↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Capt Pugwash
    United Kingdom 

‘I want one!’ ...Defender... Do you?

D5 MY19 ANNIVERSARY EDITION sd6 3ltr V6 - Loire blue - 22”alloys
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I was initially wowed and thought it would be fantastic, but looking at the running gear, the engines and the utility focus it is never going to be as nice on road as the Disco 5. I take mine off road, shooting etc, but 95% of the time it is on road, going up and down motorways. The disco is just too good at being the smoot on road / tough off road compromise.

I would love an old defender as an extra car but it is not practical.

Disco 5 does it all for me as my main car (I have an i8 for fun).

HSE Lux in Silver / Black
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I may consider one as my next vehicle, but I'll drive my Disco for a while and see when they start offering all the variants and bells/whistles. At launch in the US, we can't get a D90, can't get a diesel (only P300 and P400 MHEV).

I do like the looks and the capability they seem to offer....

BTW, Hammond's review of its design is, as always the best. Of the three buffoons, he's my favorite.
  • eelpout
    United States 

once I did a build that toned down the K-Pop, bling-bling, too young for me attitude, I found I didn't hate it as much as I originally did.

my lease runs out about the same time these are expected to arrive in the U.S. (1st or 2nd quarter '20 my dealer says) so maybe I'll take a tumble on one. but is it really longer than the D5 but with less capacity?? (on 2nd look, it does appear to have 1 cu ft more "dry" capacity in that extra 2" on the 110).

Plus, it's been a while since I've had to park a vehicle with a tire hanging out the back. Do today's parking sensors take that into account? Wink not to mention (but I will) it totally screws up my usual method of putting my snowboards & skis on a rack on the tow hitch.

I am jealous of some of the tech it'll get, which the Disco won't until what, MY '21 or '22? Sad
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

My trailer hitch bike rack sticks out a good 12-15" from the rear end of my Disco, but I always put my ski gear in the roof box because I don't like layers of winter road grime accumulating on them. If it's just me and the boy, I put one of the seats down and keep them inside. The parking sensor question is a good one though. I'm sure LR will take that into account when they calibrate them.

I'd like to see the side box become a more flexible mount system to accommodate Rotopax or sand ladders or whatever else you could attach there. Right now the configurator says ithe storage box is not "intended" to be removed once installed, whatever that means.

The side-opening rear door could mess with the hitch rack though - my Yakima bike rack pivots down to about a 30-degree angle...I wonder if that would be enough to clear the door as it swings open.

Land Rover recently conducted a survey about what the next Disco should be...so they're already thinking about the next one. In 21-22 it will be 5ish years old on the market, so it will be due for a refresh. It will probably get separated from the Defender more, especially if the Defender starts to cannibalize sales.
  • eelpout
    United States 

Quote:
    The side-opening rear door could mess with the hitch rack though -

my sister had a Lexus GX470 for years, always hated that right handed swing door, intended for the Japan market. The Defender will be no different for the US and many will consider the hinge to be "on the wrong side" and curse having to go around it to get to the curb. Smile
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Good point - I never thought about that.

Did the old Disco I-II with the side-opening door open to the left or the right for LHD models? Maybe they can hinge them on either side in production?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum