Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• LPan
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Should I be worried...??

Due to pick up my new (new to me) Disco5 MY17 TD6 tomorrow and I'm reading threads about oil contamination from the DPF and short service intervals and I have no idea if I should be worried now!

It is a June17 car being bought from a main dealer in Huddersfield and I typically only do 7K miles a year. Its the family car so will be used for school runs and then weekend activities. Do I seriously need to reconsider at the 11th hour??

Please pacify me....
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

Have a read through the (well documented) 'early service' thread. It starts off with hordes of owners getting early servicing due to [perceived] oil dilution. As far as reports suggest, these issues begun to be resolved as of approx October 2018. I've read a number of '17 plate owners report that their servicing now looks to be on track following the dealer updates.

I had exactly the same concerns as you, but reading the threads on here and FB eased my concerns. Admittedly I elected to go for a late 18 plate with the SDV6 engine, which I understand did not have the issue anyway.

As a matter of course with any diesel, it's always good to give it a good run semi-regularly where the revs are med-high for a prolonged period as to encourage a full regen cycle.

If you're about to buy a used approved from a LR dealer, then your 2 year warranty should cover unnecessary early services anyway. Getting oil services this frequently will actually prolong the life of the engine. Sadly some owners did have to pay for the privilege unfortunately, so worth making sure they will honour that if it did occur.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

All I can say is, mine had first oil change at 6900 miles, second at 12600 miles but following the N241 DEF update in Jan 2019 (they claim thats all they did) it's now done 4300 miles and is 11900 miles to next service, so the issue appears to have been resolved.

It'll get a few decent work outs in the next month anyway, with a 200 miles motorways run and twoing the caravan a couple of times, but the oil dilution issue no longer concerns me like it did before.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum