Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonej

Slovakian Discos

Just wondering how people are getting on with their Slovakian built Discos and whether anyone is noticing a drop or (hopefully) an improvement in build quality and reliability? Anyone had any major problems yet?

I’ve now got 1500 miles on mine and so far so good! (Touch wood!!) No creaks or rattles and very happy so far.
  • gavinadams
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Hi Simone,
    My MY19 was built on 24 March. Delivered to me on 5th June. (After a very slow and long boat ride from Hamburg to Sydney)

I’ve done 8500km so far. Including two big trips and also have dine the LRE day.
    No real problems, touch wood.

Only real issues have been with iPhone connectivity.
    Car was delivered with 18D. Currently on 19A waiting for 19b to come through.
    These aren’t Slovakian problems just tech issues.
    I think the bigger thing is the changes to the MY19 from lessons learnt from my17 and my18 to make a more stable/reliable vehicle

D5 MY19 HSE SD4 Loire Blue - Ebony seats / Ebony headlining - Dark Satin brushed aluminium trim - 7 seats - Heated and cooled front seats - Privacy glass - Black roof rails - 360 cameras - Capability plus pack
  • nickground
    United Kingdom 

Apart from a PDi on handover issue mine has done 11500 miles since May with only the tiniest little chirp from the trim (and only when driving down the unmade track to my home- i.e. off road).

A far cry from the Land Rover experiences back in the 80’s.....

Nick

D5 HSE Lux SDV6
    D3 2005
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

All good at 6500 miles Thumbs Up

Andrew
  • simonej

Interesting. Maybe, as mentioned, it’s because they’ve had a couple of years of development now and so have ironed out a few of the issues. Fingers crossed!
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Are all D5s built in Slovakia? I’ve ordered a new Commercial, but salesman says it is built in UK?
  • simonej

As I understood it the whole line has moved. Can’t see why the commercial variant would be any different. I initially saw it as a downside but mine is definitely better put together than my Dad’s 2017 model.
  • Cradgebank
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) S Corris Grey

Think they are built in the Slovakian factory then sent to Solihull SVO for conversion to the Commercial variant.
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mine has a build date of 29 Nov. I didn’t think about being sent back here for conversion. That’s likely to add some time to delivery. Anyone got experience of build time to delivery, for a commercial?
  • simonej

Build to delivery for mine was three weeks, so add a bit on to that for a short stop in Solihull!
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Mine with SD6 engine was delivered 30 April and has so far clocked almost 5000 miles. I know it was built in the new JLR Nitra, Slovakia plant. Overall very nicely finished with no rattles or squeaks and very quiet under all road conditions.
    Have to say wife and I are thus far very pleased with it.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Early days, but impressed so far.

Misaligned lower bumper trim on delivery (haven’t got around to getting it sorted yet) , but that could be delivery damage.

Occasional break up/muddy bass on the hifi at higher volumes - processor/amp issue as the same song can be fine later at the same time? It’s also shut down three times in similar circumstances. Not really a build issue though.

Shudder through structure over motorway potholes (terribly worn lane 1) let’s down the quality perception a little - but that’s design and engineering, not build.

Subjectively, I think the actual manufacturing quality is fine. And the perceived quality is outstanding.

Almost 3k miles, I love it, what a car! July build btw.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Part of the reason for buying LR was it was a British firm and the vehicles were made in the UK. Now that’s all but gone I feel no affinity with the firm, so next time I’ll see what’s on offer irrespective of this.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I know what you are saying Dave. I was drawn to the brand for the same reasons. I still feel some of that as they retain a large manufacturing base here, plus R&D. My Slovakian disco coins will help support that, just not as much as before. Better than lining the pockets of Trumptown and Munich with another BMW Smile

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum