Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ukms
    United Arab Emirates 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

20” Tyre recommendations for the UAE

Hi All

I’m looking to replace the tyres on my HSE lux which currently has 20” rims, 255/55 20 factory Pirelli All Season tyres.

Living in the UAE I’m looking to upgrade these to something a little more capable off road but still good every day on road.

I’m not concerned about mud and snow Smile my main concern is actually sharp rock as we frequently head off on light trails in the mountains of northern UAE and Oman. I’m not really into dune bashing although sand is a frequent encounter on remote beaches.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
  • HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Am looking to go with General Grabber AT3's - they come in the right size (255 22 R20)
    For me I just need to find a set of take off 20 inch wheels.
    My car came with 21 inch wheels - cant find anything in this size.

Other option is the Goodyear Duratrac - they come in the same size..
    These are a little more aggressive - on some websites they even identify them as mud terrain.

Thing there is a Cooper version but not sure on the sizing.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

On sand you are better off with road biased tyres rather than an off road biased one. As for going over sharp rocks, letting your tyre pressure down will help rolling over rocks rather than hitting them. Give it a try on your current tyres first and see how you go. On rocky trails I usually go down to 25psi, on the beach to 15psi (and down to 10psi if it still struggles)..

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • ukms
    United Arab Emirates 

HDFB110 wrote:
    Am looking to go with General Grabber AT3's - they come in the right size (255 22 R20)
    For me I just need to find a set of take off 20 inch wheels.
    My car came with 21 inch wheels - cant find anything in this size.

Other option is the Goodyear Duratrac - they come in the same size..
    These are a little more aggressive - on some websites they even identify them as mud terrain.

Thing there is a Cooper version but not sure on the sizing.

Sorry for the delayed reply !

I’ve had some fantastic fun in the D5 and done a couple of weekends off road on a variety of surfaces in the mountains of northern UAE and I’ve decided that I need something more aggressive than the stock tyres so have ordered the Goodyear Duratec on a new set of rims shipped from the UK ..... I can’t source the 20 Duratecs here in UAE.

I’ll let you know how they go !
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Edit: never mind, I reread your last post. Confused

Get 275/55-20 tires - the extra contact surface area will help in sand and the extra sidewall will help in rock. If you're in rock a lot, I would look for something with Kevlar in the tread and sidewall.

Can you get BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2? What about Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar? You may also look at the Continental TerrainContact AT (also has Kevlar/aramid fiber armor) and a good value is the Cooper Discoverer ATP if you can get them. Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus also has Kevlar in the casing.

I run Cooper Discoverer AT3 on mine and they're pretty good, but our terrain in Colorado is a bit different.
  • Huxey
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I have the Goodyear Duratrac on mine and I’m looking forward to trying them off-road. They certainly my look the part.

HSE Lux TD6 Carpathian Grey, 20" Black Pack + loaded with options.
    Previously: 2011 BMW X5 MSport 35i Carbon Black
  • ukms
    United Arab Emirates 

Very happy with my setup now ..... Very Happy
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum