in case of an issue arising, and an incoming tide!). Will never tire of the SatNav saying we're all at sea!

Anyway, 100% LOVE this car (aside from the boot - could do with being a bit bigger versus the D4). The best set of wheels I imagine I will ever own. And love these islands equally too. Just look at the colour of that sea when the sun is shining!

Oh, and Apple CarPlay - I'm a convert. So useful for replying to WhatsApp messages on the move...

The stats from the dash...
      2,128.4 miles there & back
      Avg speed: 55mph
      Avg fuel economy: 32.0mpg (best ever for this trip!)

Now, I must remember to reduce those pressures in the morning, as they are currently inflated to 50 psi rear and 44 psi front!

Oh - and the local seafood! WOW!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

It probably rained 9 days out of 10.

I lived in Harris for a couple of years.

The Western Isles is getting spoilt. A victim of its own success unfortunately.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

It rained 2 days out of 14, and even then, only for part of the day...

And every beach I went to was empty (as in no one else on it at all, not just quiet)... Who would want to go in the Summer when there are tourists and midges, when you can go pre-season and enjoy true peace and tranquility.

That said, I am flying up for a weekend in the Summer... but the big trips, always out of season!

Harris is stunning too. How lucky to have lived there full time... Thumbs Up

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

It was in the 80s, although I still go back for a visit as I now live on the mainland, but pretty close.

It was different then. Not many visitors. The Islanders have a very different philosophy to life, different way of thinking. Maybe their Spanish blood. Helped if you can understand or speak Gaelic and could cut peat!

I remember we didn’t get the daily newspapers until 5pm. Used to get the Sunday papers on Tuesday. The Sabbath ruled, no one went out unless it was to the Church that sort of thing. A bit like that old film Whiskey Galore!
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Remember watching that one evening in the Isle of Barra Hotel, as a kid in the 80s! And only last week we had lunch in the AM Politician on Eriskay, and looked at a couple of the original ‘bottles’ from the seabed. My little lad was most intrigued!

Thankfully on North Uist where we stay you can hang your washing out on Sundays.........

Ever get across to St Kilda? I made 7 trips by yacht between 1994 and 2005 but wouldn’t fancy it today - too many day trippers on fast boats. Back then it would be the occasional hardy yacht crew or a dive boat... and pretty much only NTS work parties and military aside from that. Stunning place though. Magical.

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Yes, managed to cadge a ride of a Sea King - long story. Dropped off for an hour, then picked up. Yes, it’s a lovely place, dramatic cliffs.

Wouldn’t mind taking the boat there, just to let the family see it in the flesh. My RIB would struggle with the distance. One or two people in Leverburgh offer a day trip. For a family of 5 it works out at basically £1k. You want a good day for it really.

Also been to quite a few smaller offshore isles and the Shiant Isles.

Starting to think about taking the RIB out, but I stick to the waters round Gairloch. Won’t be today, too much Haar about this morning.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Great post and pictures 747JK, I really enjoyed reading that. I’m looking forward to taking the family up to Scotland in the Disco many times in the coming years.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum