Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

At a loss now... fuel / exhaust smell in cabin

On most journeys when coming to a stop, with or without air recirculation on, we're still getting exhaust smell in the cabin (raised another post about this but didn't get reaction as had said I'd follow up after it'd been into dealer).

The dealer are struggling to reproduce, still. I've been in a number of times and sure enough struggled, but have provided more accurate ways to reproduce - even been there and have staff experience the smell (although now they claim it was just a smell they couldn't ascertain rather than exhaust per se).

I'm posting in hope someone else is experiencing this, or comes across it. We have a 20MY Si4 (Petrol). We have had the same engine in a cover car, it had the same issue. We are now in a TD6, also has the same issue. All MY20s.

If anyone that hasn't experienced it is able to test run, here are some steps which tend to always result in the issue:

1. Run the car with Temp set to Low. This forces air recirculation on.
    2. Drive for a period of time (20-30 mins should do it).
    3. Before coming to a stop, have fan set to half speed (about 5/6 pips), and turn temp to 16 degs (this should turn recirculation off).
    4. Remain with car running, smell usually occurs within 10-20s of stopping.
    5. If smell doesn't occur, give the car a good hard rev (7k in Si4, 5-6k in Td6), then wait 10-20s to see if smell occurs. Repeat.

We've basically been told that it's costing them money to look at the car, and they're not being paid to, so since they can't see a visible leak that they'll have JLR tech come out to the car, and if they can't fault it on that occasion then I'll need to pick it up with customer services. I can't see how that'll go in my favour "Has it been to a dealer to investigate" "Yes, they couldn't fault it" "Bye bye"

If you did/can experience the issue in the past, any ideas?

20MY Si4 SE in Eiger Grey/Black Pack/Black Alloys
  • Labbix

Ok, will try to do so, probably on Monday, but MY20 are SD6, not TD6. And I still have a MY18 TD6. But what I found out lately is that even with air circulation on, so only inside air is taken, outdoor exhaust fumes from other cars or smoke or whatever still penetrate, but it’s definitely not from my own car. Will let you know how it goes.
  • BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

Great thank you!

In our case, it’s certainly occurring with no traffic around (could happen on a 5 minute journey at 30mph and when pulling into a car park space blows in either faint/strong fumes)

I was told this RAF car I’m in was also a MY20, perhaps they were mistaken and it’s more likely a MY19.

• Labbix

To my knowledge, for the UK, MY19 was only SD6 as well, but maybe that’s no so important, so will try and let you know as soon as I can with my TD6
  • BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

It is Sd6, I just checked outside, excuse my ignorance. It may not matter, I guess we’ll see. With yours being a MY18 you’d have thought it’d have been raised by a number of people and be known by now. Seems odd these MY20s are 3 for 3 in having the problem.

• Labbix

To be honest, I never noticed it either on my car, but will check. If all goes well I will get a MY20 SD6 in December, so will have a close look on that one as well once I have it.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Hi Bob, I haven’t noticed anything like this at all. I will look closer at mine and let you know. Starting new longer commute this week, will see if that throws something up.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for checking in. It's something you'd probably have noticed by now, but be interested to know how those longer journeys go for you. It doesn't seem to be an issue on short trips in the Sd6 I'm in now, but it's all journey types in the Si4. Hopefully you don't experience anything..

• Labbix

Hi,
    So I did check and didn’t notice anything specific, until;
    5. If smell doesn't occur, give the car a good hard rev (7k in Si4, 5-6k in Td6), then wait 10-20s to see if smell occurs. Repeat.

Not dominant and not really penetrating, but for a few seconds a more stale smell entered. Very strange, will have a check again tomorrow. As I’m still not 100% convinced it’s my brain tricking me or it really is happening. Tomorrow I might be in the car with another person, will repeat the steps and ask him if he notices something...
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Hey Bob, 2x100 mile and 2x38 mile trips in last two days and no issues. I haven’t forced recirculation on though, will try to do that tomorrow.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

Are you sure it’s fuel, could be a few things. Mine had a slight hot plastic smell in the air on for first few weeks.

If you can’t live with it. Other investigation option is air sampling. Rent the equipment or better hire someone. If the result is an issue with the car outside air quality guidance then it’s a different conversation with LR plus a refund of the air sampling expense.
  • Labbix

Tried it again and no issues!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Good points by teaman as well. Mine has plenty of hot stuff smell when parking up after a journey. I put it down to stuff bedding in.

I’m more reassured as I remember the demo X5 I had did the same thing.

• BobDisco
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the testing guys, really appreciate it.

So despite the faff with the dealer, they eventually did speak with an engineer who advised to replace the paper pollen filter that is standard from factory with the activated carbon pollen filter that would normally get swapped out when the car is serviced. We haven't driven the car a huge amount since test driving it after the change, but thought it best to take the car back and see how we get on after this change.

I'm conscious that this doesn't resolve a root cause, but they reassured me that they had also run a smoke test since my previous visit and there were no signs of escaping smoke. It would also indicate why it was happening in my Si4, the cover Si4 and the Sd6...since none of them would have had the carbon filter.

We'll see how it goes and I'll comment back here. I did notice someone on the F-Pace forum (same engine) had the issue and they followed up with the same fix and didn't have any issues.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum