Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I have, in fact, used the supplied scissor jack to change a punctured tire on my D5.

In the mud.

In a snow squall.

At 11,000 feet.

With my wife, son, and a wet, muddy dog in the car. I think my son learned several new words that day.

There was no speaking or eye contact on the drive out of the mountains.

I bought real off road tires after that....
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Arrived today, but it's not long enough if dropping it on the outside of the tyre, which is virtually 12 inches wide.

Waiting for the other 2 too arrive, before I drop the wheel.

Maybe possible to route it inside the wheel between the antitheft plate LR has fitted. Will post up results shortly.

Surprised at the quailty. Alot stiffer and thicker than I thought Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I thought I had read on a different post, that the position of the spares valve relative to the car can have an adverse effect on the warning. i.e. it had to be positioned towards the front of the vehicle to be detected. Does the dash give an 'overpressure' if spare inflated to 50psi?

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks HTS, I never knew that.
    Will look for the post.
    If thats the case, I will just leave the valve at the forward position, and instead extend it from where it is. Hopefully won't cause an issue. Will deflate it with the valve extensions in place, to see if it detects a loss in pressure on the dash.
    Not sure about the overpressure warning either.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

On my 18my, the valve is pointing to the rear of the car, no issues with detection, had to lower the spare last weekend as it was flagging low pressure, checked at 34psi, re-inflated to 50 warning gone, hopefully be ok for another 12 months.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks Trevorb1. Am sure the valve was pointing at the rear on the car, for easier access. Was pumped up at the garage about a month ago, on the same day it was getting the 19B update installed. Not sure if it's position has changed though. Will find out soon when I receive the other 2 connectors.
    I cant see how the valve positioning would make a difference to the warning. Am thinking there must be pressure pads behind the silver foil which must trigger the warning once it gets low or something along those lines.

• Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

RoadRunner, all the TPMS sensors use Radio frequency to transmit, vehicle receiver is in the front of the car, spare needs to be at max load pressure to avoid triggering a low pressure warning.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks, I was aware about the RF, but was not sure about the spare. Makes sense now Thumbs Up

Here was me scratching my head as to how it worked, as I incorrectly assumed that it only worked on a rotating wheel, hence the pressure sensor theory.

I know that there are 2 systems, indirect which I believe work of the ABS, and direct which are more reliable and accurate, which LR use.

Like you say the receiver is at the front of the car, so makes sense of the valve is positioned at the front, but if its RF, then a few feet should not make any difference.

Never had the system on any previous LR models, but it's handy being able to check without getting your hands dirty. Have also got it on my new car and I do like the convenience aspect side of it, even though its a bit more expensive when replacing the valves.

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

You lot jinxed my car. The Censored low pressure on the spare wheel light come on today - cheers for that! Rolling Eyes haven’t decided if I can live with the light on the dash when I start up or not.
  • Labbix

I think you can’t Wink good luck !!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Sorry DangerDave Whistle

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

• RDR
    United Kingdom 

Lotusdmc wrote:
    I must be lucky, my brand new MY20 one came with the spare wheel low pressure warning pre installed at the factory!!

Ours did too!

Picked it up on 1st sept it was complaining the spare was low - dealer said they had checked and it wasn't and to see if it clears over time. Gave it a week and about 300 miles still saying it's low,

I dropped the wheel and checked, it it was at 34psi i gave it a squirt of air upto 35psi and it cleared.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum