Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Apple5580
    United Kingdom 

Hi everyone

Newbie here, not an actual owner yet, but i’m very tempted to purchase a discovery 5. The only trouble is, i have an Audi A6 3.0 bitdi 2014 Avant and a ford Kuga 2.0 tdi 4x4 that would have to be chopped in. Both fantastic cars with not faults what so ever. Been looking at either a first edition, or a hse luxury 3.0. Any help and advise would be appreciated. Thanks Simon
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Ask the garage about taking two? Otherwise there’s various permutations of selling privately or via webuyanycar, but it’s your decision.
  • Apple5580
    United Kingdom 

Yes the garage will take two no problem, it is just the big decision of wether to let two very good cars go for one excellent car. But i’m reading one or two bad things about the discovery 5 on here
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

What have you read that is of concern to you? Maybe we can put your mind at rest.

I am sure if you go on an Audi forum you will read about lots of problems there as well.
  • Apple5580
    United Kingdom 

Just about the oil dilution really. And yes i see your point, there are probably more bad points than plus with Audi’s too
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Well the oil dilution is fixed by a software update, some owners went to the trouble of having it tested and found there was no great issue. The software was too aggressive in it's calculation and giving percentage values that were way too high.
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Oil dilution has affected very few in the scheme of things, is covered by LR and if rumours are true, has been fixed with software patches. Certainly First Editions or 17/18 plate HSE Lux's should be sorted by now / will have shown it before now.

The Disco 5 is a great car. I've come from L405 & RRS Autobiography MY16 and both feel dated, old and heavy compared to the D5. Family friendly and will more than cover your 2 cars.

DO IT! he he

Thumbs Up

HSE Lux in Silver / Black
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

PS - Forums are rarely there to say 'this car is awesome, no problems, nothing I would fix or improve on', they are there to share experiences and how to get the most from the cars, so problems are always highlighted. LR have their fair share of problems, but overall I can put up with that for what is a great vehicle.

HSE Lux in Silver / Black
  • Apple5580
    United Kingdom 

Thank you all for your feedback
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Try tootle as well for selling your two cars. It advertises your car to trade buyers, including large dealer groups. You’re not committed to accepting an offer when you advertise, you still have to physically except it.

I sold my 2016 440i through tootle. Beat the best BMW trade in offer by about 3k and similarly in excess of the trade in against my D5. I had several dealers bid against each other, all in excess of my asking price.

Took the best offer from a major BMW dealer group and the sale was a piece of cake. They come, inspect the car, take it away. There may have been a tear in my eye as it drove off Very Happy

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Apple5580
    United Kingdom 

Also another question, should i go for the TD6 or SDV6 engine? And are there any major differences?
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

if you can afford a 2019 model, then definitely the SD6, more power, more torque and mildly more efficient. There are still a few TD6 suffering early oil change issues, although the majority seem to have been rectified earlier this year with a software update. I think the TD6 is the best bit of the car, smooth, surprisingly fuel efficient, it is however difficult to find out if a specific car suffered the early oil change issues. You can of course compare last service mileage against the distance to next service in the car's computer, which will give you a fair idea of whether the car has any current issues.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Apple5580 wrote:
    Just about the oil dilution really. And yes i see your point, there are probably more bad points than plus with Audi’s too

I have a March 1st 2017 1st Editon and had oil dilution issues. |This was all covered by dealer with free anytime oil and filter cahnges as required all covered by warranty. However
    As for other issues, I have had software issues associated with the infotainment system which can be a little frustrating but things are now improving and I would not be detered from buying one as long as you have a good supportive dealer.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I would suggest a good supportive dealer may exist somewhere in the UK, but most people are looking for it (I doubt there's more than one in the country!).

The dealer I bought from lied, oh lied again, then didn't do what they said they had (is that lied???), then told me early oil changes were not a warranty issue because my car was registered in July 2017 only those registered earlier in 2017 qualified for that because they changed the small print about service intervals at that point, then told me they had done all of the recalls that were outstanding on TOPIX twice and that had been outstanding since before I bought the car and should have been done as part of the used car checks required by JLR, then finally admitted 4 months later they had done none of them.

Once all of the updates were done, including the Infotainment one (with which they included Smartphone pack at no cost due to prior hassle) the software is all now working ok. Only issue which can't be overcome is how long it takes to boot up in the morning, plus the parking sensor already mentioned. Interestingly the tow bar worked fine before the January 2019 update.

When the car was collected today for its 2nd year service, the driver was genuinely surprised when I said they were the only issues I wanted them to look at.

Would I have bought the car if I had known what I was going to go through? definitely not. Am I now happy with the car? yes, it is running fine and if they fix the parking sensor issue today then all of its functions and features are working fine too.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum