Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Spare Wheel

My turn to do the school run this week, and a message popped up on the dash this morning saying to check the spare wheel pressure.

Not seen this before. Texted Mrs and says she saw it last week but forgot to mention it.

I am aware that the 4 main tyre pressures can easily be checked via the dash.

However can the spare be checked via the dash as well, or is it just a warning that pops up. Was a yellow tyre with an image of where the spare is located.

At first glance I assumed car had got a puncture.

Not keen on unwinding the heavy brute, if I can easily check it on the dashboard.

Am sure from previous posts that new tyres have to be run for a few miles for the TPMS sensors to recalibrate again, so I am assuming that as the spare is stationary it won't show a pressure, or am I wrong?

I would have assumed if it gives you a warning to check it, how hard is it to incorporate a pressure reading. Would be very convenient.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 4th Oct 2019 6:20 am. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

My MY17 has started popping up that message.

Looked under the car and gave it a kick and it seemed OK! Rolling with laughter
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I did the same too, seemed solid Laughing

Still looking for a space saver, 22" if it exists, or another 22" alloy, but no luck so far.

Am sure I have read in the past that it's inadvisable to have different size wheels on the car as will knacker the diffs etc.

However am interested to know if there are owners with say 20" wheels and have an 18" space saver.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 2nd Oct 2019 12:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Do you think it is a time based prompt?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well that's what I was thinking, just a friendly reminder, as it seemed solid. Probably lost a few PSI over the last 12 months.

I did check it last October and was fine, but it's a heavy lump and being a 22" I know the Mrs would definitely struggle if she had to use it, hence the reason I am looking for a much lighter space saver.

Its a pain as the valve is hidden. Be much easier if the valve was accessible whilst the wheel was still in place without having too drop it.

• Labbix

Have my D5 more than a year and never got that message, so not sure if time based.
    Regarding to the tyre sizes: on my other cars my winter tyres are 1 size smaller than my summer tyres and I use one of them as a spare. I did needed it once when was on the summer tyres and so had to use the smaller spare. Didn’t notice any difference to be honest (although no 4x4 car, but the spare one was on the front, so steering tyre). Didn’t drive it for long as went to the shop to buy a new one, other one was not fixable. But no warnings or whatsoever popped up (as for the ABS and traction control I assumed the different sizes make a small difference?)
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well the warning came up again this afternoon, when I was picking the kids up from school.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I checked the cars tyre pressures via the dash.

All 4 tyres were down by 2 PSI. (Tyres were cold when I checked them before someone asks).

First time we have had this warning in the 18 months that we have had the car.

During the summer months, all the tyres were mostly bang on, with the odd one loosing 1 PSI, but never had all 4 loose pressure at once.

I think due too the colder weather we have had during the last few weeks, the temp drop is causing the loss in pressure. Am putting it down to being just a reminder, and nothing to worry about, but better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

Looking too order a 12 inch long valve extension which will make life alot easier, and save dropping the tyre. Hopefully feed it around the side of the tyre, inbetween the foil and the tyre itself, or if easier will try and feed it through the tyres spokes and inbetween the antitheft plate and the inner wheel, if it allows me too.

I also looked at the trailer tyres, and the TPMS valve caps were showing a drop in pressure on both tyres. Went from green too yellow. I had pumped them up 2 weeks ago, and they rarely loose pressure. A bit of a coincidence me thinks, with regards too the recent temperature drop.

Has anyone found out if the spare can be checked via the dash? Thumbs Up

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 2nd Oct 2019 9:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• Lotusdmc
    United Kingdom 

I must be lucky, my brand new MY20 one came with the spare wheel low pressure warning pre installed at the factory!!

MY20 HSE Lux Si4, Carpathian Grey, Light Oyster, Extended Leather, Dynamic Pack 1, Black Roof, Black Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, 22inch Wheels, Park Heat, 3rd Row Heated Seats
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Can you post up a photo of your dash showing all the tyre pressures please.

I will get the Mrs too take a photo tomorrow, if it happens again.

We are only getting a yellow warning with a picture of the wheel, not an actual PSI reading.

I gather your getting a PSI reading as well for the spare wheel, which comes up on the same screen where the rest of the tyre pressures are, or is it a separate screen?

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

It is down to the colder weather coming, your spare may well have been close to the limit previously but over the ownership of the car it has lost a small amount hence the low warning now coming on as the weather cools down, hope that make sense.
    As for displaying the pressure for the spare, I dont think it does, onlygives the warnings you are getting.
    With regards to the extension, that looks good would be intrested to see how you get on with it

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • klinkhammer
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Agree with Russell, cold weather and you don't get a pressure for the spare.
    Very interested to know how you get on with the extension. Can you get one long enough to route to under the rear bumper so you can just pop it out?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks for the response guys Thumbs Up
    Yes I gathered it was due too the cold weather, and as I had suspected there is no pressure for the spare Rolling Eyes

Cars are both usually in the garage, which is heated, but both have been sitting outside on the driveway for the last month.

(Putting in a new kitchen, so garage is full of worktops, units and appliances).

Just ordered the 12" one this morning. If its not successful, I will look into getting a longer one if needed. I will first rotate the spare so that the valve is pointing too the back of the car. Its possible that the one I have ordered is long enough. If not I will look into getting a longer one and possibly tie wrapping it neatly to the back of the towbar. Easy access and out of site. End of the day I want simplicity and can't be bothered wasting time having to constantly wind and unwind it. Anything for an easy life.

Will post up after I have done this Thumbs Up

• Craigp
    England 

Certainly not a annual reminder especially as its come up more than once. It wouldn't know if you had checked or not. I just blow it up to the heavy pressure not had a problem since. Not sure if it looks at what setting you have selected before giving a warning for the spare or alarms when it gets below the light setting.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Still a bit miffed as how the car reads it, even though its not a rotating wheel, or connected to anything as such.

Maybe there are pressure sensors around the metal foil, which then send out a warning when less pressure is detected?

Got this as well, this afternoon. Never noticed it yesterday though.

Apparently the symbol comes up if the pressure drops to at least 20-25% of the the recommended PSI.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Just a quick update. Could not find a longer extension, so just purchased another 2, so that I can daisy chain them together. Thats 3 foot in total, which should be more than adequate. I just hope there is enough clearance for it to be fitted too the valve, once the wheel has been fully screwed up. Would not have been an issue if the wheel was facing downward. Will put up photos with my findings, once they arrive.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum