Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Texas... don't expect to see many LRs!

So I recently spent a fortnight in Texas on holiday, driving 1,500 miles and going between Houston, Corpus Christi and Austin.

How many Discos did I spot on the road....? Just 1! I also spotted an Evoque, a RR Sport and a couple of FFRRs. And that was it!

Aside from a packed forecourt on a LR dealer I passed in South West Houston, I was staggered at how few there were in this part of the US.

Done a lot of driving in the US over the years and know they aren't a popular marque, but somehow thought with the new models on the scene there would be more!

What is LR's official share of the US passenger car market? Would it even be 0.1%?

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • cji73
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Yulong White

They sold 92,143 units in North America in 2018 which was a 23% increase on 2017. Surprised you didn't see more!

D2, D3, x2 D4's & now the D5
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

so thats 1 LR for every 270sq km then Laughing

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I suspect the LR range has more appeal for the yankees and the Californians. Certainly see plenty of Range Rovers whenever I am in New York.

Down south is perhaps more of a traditional market where US brands and large SUVs have more appeal (sub-5m LRs are probably classed as mid-size)?

Great place to be all the same, hope you've enjoyed Texas (post some pics!). My only experience was a 7-hr layover at Houston, but it had a feel all of it's own even in the airport. Would love to visit properly!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

No probs, here's a few! Most have the Mrs or the kids in, so being selective!

Long way there!

Found a few 'gators!

And even one crazy local who feeds his big pet by hand!

Battleship Texas, which supported the Allied troops on D-Day (absolutely amazing ship to explore) - moored in Houston.

Mission Control at NASA

The Saturn V rocket at NASA - one of only three remaining...

USS Lexington, an awesome aircraft carrier you can tour in Corpus Christi

Just drive onto the beach and enjoy the view - on Mustang Island (in our rental SUV)

No forgetting where you are at breakfast time

Can you imagine this on the M25?

Plenty of party boats on the Texas lakes - not my style, but fun to 'observe'

Some amazing properties backing onto Lake Travis.

Barton Springs Pool in central Austin. And the swimming was amazing!

Was so hoping to find the road to Amarillo, but not on this trip!

HOT HOT HOT in July

Funny looking chap on the windscreen when we came to drive home

The stats at the end of our rental. This Ford Expedition has a 10-speed auto box!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Thanks 747_jk, some great pictures there - really appreciate you taking the time to post them. Those 'gators! It all reminds me that some family road trips to the US are a necessity in a few years time when our daughter (and her soon-to-arrive sister) are a bit older.

That Expedition looks like it would be a handful over here, but just perfect for Texan roads and parking lots.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

I'd say definitely a family must. We're quite partial to our US road trips. The Mrs & I did them for 10 years before the kids arrived, and whilst now we now stay a bit more routed to 2-3 locations over a fortnight (rather than moving on every 1-2 days), the kids love them. Our youngest was asking to go back to America on a weekly basis following last year's summer holiday in Arizona & Nevada.

Aged 3 & 5 currently, they've had a blast. It's a country just so well set up for easy family adventures. The only downside is the exchange rate and the tragedy of things like El Paso at the weekend.

Good luck for when little one number two arrives on the scene!

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Re: Texas... don't expect to see many LRs!

747_JK wrote:
    So I recently spent a fortnight in Texas on holiday, driving 1,500 miles and going between Houston, Corpus Christi and Austin.

How many Discos did I spot on the road....? Just 1! I also spotted an Evoque, a RR Sport and a couple of FFRRs. And that was it!

Aside from a packed forecourt on a LR dealer I passed in South West Houston, I was staggered at how few there were in this part of the US.

Done a lot of driving in the US over the years and know they aren't a popular marque, but somehow thought with the new models on the scene there would be more!

What is LR's official share of the US passenger car market? Would it even be 0.1%?

Come to Colorado. I see RRS's, Disco Sports every day, and Discovery's not infrequently. FFRR's occasionally.

Seeing as how Ford sells a hair under one million F-series pickup trucks each year in the US alone, it's a wonder you see any non-Ford Truck vehicles at all these days.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Indeed I have, and will do again...

Big fan of CO. Places I've enjoyed: Durango, Silverton, Ouray & the '4x4' drive up to Animas Forks ghost town I've done a couple of times... Leadville, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Grand Junction etc. Oh and Estes Park and the RMNP was nice, but just way too busy for me. And Denver, of course.

You live in an AMAZING place!

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum