Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Pumped up all 4 tyres today. Put them up by 2 psi all round, recommended for a light load.

If they do drop again by 2 psi, then they will be bang on the recommended pressure which is displayed on the dash. (Saves me getting the compressor out again, well thats my theory).

However the spare is still coming up with a "check it" message. 100 mile round trip today. A couple of stops enroute, and still saying to check the spare.

Come to the conclusion that it's not just a reminder, which I assumed was linked to the fall in pressure with the rest of the tyres, but it's working independently from the rest of them. Pretty impressive, to say the least Smile

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

No problem with the Disco, but then we rarely see high temperature up here, so it’s set by default to low.

Did have problems with a BMW. If it was out by more than 2 psi, the alarm went off on the dash. You got used to ignoring it.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Need to see what the default setting is then, as it must have been done at the factory or the dealership initially, when they did its PDI.

I have never set it, as I don't know how too, so I need to dig out the dusty manual and see how it's done, as never seen an option or setting come up for this on the tyre pressure screen, if that's where I presume it most likely is?

Have a trip to London in a few weeks time, so last thing I want is to be stranded on the motorway with a partially inflated spare, if the inevitable happens.

I have only checked it once since we got the car. Am sure that during the cars yearly service, that they check the spare as well, or maybe its just a case of ticking all the boxes that it's been done, as no warning has come up, hoping for the best.

Something similar happened on my own car, (non LR) a few years ago when the aftermarket dust caps corroded onto the valve stems. Had ticked the box saying all pressures checked after the first yearly service. The day before I tried WD40, pliers, hairdryer, and mole grips, but to no avail. So I thought maybe they would have an easier way to remove them, as I never told them they were stuck.

When I asked about the pressures being checked on pick up, they said were all fine. So I asked them to show me how they took the caps off. Couldnt budge any of them. Got the story that the heat from the wheels had make them expand and stuck after they test drove it. Well according to the speedometer it's the same mileage when I dropped it off the day before I said. You must have written it down wrong was the answer. I said the tracker never lies not does the dash cam, and I pulled out my mobile, along with a photo of the mileage I had taken. The service manager was trying to pin the blame on the mechanic, saying the car was definitely test driven.

Anyhow a shower of s##t of a garage. Always full of excuses. Needless to say I never bought from them again, and new dealer 65 miles away are so much better and honest. I knew of an issue via my diagnostic tool and they told me what was wrong, faulty O2 sensor, and never tried to rip me off.

Anyway I had to dremill them all off which took about an hour as was not wanting to damage the alloys. I put vaseline on the replacements with no issues after that.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Well I occasionally get the message but not always and it disappears within a few seconds.
    Would say if I have tyre problem then no way am I going to change the wheel that’s what LRA or AA are for. Very Happy

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

The AA and LRA are one of the same up here!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Spare was looked at by the dealer yesterday and inflated. Had lost several psi, but alls good as the dash warning has disappeared.

• Whippetman
    England 

Dangerdave wrote:
    The AA and LRA are one of the same up here!

And here!
    My last puncture was changed by an Independent working for LRA/AA
    Fact is in this type of call you’re happy with anyone who will get you back on the road quickly.
    I wouldn’t try changing the D5 wheel with the scissor jack provided.....

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

I’ve changed wheels with the supplied jack on all my Discos. You’re okay if it’s correctly positioned and on level ground, but yes, you have to be very careful.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

The weight of the spare, along with with the blister inducing, hand hurting, thin flimsy handle doesnt help either. Dropping it is not so bad, but winding it up is a workout in itself. (Have stuck a pair of leather gloves in the boot).

Be alot easier if you could connect an attachment via a cordless drill to help with the process.

Luckily never had a roadside puncture, but use a heavy duty trolly jack, when swapping over from summer too winter wheels, and vice versa. Alot safer than scissor, bottle and high lift jacks in my opinion.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 8th Oct 2019 9:05 am. Edited 1 time in total

• rsr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Lotusdmc wrote:
    I must be lucky, my brand new MY20 one came with the spare wheel low pressure warning pre installed at the factory!!

I have this too, the dealer said they are all like this and it's nothing to worry about.

MY17 Carpathian Grey HSE TDV6, MY18 Indus Silver HSE Lux TDV6. MY20 Lux sd6 Eiger Grey
  • Whippetman
    England 

Dangerdave wrote:
    Thumbs Up

I’ve changed wheels with the supplied jack on all my Discos. You’re okay if it’s correctly positioned and on level ground, but yes, you have to be very careful.

Mine went in single lane and there was no way I’d use the jack, and why should I?
    The handle to wind down the spare wheel is not good but used it whilst awaiting the rescue truck Crying or Very sad

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Not saying you should or shouldn't, just saying I've used it. Thumbs Up
  • Whippetman
    England 

Guy who came to me really struggled with his first attempt with proper jack then had to add blocks to get the proper height as we were on grass verge.
    He was ex Brit Army so cant blame his experience with professional jack.
    Wouldn’t expect my Mrs or yours to try the scissor jack that’s provided on single track let alone a Motorway hard shoulder.
    Yes could probably try on the drive but not when LRA or AA an come out in any weather or road and perform it for you Bow down

• TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

IMHO you should drop the spare and pump at least 10psi over max needed into it.
    That'll stop the message Whistle Whistle
    Plus you can always let some air out if you ever need to use it (or rather LR Assist can do that) Mr. Green

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thats the plan TazDaz. Just waiting for the valve extensions too arrive, and pump 50 psi into the spare. Will post some photos up Thumbs Up

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum