Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

A question about tyre pressures: Light load or Heavy load?

So....... departing shortly on a road trip up to the Outer Hebrides, with the car fully laden with 2 adults, and two small children (5 & 3), plus a boot which will be rammed full with luggage. Nothing on the roof, and not towing anything.

It's 700 miles there, we'll do 500-700 miles once on the islands over a couple of weeks, and 700 miles to get back home. The car will only be fully laden on the way up & back. On the islands, the boot will be largely empty - but we might be have a couple of friends on board at times too. Mostly sticking on tarmac, only a few possible trips on some sand (as always - to a nearby tidal island), and a bit of driving on grass.

But adjusting pressures once on the islands isn't all that easy. There's no reliable air compressor with gauge near where we'll be, so I want to avoid adjusting the pressures once there. I've never bothered adjusting them before, but wondered whether I really should this time around (first trip up in the D5). Whatever I do, it'll be a case of keeping the car on Light load pressures, or Heavy load pressures, for the entire trip. Thoughts?

(and no, I don't want to pack my own compressor - don't have one)

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Labbix

Definitely the higher pressure!

Here you go:

https://www.endurancewarranty.com/learning...sure-best/

But you should consider a portable air compressor, I have a ‘bushranger’, hidden behind the second and third row and use it quite often, definitely worth every € and almost cheaper then 1 decent tyre!
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Thank you Labbix - all inflated to 44 psi / 50 psi. And I treated myself to a powerful compressor with good reviews from Amazon and suitable for big rubber... having said I wouldn't!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Labbix

Glad I could help a bit, and as tires are the most important safety feature that comes with a car, good to hear you bought the compressor as well!
    As an extra it is a very welcome tool for all that stuff kids ask you to blow up as well,
    Enjoy the trip!
  • Labbix

Last thing, I always use one of these to check my tire pressures, as much more trustworthy than digital ones or other tools, especially on different altitudes.
    Don’t trust the read out on the compressor and checking on the cars dash is a bit of a hassle when inflating/deflating (you can buy similar, but take the full metal ones);

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-...B00280BL9O
  • bammmy

Re: A question about tyre pressures: Light load or Heavy load?

747_JK wrote:
    So....... departing shortly on a road trip up to the Outer Hebrides, with the car fully laden with 2 adults, and two small children (5 & 3), plus a boot which will be rammed full with luggage. Nothing on the roof, and not towing anything.

It's 700 miles there, we'll do 500-700 miles once on the islands over a couple of weeks, and 700 miles to get back home. The car will only be fully laden on the way up & back. On the islands, the boot will be largely empty - but we might be have a couple of friends on board at times too. Mostly sticking on tarmac, only a few possible trips on some sand (as always - to a nearby tidal island), and a bit of driving on grass.

But adjusting pressures once on the islands isn't all that easy. There's no reliable air compressor with gauge near where we'll be, so I want to avoid adjusting the pressures once there. I've never bothered adjusting them before, but wondered whether I really should this time around (first trip up in the D5). Whatever I do, it'll be a case of keeping the car on Light load pressures, or Heavy load pressures, for the entire trip. Thoughts?

(and no, I don't want to pack my own compressor - don't have one)

I'm in exactly the same predicament off to Scotland, not towing but a boot full of stuff.
    How did you go on travelling at the higher pressure???
    Does any body have any thoughts.
    Mark
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

We’ve got an armed border crossing at Gretna Green now. Please God, this will be it until November! Thud Hey, Cornwall is nice evidently. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Dangerdave on 1st May 2019 7:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

I found the car handled really well at the increased pressures, and I was very glad I bothered and changed them. I de-flated when we unpacked at our Scottish house, and re-inflated before coming home fully-loaded again. And then the air back out once home...

I bought one of these before the journey. It came with a handy travel bag for the boot, so now lives in the car. Well recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BTQK18L

• bammmy

Cheers for quick reply.
    Is there only two recommended pressures, the high or low, the point I'm asking is at what point does it change with no middle pressure.
  • Labbix

I drive at the higher pressure since a month at the moment and saw that in the settings it was still on the ‘light load’. No idea what these settings do, but the car drives perfectly well even when it’s not fully fully loaded all the time although higher pressure is also recommended for higher speeds (so can’t be that bad). I didn’t find anything in the iGUIDE, but saying that the TPMS needed the correct settings, probably more to tell you earlier when a tire goes flat if at the higher pressure.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

I believe the Higher / Lower Load Settings function in the menu should trigger the on-board TPMS, so that you get alerts if the tyres become under-inflated by too much. The car needs to know what the pressure should be at the time (I'd imagine - I haven't read the manual on this). But that's how aftermarket TPMS works.

The little plaque on the side of the car by the driver's door on my car suggests Light Load is for four adult passengers MAX, and with no luggage. It would appear anything above that, and you switch to the Heavy Load settings.

• Craigp
    England 

I drive with mine set to heavy load all year round empty or full. Apparently better for tyre wear also saves messing. Possibly a harder ride but not noticed it.
  • bammmy

Does it affect the economy driving all year in heavy load mode?
  • Craigp
    England 

I would assume its slightly better but whether its measurable is another thing.
  • bammmy

Cheers 👍
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum