Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

...with a tailwind! Laughing

I average about 21-22 miles per US gallon combined (~26 UK mpg), occasionally touch 30-31 mpg (37 UK mpg) on the highway, averaging around 27-28 mpg (33 UK mpg) highway depending on terrain.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

guys - dont shoot the messenger. Whenever mpg comes up as a topic folks with the 3ltr say they are getting mpg thats as good (or sometimes better) than the 2Ltr.

My numbers are for my 2Ltr.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I’ve also got a 2lt.

Driving locally I get about 30mpg, but then I live in the Highlands were the roads are mostly single track, twisty, up and down.

If I get on the A9, normally north of Inverness, I get about 38mpg,
  • TheJR
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Very many thanks to you all for your time and input. I think the the 2 litre would be fine, however I have gone with this 3 litre on the basis that its available and in my much preferred colour combination with good additional spec and a good price.

Could've waited a long time for a 2 litre to come up the matched the value for money of this purchase so I reckoned a small few hundred a year in fuel was worth it for this particular car.

The dealer did confirm it is a MY18, which is, of course, is proved by the steering wheel controls and VIN no. He was, apparently, "thinking of another car" Rolling Eyes

Pick it up tomorrow, HSE in Loire Blue with Espresso/Nimbus interior, deployable side steps, detachable tow hitch, roof bars, tilt and slide sunroof and intelligent seat fold. Also has the five year service pack which at least removes the cost of any ongoing oil dilution issues.
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

Your story has a number of similarities to mine.

I came from 4 years of BMW ownership, 3 of which with the excellent 3L straight 6. I could not recommend that engine enough. Smooth, effortless, powerful. It made ownership of that car a pleasure and it was going to be tough to beat. The car that replaced it would have a lot to live up to.

The XC90 looks superb, handled pretty well, was well specced and was pretty economical. I don't know about anyone else, but the Volvo seemed like a sensible purchase. It seemed to tick every box, and yet...something was missing. The Volvo D5 engine is pretty punchy for what it is, but it is no match for any 6 cylinder once you'd driven one.

The heart finally led me to the Discovery 5. I was fortunate enough to be able to get the SDV6 having originally driven two TD6's and the difference in my mind was noticeable. One of my main concerns after having the BMW 3L was a lack of (perceived) power. The TD6 at 258bhp is still ample, but with it being such a big vehicle, I noticed the extra weight given the very similar power output. The SDV6 with its extra 50bhp really helped to bridge that gap and whilst it isn't the same as the BMW, it is close enough (given the size) to still put a smile on my face.

The InControl app is giving me figures of between 32-38mpg on my 14 mile run to and from work with traffic near the town centre. I haven't verified its accuracy, but suspect it to be reading high. I'm looking forward to the next real run it gets to see what can be achieved.
  • TheJR
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Tempted I agree about the BMW engine, truly a thing of excellence.

You are right, the Volvo is a lovely car, its only real 'fault' for me was the in top spec you get 21" wheels with 40 profile tyres and after 3 pothole caused new tyres in the last year I was determined not to go below 50 profile. So the 55's on the Disco are perfect as the roads in Scotland truly are in an atrocious state.

I first drove the Disco about 10 days ago and the Volvo on Tuesday. I went back and drove the Disco again yesterday so that I could compare it with the Volvo as soon after as possible and as you say in terms of the feeling of sitting in and driving there is really no comparison.

I am happy enough with the TDV6 as I genuinely intend to be frugal and still have the good lady's M240i if I feel the need! Very Happy
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum