Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• arsi
    Finland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Brake pedal craking noise

During winter my brake pedal has developed a creaking noise. At first it was intermittent but now it creaks every time I push brake pedal.

I have tried to lubricate (spray silicon) every point in the pedal but noise is coming from deeper inside.
    There was one post in the Facebook D5 group about this issue being caused by brake booster.

Anyone here having same issue and can confirm this being coming from booster and does it need to be changed or just lubed?
  • Caussi
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I have the same problem almost since I have the car.( 1.5 years ) The car was many times at the garage to fix it, but without any success. The garage told me last time that the booster was replaced, but the noise is still there. Big Cry

I have extremely high interest in a solution to fix it, because my dealer here in Germany is not able solve it.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Mine going in on Monday to investigate it’s ‘creak’.

Do you get the same noise when you manually press the pedal side to side as opposed to pressing down? Mine does.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

The local LR dealership sprung into action and ‘fixed’ the creak in my brake pedal. It was silent on its return.

Next day... CREEEEAK.

I give up.

Ive now got a ‘squeak’ from the disk brakes/ pads? when I first move the car in the morning. It wears off after three or four brake applications, so guess it’s something has to reseat or warm up???

I had the same issue with my previous D4....so maybe it’s me ....infecting the poor D5. Laughing
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Its standard fit on the D5 from what I can tell....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

I went on the Landrover experience last week and remarked on the fact their discovery pedal didn’t creak. They are equally mystified as it’s the only one in their fleet that doesn’t creak. They declined the suggestion of a pedal swop. 😆 Apparently they mentioned it to Landrover Technical....who don’t know why it happens and don’t have a fix. Rolling Eyes
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I am sure I saw something about needing a whole replacement to stop it creaking, but that they all do it so it probably comes back again!

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Tedworth
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Brake Pedal Noise

My Disco’ was making the squeaky brake pedal noise but it’s finally been fixed.

The solution was to replace the master cylinder and brake booster and the noise appears to have gone.

It’s early days but hopefully the noise won’t be back. The pedal feels different too but I suspect that’s because the parts are new.

Also got the Apple Car Play update which is a huge improvement.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Tedworth...can I ask which dealership dealt with this replacement (as we are both in the east)?

Was it a straight warranty job? Did you have to ‘fight’ for them to do it?

Just like to have some ammunition when I speak to Inchcape(my dealership).
  • Tedworth
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

It was Inchcape in Norwich.

No quibbling, they did it under warranty but it had been in before and not been fixed.

Rob on the service team is very helpful.

Good luck!
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Update

I’ve discovered that the majority of the creaking noise is coming from the brake light switch and specifically its contact with the brake pedal arm. It’s effectively a dry joint.

If I hold back the switch manually and depress the brake pedal independently, there is no creak.

Whether it’s a faulty switch or because it’s required movement in and out in a straight line, is being distorted when contacted by the arcing movement of the pedal arm, it is being pressed and released slightly out of alignment, is not clear. But a dob of grease on the contact point and the plastic shaft itself seems to have quietened down the ‘dry’ joint....for the moment.

Just surprised dealership didn’t spot this when it went in?
  • Labbix

After 16000 km mine started doing it today...
  • frwamati
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Greetings from Austria,

Mine also started at about 15-18.000 km - its a late 2017 HSE TD6 Disco 5.
    I noticed it after picking up the car from the service at the dealer a few months ago.

Since then i dropped the car off 5 times to have this problem examinated and fixed - until now ALL components of the brake assembly (brake switch, brake cylinder, etc...) have been changed to new parts under warranty. Every single part of the assembly has been lubricated but the noise and strange feeling of the brake pedal (its like walking through firm snow....) still persists....

Neither the LR garage, nor myself have any more clues on what it might be......

Nervewreaking for me..... and NO help / solution in sight.

My car now has nearly 40.000 km on the clock....

cheers
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

On my vehicle, if I put a flat screwdriver up between the brake light switch and the pedal arm, then fully press back the brake light switch so it no longer makes contact with the brake pedal arm, then depress the brake pedal... the noise has gone. Which says that on my vehicle it is the interaction of these two causing the noise.

Maybe other vehicles have a different issue?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum