Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

DieselRanger.. You are correct with your reference to the lion engine and there lies one of the issues..previous reliability, how many broken cranks, thrown rods, EGR issues, oil pump failures etc etc. with that engine. Hopefully all sorted now. If you talk to dealer mechanics, not many are complementary towards PSA over a wide range of issues.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Labbix

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

should be interesting, having been owned by BMW for 6 years or so in the past and with BMW listed as being reliable apart from their electronics! Should be a good fit then with dodgy electronics

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

That’s a good partnership I think. I wonder if BMW will be continuing to share with Toyota as well.

Either way, great news for JLR imho.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

harrythespider wrote:
    DieselRanger.. You are correct with your reference to the lion engine and there lies one of the issues..previous reliability, how many broken cranks, thrown rods, EGR issues, oil pump failures etc etc. with that engine. Hopefully all sorted now. If you talk to dealer mechanics, not many are complementary towards PSA over a wide range of issues.

We've had it in the US only since 2016, and aside from the phantom fuel-in-oil dilution warnings (which is really emissions related, not engine mechanicals related) the engines seem to be rock solid. I'm coming up on 30,000 miles on my 2017 D5 and it's been a dream, knock wood. My dealer sells many but they don't seem to service many outside of standard oil changes and such.

Ford would not risk putting this engine in their best-selling truck in the US if they weren't confident in its durability...diesel trucks in the US are a religion and the battle between the Big 3 here is pitched.

Still, I'd like to see the long-rumored Ingenium inline 6 turbodiesel, but I fear they're delaying or dumping that in favor of hybrids and electrics.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

in effect its an ageing engine, with its roots in the Disco 3 2.7L from 2004 (and various others, the Peugeot 607, Citroen C5, Ford Territory as well as JLR producted) should really mean the mechanicals are well proven and the issues fixed. It was of course a joint venture between PSA and Ford.

Personally, I think my Td6 is a very smooth and refined engine that pulls pretty well for a car weighing what it does.

The issue is of course environmental, something brand new will reduce the emissions and work with new hybrid technology, so its days are number I guess even in the latest 306ps Sd6 version.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Labbix

But the environmental standards are ‘perfect’ with this engine, as a few months ago some testing showed it was cleaner than a Renault Clio... and even consumption is ok I think.
    And with mechanics definitely proven, this is a dream of an engine! I’m not sure I would be willing to put my money as a first buyer/tester for the new (hybrid) ingenium 6 inline, diesel or petrol... although it seems quite attractive on paper!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Labbix...totally agree.

I read that article with a smile, then thought all of the legislators won'tr believe a thing they'll continue to try to tax it off the road claiming its emissions related because a) its Diesel and b) is big.

Theres no way I would want one of the Ingenium 6 engines for a good few years yet, look how long it took to get the Ingenium 4 working properly (I know some of the lessons will have been incorporated into the 6)

I only have Td6, the Sd6 must be a very fine engine with a bit more A-road oomph...

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

There's certainly no pleasing activist legislators and regulators. Blame Volkswagen and Bosch for ruining it for everyone.

Despite the fact that diesels produce less greenhouse gases (CO2 and SO2) than petrol engines and release more stored energy per liter thereby running more efficiently, they produce more oxides of nitrogen and soot than petrol engines. Soot settles out quickly, but NOx have been blamed for exasperating respiratory illnesses in urban areas, hence the EU6 and US Tier 2 Bins that have required SCR systems and particulate filters.

Still,battery technology is improving rapidly, and it's hastening internal combustion's demise. I love the Td6 engine and will shed a tear when the last ICE engine clatters to silence, as I know we will be forced to accept a compromise in range and charging time vs ICE engines, never mind the character a nice growl imparts on a car's experience.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

I fear the death of the diesel will mean the sale of the caravan, no more SUV and running a silent electric car that will require joining a queue to charge every 200 miles. Have to then try to avoid running over the people that can't hear them coming!

I see the 2400kg Audi Etron (not really a competitor to the Disco other than in size, price and weight) is listed as realistically doing 200 miles between charges if not towing. Assuming whilst towing 1800kg (its max) it will manage about 140miles, then need to find a super charger which will recharge to 80% in 30 minutes, giving you another 110 miles, still short of one tank on a Disco Td6 towing.

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Apparently the EU will make it mandatory by 2021 for all EV and hybrid vehicles to emit sound at low speed. I did see a documentary where 'boffins' were experimenting with various sound samples to apply to said vehicles. I guess if you were to be able to customise the sound, you could have your chosen car sounding like an SVR for example... certainly food for thought!!!! Laughing

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

hehe that would be cool, they do sound good.

• Labbix

Not much more info, but a quick overview from past till present:

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum