United Kingdom 

JLR Future Direction?

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

No one spotted what is attached to each quarter and on the roof? Laughing
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Cameras Smile I guess this is the fully autonomous test vehicle (or one of them). I was reading about them running around Milton Keynes in driverless mode.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Exactly! Thumbs Up
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

It can’t park though!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Equilibrium wrote:
    Cameras Smile I guess this is the fully autonomous test vehicle (or one of them). I was reading about them running around Milton Keynes in driverless mode.

Ladar, technically. The thing on the top spins rapidly and a laser maps its surroundings. The things on the corners look like probably a combination camera / ladar to hit the blind spots the roof-mounted one can't see.

JLR has been doing a lot of research on self-driving vehicles - they sold a bunch of I-Pace's to Waymo (Google self-driving/rideshare project) to host autonomous driving sensors and apps. What's cool is through their sponsorship of Invictus games LR is doing this to support mobility, using wounded warriors to help them. While most of us fully-abled people might say "why bother?" to the idea of self-driving off-road vehicles, to someone with missing or damaged limbs or other impairments that might be just the thing needed.
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

They can't even get Apple Car Play to stay stable, I am not going to trust a JLR Autonomous car for years and years!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

HSE Lux in Silver / Black
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

What do we all think about the potential buyout or partnership by/with PSA?

To me, the brand portfolio actually makes perfect sense. There is very little overlap between model ranges and surely some great economies of scale to be had in the middle (e.g. DS5/5008/DS7/F-pace/Velar/Disco Sport/Evoque).

Powertrain/electrification/autonomies scale up well in a bigger group too.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I think I would never buy a Landrover again if PSA were involved. Simple!!!!

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 

Ditto!!!

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Since you have the Td6 engine in your Discovery, I'm sorry to say Pugeot is already involved in your vehicle. Whistle

The Lion Td6 engine is a joint venture between Pugeot and Ford. It's good enough that Ford decided to use it for the F150 pickup, which is the single best selling vehicle in the US for the past 35 years and something of an institution here.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Harry and Miles, that’s interesting that the PSA influence would drive you away from JLR. Is that a fear of the engineering/capabilities being watered down?

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

well on the basis JLR denied it a few weeks ago, I guess its definitely true lol

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Harry and Miles, that’s interesting that the PSA influence would drive you away from JLR. Is that a fear of the engineering/capabilities being watered down?

'personally' this is last chance for me with JLR products, I have had 2 x L322 RR's, 1 L454 AB Dynamic, 3 Freelanders, 2 x P38's. 2 x Disco 4's and 1 x Disco 3 (2 XF's, 1 XK8 & 1 F Pace, almost all of them have had big problems I have not had with German makes. I had some massive problems with my last DIsco 4 and my L454 RRS ABDyn.... total brake failure twice on a 1 year old car.

I am giving JLR one last chance as JLR. I beleive that if an new partnership / ownership comes in we will see some teething issues, some cost cutting and a deviation from what feels like a current move in the right direction.

History, with RR's, in particular, show us that when new owners (BMW P38, Ford L322, Tata L405) come in, it takes some time to get things settled. The current product range is taking shape nicely and hopefully they will move from towards the bottom of the reliability stakes, I can only worry if PSA or any other mass manufacturers get involved it could cause issues or early run quality issues.

All my own personal thoughts and addressing my comment about 'last JLR product if merger / purchase happened'

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Miles. I’ve always followed the car industry, but not LR closely enough to see the impact on individual models that ownership changes had. Interesting angle and I can certainly see where you are coming from.

Rich

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum