Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

TD6 is similar, interestingly its smoother around town if in S rather than D, where the dead bit of the throttle seems to be reduced

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Labbix

Agree with Mordred1973
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Regret change.

Changed from 2005 Disco 3 HSE to 2017 Disco 5 HSE Lux.
    Headlights inferior. Less space in rear. Cannot see all four corners as I could in the D3. Camera system a poor substitute.
    Returning D5 to dealer. Seeking a D4 HSE or Landmark even accepting straight swap.

D5 HSE Lux 2017
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Not sure what you have got but my MY17 has better headlight than the D4 and camera system is heads above the D4

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 

My D3 HSE had the swivelling headlights (dip beam) and fixed bendy lights. Really useful aalong twisty country lanes. I certainly miss them. As the D5 HSE Lux is top of the range I would have expected adaptive LED headlights and the adaptive cruise control. In short I am extremely disappointed with this vehicle, but that is no more than my personal opinion.

D5 HSE Lux 2017
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Russell wrote:
    Not sure what you have got but my MY17 has better headlight than the D4 and camera system is heads above the D4

I agree with Russell, the full beam is awesome and cameras alot clearer than the D4. Love the 360 degree feature.

Apparently the lights don't swivel in the D5 unlike in the previous models though, and I understand your disappointment.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

MAC OSX wrote:
    My D3 HSE had the swivelling headlights (dip beam) and fixed bendy lights. Really useful aalong twisty country lanes. I certainly miss them. As the D5 HSE Lux is top of the range I would have expected adaptive LED headlights and the adaptive cruise control. In short I am extremely disappointed with this vehicle, but that is no more than my personal opinion.

2017 spec didnt have adaptive cruise control or the adjustable/swivel headlights as standard from memory they were all cost options

With regards to swivel headlights, the later D4s only moved a small amount compared with earlier D4's or D3's

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Labbix

FWIW: on my MY18 lux the fog light goes on for the side you are turning, so it’s just a matter of ticking the right options and pay for it... I do like the lights a lot better than on my D4, but never had a D3 Wink
    I have the adaptive leds as well, but admit that on my German cars it’s more obvious the lights turn as you see the beam turning, but I do think that this adaptive led option is in the long run the better choice and they do not blind other drivers as do the swiveling leds.
    Regarding the boot space and in general the more useable free space (like under the seats or the third row side pockets) for the D4, I do agree it is not better now.
    For the all round visibility I have to disagree, the 360 cameras, or more correct what is visible on the screen, are not as good as with the Germans, but way better than with my D4.
  • Labbix

Actually the ‘smaller’ boot is my main disadvantage for the D5, and solely because the luggage cover is placed too low; normal suitcases in side position don’t fit under this cover like they did with the D4. And our fridge/freezer was placed firm under this in the D4 as well, but in the D5 this boot cover is so unpractical that you better don’t use it, and use the optional net to avoid luggage getting in from the back to the front. If taken out, the boot is fine again (for sure if you have the tinted windows). And as I’m complaining I can add one last thing: isofix for the middle seat second row as in the Q7 or even a Ford Galaxy...
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 

I do agree about the camera system. It does make up for the curvy (more aerodynamic) body. However I am quite prepared to accept slightly higher fuel consumption for a more useful body with natural direct sight of all four corners.

I would like to point out that I fully accept other peoples experience and opinions.

D5 HSE Lux 2017
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 

Go for it.

Most D5 problems are in the 2017 vehicles (eg Service Interval Indicator).
    2018 onwards quite trouble free compared to other (non LR) vehicles..
    Another 4 * 4 (part time) had problems with transfer box not engaging the Front Wheel drive and overheating result in destruction of the transfer box.

D5 HSE Lux 2017
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

at the risk of causing trouble, my 2017 had issues all of which related to the supplying (official LR used scheme) dealer. Once all of those were fixed and the early oil service issue rectified back in January 2019, the only issue I have with my car is a 25% refusal to deploy the tow bar (sorted by re-deploying).

Otherwise, the car appears to all be working fine with updated software and Android Auto.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 

Very similar to my experience.
    I feel that the dealers do not have the support they should have from JLR.
    Despite this my dealer (Donnelly's of Dungannon) have been very good.

D5 HSE Lux 2017
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum