Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• beeker
    New Zealand 

Different Disco5 Air Suspension types?

Was there any changes to the Disco5 air suspension since launch date?

In driving a 2018 v's a 2017, it seems slightly flatter in the corners, or it could just be in my head ?
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Im not aware of any changes to the air suspension since launch. The only change was introduction of optional adaptive damping at 19MY. Is the new car you drove with AD?
  • beeker
    New Zealand 

Not sure, but the current car (late 2017 production) is a bit rolley around the bends.

We like the overall car, but would look at a different disco if there was a spec that handled better (wheels / tyres aside)
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Had a loan car for a week with 20's, which handled like a boat, but the ride was comfortable, soaking up all the bumps on the road.

The FE and HSE LUX both have 22's. What a difference in handling. Wider tyre footprint and shallower sidewall, equating to less tyre flex and less body roll.

Alot less boat like, and far more stable, albeit a firmer ride.

Can really throw the car into corners with more confidence and brake that split second later, compared to the loan car on 20's.

Not had a chance to test the car with adaptive dynamics, but going by some of the posts on here am sure it will tighten the car up even further, improving the ride handling.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Labbix

Adaptive suspension came only available since the sd6, so halfway 2018 to order.

But isn’t inflating the tires a bit more not the easiest solution if you ‘suffer’ from boating?

I always ride with a higher pressure and can’t say the ‘boating’ bothers me in my MY18 on 20 inch. However I almost have a MY20 lux on order (with 20 inch!) and did spec the Adaptive Suspension, but more because I’m curious to see/feel the difference on the disco than I really think I need it (and as well as I have it on my other cars and really like it, but these are customizable, not so on the D5)
  • beeker
    New Zealand 

So what actually is adaptive dynamics ?
    If the car is still air sprung, is it just a stiffer setup?

We like the disco size, but the roll is getting too me, even my wife!
    Note, that’s not the tyre roll but the suspension roll once you pitch it in.
    If there is a stiffer better handling spec (tyres aside), I’ll definitely look at a swap.
  • Labbix

Adaptive Dynamics continuously monitors and analyzes current road conditions and driving style, including speed, steering and body movement up to 500 times a second. This allows the system to select a wide range of dampening rates from extremely soft to extremely hard, or anywhere in between these two states. By doing so, the suspension system is continuously optimized to suit the driving conditions.
  • Labbix

Or see this for a better understanding:

https://www.cartelligent.com/blog/should-y...suspension
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

beeker wrote:

If there is a stiffer better handling spec (tyres aside), I’ll definitely look at a swap.

Its basically what was called Continous Variable Damping (CVD) which allows the dampers to be constantly adjusted electrically to allow the car to be softer or firmer. The system continuously monitors and adjusts each damper to suit the road conditions. Similar systems from BMW are called VDC (Variable Damper Control) but these offer the user option to select ride firmness in some cases (like BWM).

Sort of like this:

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

At standard tyre pressures my 2017 HSE on 20" wheels handles and rides like a boat.

Hadnt considered upping them to full load pressures, might try that this weekend

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

beeker wrote:

Shame no one has worked out a way to stiffen the damping via a software update....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • beeker
    New Zealand 

Not sure if the same

Bmw use traditional fluid shocks as opposed to air
    Quite different

MalithS wrote:
    beeker wrote:

Its basically what was called Continous Variable Damping (CVD) which allows the dampers to be constantly adjusted electrically to allow the car to be softer or firmer. The system continuously monitors and adjusts each damper to suit the road conditions. Similar systems from BMW are called VDC (Variable Damper Control) but these offer the user option to select ride firmness in some cases (like BWM).

Sort of like this:

• JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

As I understand it (and I am willing to be corrected).....

The air bags on the D5 are effectively springs not dampers (shock absorbers). If there were not dampers in addition to the airbags you'd be bouncing around as though you were driving a space hopper. Rolling with laughter

Adaptive dynamics doesn't change what the air suspension system is doing, the air system would be too slow to react anyway and would only be able to change the ride height of an individual corner anyway. Instead the adaptive dynamics changes the response of the damper (shock absorbers) that work in conjunction with the air suspension.

I don't know what system is actually used, but I'd expect it to be some sort of MR damper

https://www.lord.com/products-and-solution...amper-work

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

beeker wrote:
    Not sure if the same

Bmw use traditional fluid shocks as opposed to air
    Quite different

MalithS wrote:
    beeker wrote:

Sort of like this:

The shocks arent air on the Disco. Only the air springs (suspension height etc).
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

JonM wrote:
    As I understand it (and I am willing to be corrected).....

The air bags on the D5 are effectively springs not dampers (shock absorbers). If there were not dampers in addition to the airbags you'd be bouncing around as though you were driving a space hopper. Rolling with laughter

Adaptive dynamics doesn't change what the air suspension system is doing, the air system would be too slow to react anyway and would only be able to change the ride height of an individual corner anyway. Instead the adaptive dynamics changes the response of the damper (shock absorbers) that work in conjunction with the air suspension.

I don't know what system is actually used, but I'd expect it to be some sort of MR damper

https://www.lord.com/products-and-solution...amper-work

Yes Jon you are quite correct. Air springs and the shocks are two different things. The AD system has different shock absorbers (active dampers) which can be electrically controlled to 'tune' the stiffness to suit the conditions.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum