Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• StinTov
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Low battery warning

We went away camping last week. As usual we left the boot and doors open as everyone helped unload. About 50 minutes after pulling up I got a call from the tracker company stating a battery disconnect! The dash said low battery, I started the car up and thought no more of it. Later that week after opening the boot about four times I got yet another call from the tracker firm.

I must say that with LED lights and modern electronics i'm surprised that the battery is draining so fast!

The old DS3 with the old bulbs last longer than that!

Can anyone comment please?

HSE Lux, MY18, Silicon silver 3.0d
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Had low battery flash up a couple of times on the dash, normally because I’ve had something on when it wasn’t running. Never paid it much attention tbh, if it doesn’t start, I’ll phone up LR Assist,
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I usually get the low battery warning if I've been cleaning the inside of the car. The frequent opening of doors keeps waking up the electrical system. Eventually, the car even stops turning on the interior lights to conserve power and make sure there is enough left in the battery to start the engine.

It's not so much the lights that drain the battery but rather everything else that powers up when you open a door. Leaving a door or the tailgate open for a long time doesn't seem to cause a problem but frequent opening and closing does.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

the D5 struggles to keep the battery fully charged from what I can tell....after a week of short journey's the Stop/Start stops working on mine until it's been on a 100-200mile non-stop trip, then all back to normal.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

JonM wrote:
    I usually get the low battery warning if I've been cleaning the inside of the car. The frequent opening of doors keeps waking up the electrical system. Eventually, the car even stops turning on the interior lights to conserve power and make sure there is enough left in the battery to start the engine.

It's not so much the lights that drain the battery but rather everything else that powers up when you open a door. Leaving a door or the tailgate open for a long time doesn't seem to cause a problem but frequent opening and closing does.

This has been my experience. I have it booked in for something else and had asked them to look at this as well, but if this is a common issue, then I'll not bother risking them scratching the body work charging and faffing about with the battery if I don't need to Wink
  • gavinadams
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Battery charger / conditioner install instructions.

Seems that the part is only available in the UK

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....y/G2010807

D5 MY19 HSE SD4 Loire Blue - Ebony seats / Ebony headlining - Dark Satin brushed aluminium trim - 7 seats - Heated and cooled front seats - Privacy glass - Black roof rails - 360 cameras - Capability plus pack
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

I just plug my CTEK MXS10 in to the tow electrics socket and put it in supply mode if I'm going to be opening and closing the doors a lot.

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

And charges the car? Through which pin? Thought the supply to the trailer was disconnected when the engine wasnt running thus the pin would be disconnected?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

Yes, it can charge the car. There is a permanent live pin on the 13 pin socket that can take a maximum of 10 amps. I can't remember which pin it is, I just use the same plug as I used in the D4 purchased from the other forum.

https://www.disco4.com/shop/tow-electrics-...c-p45.html

• chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Assuming this is as designed and my car doesn't have a fault, this battery drain issue is going to be a problem. I have yet to work out whether this is an over-cautious warning threshold or a real drain. To be on the safe side, I have been taking my jump pack around with me.

Either way, I don't understand how LR think this is compatible with people using their SUV as an SUV, when it's going to be parked up, left unlocked and have doors and tailgate constantly open or opened.

Andrew
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I recall the car hire firm in Iceland asking us not to leave the doors open for prolong periods when we collected a D5. Chap said they get flat battery issues but I assumed it was an Iceland thing across all their cars due to the climate but maybe it wasn't Confused

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

The guys are the car wash managed to run my D4 out of battery juice too in the space of 2 hours, probably doors open, radio on, probably charging all their phones.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

JonM wrote:
    Yes, it can charge the car. There is a permanent live pin on the 13 pin socket that can take a maximum of 10 amps. I can't remember which pin it is, I just use the same plug as I used in the D4 purchased from the other forum.

https://www.disco4.com/shop/tow-electrics-...c-p45.html

Interesting, in the "old days" of the 7 pin sockets cars had a split charge relay to ensure the car and caravan were not connected once the engine was no longer running? On this basis, the caravan could deplete the car battery (eg by having a duff caravan battery). I must remember when parked up or on a ferry to unplug the caravan from the car.

• Craigp
    England 

The 13 pin still has a split charge relay for items that draw a large current ie fridge, but they also have a permanent 12v supply for low current items as in lighting and water pumps. This is exactly the same as the old 7 pin and 12s.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

interestingly, Bailey's wiring diagram doesn't say what is connected to PIN 9 (the perm live) only that the fridge is connected to the switched live. It doesn't tell you which one the leisure battery is connected to for charging from the tow vehicle, thus I will stick to my thought of unplugging the caravan every time I stop, just in case the battery is connected to PIN9 not the switched one.

I do know, that if the car is connected, none of the internal electrics work in the caravan, it disconnects the caravan battery and does not power lights or waterpumps whilst plugged into the car.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum