Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

battery drain

Having just read the thread "wont start" and low battery conditions, I have a question (and its possibly more one for the tuggers on here)

As the Alko ATC uses a permanent 12V live (not ign switched) and as I understand it is only pulling very low current, will this pull the battery down if the 'van is left hooked up to the car for a few hours (like on a overnight ferry crossing). I have left the 'van hooked up during a crossing on the D4 with no issues so wasnt expecting any with the D5

Cheers
    Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Searching around I found this on another forum which indicates the current draw is around 50 mA. If this figure is correct having this attached to the car for around 8 hours should not have any significant impact to the battery level:

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/to...ition-off/
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Fair enough - I did know that it was very low draw - just windered if the D5 was more sensitive to low battery condition

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Craigp
    England 

Ive also asked this question and was told very low current. However when you connect up it certainly sounds like it pulls in a substantial relay so surprised it is low current. Having said that ive had it connected overnight with no adverse effects. Also prefer to be called a caravaner not a tugger!. For obvious reasons. Laughing
  • Barry C
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Low battery

My MY2018 Disco5 kept giving " low battery, start engine "messages if I didn't use the vehicle every day.

Contacted LR Assist and they sent me a LR technician, absolutely brilliant. Armed with a shed load of computers, he detected a discharge of just over 1 amp when everything was switched off and asleep.

He suggested it may be a module not closing down completely, and he updated them.

Result, Battery discharge at rest is now almost zero, and car can sit in garage for over a week with no low battery messages Very Happy Very Happy .

Last edited by Barry C on 1st Jul 2019 7:16 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

update - I had the "low battery start engine" warning after we stopped at the services on the way down to devon a week ago with the 'van attched. We only stopped for about 1/2hr. Never had it come up at any time before. But it didnt do it when we stopped on the way home for about the same time - strange?

Al

• Labbix

For those who might be a bit concerned about the battery drain and leaving it at the airport Wink

The night before dropping it, I have put in on a CTEK charger, to make sure it was as full as possible.

I had mine standing still at the airport for 12 days, not under a concrete roof, but a cloth one, maybe that helped for the tracker drawing less power, but not sure about that. Had the jump starters with me in case of... but it started immediately and all perfect, not even a low battery message.

And to convince me it was in great battery condition, after 30 meters of driving and waiting for the boom to open, the start/stop kicked in, so definitely the car could be parked for a longer time, at least in ‘the open’.

Good news!
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

My issue is when using the car as a shed on an event where tools, spares and wives are in it and it is unlocked, with the tailgate open and the doors repeatedly opened and closed over a 12H period. Keeping it 'awake' like this prompts the Low Battery message very quickly.

Does anyone know at what volts the Low Battery message comes on? I.e. does it need to be taken seriously or can it be ignored for a time?

Andrew
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The car seems very good at protecting its ability to start the engine. A few times, when I've been opening and closing doors of a few hours, mine has got to the stage of turning off power to everything including the tailgate and interior lights but it still starts reliably and stop-start kicks in at the first junction after driving off. There must still be plenty of charge in the battery even though the car is protecting itself.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

This is driving me nuts. Warning comes on after being left unlocked but doors shut for only 2 hours. If it is a genuine warning, then it is unbelieveably poor (maybe mine has an issue?) or if you can ignore it, then the warning is pointless.

Andrew
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum