Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

Start up rattle (and roaring)

So I've been told by the dealer that it's normal for the D5 to roar for a short while on startup (he did say "with the petrol engine" - but not sure if petrol only).

However, at times has a rattle as well. It roars every start up, but it seems to only rattle as well when starting up from cold. Here's a link demonstrating the sound (think muted by default, so be sure to unmute as it does have the sound): https://imgur.com/a/AKw7Fcd

It also has a very aggressive fan when the car is shut off (seems like it's trying to cool the engine really quickly) and there's a constant rush of warm air that hits from beneath the car when standing beside (lasts maybe 5-10s).

---

I'm sure the warm up and cool down are normal, it's more the rattling I'm concerned about...but good to know about all 3 if anyone can advise?

20MY Si4 SE in Eiger Grey/Black Pack/Black Alloys
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Direct injection petrols can be quite tappety. Even the in-line six B58 engine in my 440i was quite tappety from cold, when it was otherwise the epitome of smoothness. Will have a watch and listen of your video later.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

Ah right! It’s not something I’ve ever experienced or come across before, so would be interesting if it sounds like what you’ve had experience of with other petrol engines

• jungle42
    Luxembourg 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hi,
    The roaring is normal but my MY17 Si6 does not rattle (the second sound that comes up in your video), not in cold conditions (-15 in winter) and neither in hot conditions (like 35+)... sounds odd and wrong to me...

MY17 HSE Luxury Corris Grey 3.0 si6 with Black Pack 21 inch
  • BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the feedback Jungle. It does sound strange, almost like metal on metal.
    The dealer now has the video, waiting to hear back from them, if they’re not helpful I’ll head over to my local dealer.
    Do you also have the roaring and gush of air when turning off?

• jungle42
    Luxembourg 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

None of these while turning off..

MY17 HSE Luxury Corris Grey 3.0 si6 with Black Pack 21 inch
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

We have the Si6 3 litre. First 10-15 secs upon startup, sounds just like yours, with alot of smoke emitting from both tail pipes. The noise settles down after this period and goes alot quieter, along with the smoking which is considerably less. (I assumed it was something to do with the supercharger initially).
    I asked the garage, and was told it was normal.
    However yours sounds alot more raspier/throatier than our one. Maybe it's possible that your engine is brand new and not had a chance to bed in, or maybe the 2 litre is supposed to sound like this?
    Not driven the Si4, so I cant compare it too the Si6 soundwise. No roaring or gush of air either when turning it off, nor the aggressive fan.
    Never had an issue on the 3l diesel we briefly had, but the loan car 2l diesel was definately more vocal and harsher sounding. Both diesels were alot quieter on initial start up than the petrol is.
    I myself have a 2.5l turbocharged petrol boxer engine, and it never ever sounds like this upon start up either, whether the engine is hot or cold.
    I suggest you take it back if it sounds like metal on metal. No harm in getting a second opinion. Better safe than sorry. Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

The rattle does sound like an amplified version of the tappety sound from my old 440i. Probably reasonable for a four to be louder than the BMW inline six which is known for smoothness. Roar is a new one on me.

It’s probably fine, but I agree with Road Runner and would head to the dealer for your peace of mind. I’d also ask them to chuck me the keys for any Disco/Disco Sport/Evoque that they have on the forecourt with the same engine - to cold start it for comparison.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

Interesting one on the smoke, can't say with ours that I've noticed more smoke than you'd expect when starting up a petrol, just get a small amount when the engine kicks in after turning over. Beats the diesel Tiguan we traded in for sure, and probably matches our petrol A3.

Thanks for confirming on the turn off, really hard to tell without them confirming if it's supposed to do it, but it doesn't seem it based on Jungle's reply. Initially I thought it's configured it to rapidly cool, but given you don't have that, and Jungle doesn't have it in 35ºc+, also doesn't seem right.

It's just odd that if there is an engine related issue, that it runs ridiculously smoothly with no warnings or concerns otherwise. I have seen that some people have had similar noises with the DS, related to fuel line/pump hydraulics...maybe it's that.

I'll give the dealer I bought from a chance to get back today, otherwise I'll take a trip to our local on Monday.

Thanks Road Runner.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

BobDisco, with regards to the initial smoking on startup, it's akin to someone pressing the accelerator, if that makes sense, but without anyone pressing it.

As I mentioned earlier the smoking virtually disappears between 10-15 secs just like when the foot has been taken off the accelerator, but without being taken off it.

Maybe possible the 3 litre lump emits more smoke than the 2 litre lump does?

Apologies for the confusing description, but that's the best way I can describe it.

I hope it makes sense now.

Keep us posted as I would like to know what the reasoning behind it is and what fairy tale the garage will come up with.

Maybe it's the LR ghost 👻 pressing the pedal too the metal, which my eldest convinced my youngest was the reason Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

My Si4 roars for a short while but no smoke or rattles here.

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

Thanks TazDaz, how about the fan going crazy on turn off for you?

I seem to have narrowed down the area in which the noise is coming from, which is somewhere around the right hand side exhaust (driver side). Obviously hard to tell, but maybe there’s a nut loose or something. Dealer still haven’t gotten back to me, so might call Land Rover Assist out so they can hear it cold start, if I took it to the local dealer it’s unlikely it’ll rattle on next start.

• BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

Land Rover Assist came out, notes:

Intermittent rattle from offside rear on start up from cold only last few seconds when engine on fast idle. No noise at time of test, slight rattle from acoustic exhaust actuator valve on offside rear exhaust pipe. Needs to go into dealer for further test. Also smell coming into vehicle when stationary when engine hot like diesel smell. No Fluid or exhaust leaks found only happens for minute when stationary at junction then goes. Possible due to new vehicle smell. Found plastic clip on air intake pipe going onto intercooler not fitted correctly and rubbing on crankshaft pulley repositioned.

-

Aside from above, we tested different rev limits in attempt to reproduce and technician could feel rattle through acoustic exhaust valve at the same revs the car would be at when experiencing the issue starting from cold.

• TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

BobDisco wrote:
    Thanks TazDaz, how about the fan going crazy on turn off for you?

No, no fan noise (or any other) at all when shutting down ...

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • Browser
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Mine does the same Si4 Petrol.

The start up is petrol fast idle for a about 10 sec, Jag Fpace does the same. The slightly tinny rattle is because on start up only the right side exhaust pipe is open, and the actuator valve is vibrating, its annoying but normal, and you will hear the rattle stop as the valve opens both tail pipes an the idle speed reduces.

In terms of fan roar after shut down is pretty loud but normal, usually on really hot days, the fan comes on to reduce overall engine temp as there is no longer airflow from driving, its there to protect the engine from short overheat.

Hope that helps

2019 HSE LUX
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum